Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
Here we go!

"Freedom of movement" is something of a colloquialism. It didn't mean there were never checks anywhere. Some countries are outside of Schengen, so there was. You always needed your passport to fly abroad etc and it was always checked. Now it is stamped, but it needn't be. Thats a choice (some) EU countries have made I believe. They don't have to. Mines been stamped twice. It took no longer at all. A second at most.

Even if all the queues were caused by Brexit (they weren't) as opposed to anything else, they didn't occur on the second weekend of the first full summer holiday post covid and leaving the EU, which rather suggests that if people put their minds to it, then whatever problems are created can be solved within a week anyway.

It's hardly the most compelling reason to have remained in the EU is it.
No - there are certainly lots of other more compelling reasons to have remained in the EU, and delays at Dover are not near the top of my list of biggest concerns either.

But since we're on the subject, are you really trying to argue that 'movement' post-Brexit is as 'free' now as it was when UK was part of the EU but outside Schengen?. ....and this based upon your own '1 second' experience?. There's a good video from Simon Calder posted further up which suggests otherwise, and I imagine he probably knew we weren't in Schengen in pre-Brexit times.

“Freedom of movement” may be a colloquialism but it can also means real things to real people and real businesses when that movement is restricted and it causes things to go tits-up, which is what even JRM is now suggesting happened at Dover.