+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thank you TBG.
    More to follow tbc

another piece of good economic news today from rolls royce hoping to create 40,000 jobs in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59212983

the good news keeps coming for british manufacturing

https://www.mtdmfg.com/podcasts/grea...e-twenty-nine/

Shell chooses UK HQ over Netherlands. Bloody brexidiots.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...netherlands-uk

Just back from travelling through the West Country I couldn't help be struck by the number of advertised job vacancies , which I guess is a healthy thing as business recovers and those job opportunities appear.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Just back from travelling through the West Country I couldn't help be struck by the number of advertised job vacancies , which I guess is a healthy thing as business recovers and those job opportunities appear.
    You guess it's a 'healthy thing'?

We were in Cornwall 2 months ago and there were vacancies everywhere - especially hotels and restaurants, farming and retail.

A fraction of the European workers who used to keep those sectors going are now there and local people can no longer afford to live near a lot of the jobs (the 'cheaper' accommodation options have gone because of second home sales, rent hikes to cash in on Staycation, and the spread of AirBnB etc - even the tent options have shrunk). The only factor that should ease is the Covid self isolation cause of so many places temporarily or permanently closing.

I can't see much that is healthy in that. Brexit self harm followed by government neglect around housing and cost of living has created a crisis from which some will never recover.

You guess it's a 'healthy thing'?

We were in Cornwall 2 months ago and there were vacancies everywhere - especially hotels and restaurants, farming and retail.

A fraction of the European workers who used to keep those sectors going are now there and local people can no longer afford to live near a lot of the jobs (the 'cheaper' accommodation options have gone because of second home sales, rent hikes to cash in on Staycation, and the spread of AirBnB etc - even the tent options have shrunk). The only factor that should ease is the Covid self isolation cause of so many places temporarily or permanently closing.

I can't see much that is healthy in that. Brexit self harm followed by government neglect around housing and cost of living has created a crisis from which some will never recover.
    You are absolutely right IMO to highlight the issue of second homes, AirBnB and the temporary, inevitable rise in prices due to the Covid staycation boom.

Also, whilst unemployment falling is undeniably good news, it's only a collection of regional economic data and the situation in different parts of the country can change, and a huge number of vacancies is no good either - although maybe Cornwall has 'overheated' and this is market correction in action?

I don't see how any of that is related to Brexit however? As I will always state mind, 2020/21 is a statistical washout. An anomaly and we can't compare much due to Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    You are absolutely right IMO to highlight the issue of second homes, AirBnB and the temporary, inevitable rise in prices due to the Covid staycation boom.

Also, whilst unemployment falling is undeniably good news, it's only a collection of regional economic data and the situation in different parts of the country can change, and a huge number of vacancies is no good either - although maybe Cornwall has 'overheated' and this is market correction in action?

I don't see how any of that is related to Brexit however? As I will always state mind, 2020/21 is a statistical washout. An anomaly and we can't compare much due to Covid.
    I agree. So why in thread after thread do you keep providing links to trade data, which in the context of considering the impacts of Brexit are inconclusive at best? Also I'm not sure how the Shell news relates to bigger picture Brexit as you suggest, and confused by your Brexidiocy comment. (Incidentally, are we sure that Shell isn't just forcing the Dutch government's hand to relax it's strict Co2 requirements?). You seem to be clutching at straws a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    I agree. So why in thread after thread do you keep providing links to trade data, which in the context of considering the impacts of Brexit are inconclusive at best? Also I'm not sure how the Shell news relates to bigger picture Brexit as you suggest, and confused by your Brexidiocy comment. (Incidentally, are we sure that Shell isn't just forcing the Dutch government's hand to relax it's strict Co2 requirements?). You seem to be clutching at straws a bit.
    I will only respond with such data when people make unsubstantiated claims that Brexit is a DISASTER, that THE END IS NIGH that everyone who voted for it is an IDIOT etc.

I will do that in order to try and restore some semblance of sanity and balance. I'd do the same if the reactionary arguments were in the other direction (they never are).

On balance I think Brexit will be moderately positive for the UK. but I don't think it will transform the country positively or negatively to the extent some fanatics do.

The Shell news, again, is just to highlight the inaccurate tone of much of the debate and to satirise those who insult people for having a view that clearly, on balance, is not the disaster they predicted. That said, I do try not to post anecdotal things like that and try to stick to the bigger picture and it's fair enough to pull me up on it I suppose.

Hope that helps.

I will only respond with such data when people make unsubstantiated claims that Brexit is a DISASTER, that THE END IS NIGH that everyone who voted for it is an IDIOT etc.

I will do that in order to try and restore some semblance of sanity and balance. I'd do the same if the reactionary arguments were in the other direction (they never are).

On balance I think Brexit will be moderately positive for the UK. but I don't think it will transform the country positively or negatively to the extent some fanatics do.

The Shell news, again, is just to highlight the inaccurate tone of much of the debate and to satirise those who insult people for having a view that clearly, on balance, is not the disaster they predicted. That said, I do try not to post anecdotal things like that and try to stick to the bigger picture and it's fair enough to pull me up on it I suppose.

Hope that helps.
    it seems the office for budget responsibility doesn't agree, thy think that Brexit has been twice as harmful for the UK economy than covid 19 has

Are you claiming that the absence of so many European workers in Cornish hospitality and farming in particular (true of other sectors too) is nothing to do with Brexit? Covid travel restrictions have contributed to the acute labour shortage but everyone I spoke to during a 17 day walking holiday there only 2 months ago put Brexit forward as the main cause. Hotels and restaurants were shut as a result and in some areas crops were left in the fields. I expect most of them voted for Brexit - but they were clear about the local impact.

Are you claiming that the absence of so many European workers in Cornish hospitality and farming in particular (true of other sectors too) is nothing to do with Brexit? Covid travel restrictions have contributed to the acute labour shortage but everyone I spoke to during a 17 day walking holiday there only 2 months ago put Brexit forward as the main cause. Hotels and restaurants were shut as a result and in some areas crops were left in the fields. I expect most of them voted for Brexit - but they were clear about the local impact.
    Brexit didn't make anyone leave. It granted leave to remain to millions, including hundreds of thousands more than we thought were here.

The pandemic meant many chose to go home, understandably so at such a worrying time but they have a right to come back.

You can't seperate it from the pandemic. And crops have always been left in fields. Its just the stories get retweeted with gusto when it's brexit related.

There are tens of thousands of coffee shops in the UK. The guardian won't struggle to find one to write an article to bump up the clicks.

If the country's economy was reliant on uncontrolled levels of migration forever, then it's not a sustainable economy.

We are in the midst of a political change, and a pandemic. I suggest it's wise to see how we emerge as we come out.

“Employers are telling us that lots of people, even if granted settled status, have chosen to return to their native countries,”

Tell me, with a global pandemic raging and total uncertainty, and a lock down, would you stay here or return home? There is every chance those with settled status will return to the UK after the pandemic.

There are tens of thousands of coffee shops in the UK. The guardian won't struggle to find one to write an article to bump up the clicks.

If the country's economy was reliant on uncontrolled levels of migration forever, then it's not a sustainable economy.

We are in the midst of a political change, and a pandemic. I suggest it's wise to see how we emerge as we come out.

“Employers are telling us that lots of people, even if granted settled status, have chosen to return to their native countries,”

Tell me, with a global pandemic raging and total uncertainty, and a lock down, would you stay here or return home? There is every chance those with settled status will return to the UK after the pandemic.
    OK - so if I’ve got it right there may or may not be major staff shortages in various sectors but The Guardian has manufactured the stories whatever the truth.

And if there are staff shortages it is probably due to Covid and Brexit has nothing to do with it - despite the opinions of employers and trade organisations who know the people and the timeline.

And there has always a been a problem of crops left to rot in fields, even though the recent problems in Cornwall were due to the absence of European workers in the past few years which Brexit voting locals attributed to Brexit not Covid.

Thankfully you are here to put them right.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...out-eu-workers

....boss, Simon Turner, 64, is at the end of his tether. “It’s horrendous,” he says. “Brexit has killed us. It’s going to destroy us. My business survived Covid, but I don’t think we’ll get over Brexit.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...out-eu-workers

....boss, Simon Turner, 64, is at the end of his tether. “It’s horrendous,” he says. “Brexit has killed us. It’s going to destroy us. My business survived Covid, but I don’t think we’ll get over Brexit.”
    Covid also added to the problem as borders and entry from certain countries were severely restricted, tough job and living in a 6 berth caravan? Workers heaven ?

Europe's financial centres have given up hope of triggering an exodus of companies and jobs away from London in the wake of Brexit.

The head of Luxembourg's government finance agency said relocations from the City are “basically over” with London’s crown as Europe’s financial services capital intact.

Nicolas Mackel, chief executive of Luxembourg for Finance, said: “It's obvious London is and will remain Europe's most important financial services industry."

He told The Telegraph: “The relocations*were basically over after 2018. Why? Because the industry, at least the large players, wanted to be ready by March 2019, which was the initial date for Brexit.”

However, he warned that London will no longer be the “automatic choice” for attracting new business due to Brexit and will face tougher competition from European hubs.*

Britain’s vote to leave the EU triggered warnings of a mass exodus from the City that would cost hundreds of thousands of jobs. However, London has avoided the gloomiest predictions with only an estimated 7,500 jobs leaving for European hubs,*such as Dublin, Paris, Luxembourg and Frankfurt.

Miles Celic, chief executive at TheCityUK, also said that the “movement of capital and people as a direct consequence of Brexit is largely complete”.

There were concerns earlier this year that the Brexit deal's limited agreements on financial services would hit the Square Mile.

Europe's financial centres have given up hope of triggering an exodus of companies and jobs away from London in the wake of Brexit.

The head of Luxembourg's government finance agency said relocations from the City are “basically over” with London’s crown as Europe’s financial services capital intact.

Nicolas Mackel, chief executive of Luxembourg for Finance, said: “It's obvious London is and will remain Europe's most important financial services industry."

He told The Telegraph: “The relocations*were basically over after 2018. Why? Because the industry, at least the large players, wanted to be ready by March 2019, which was the initial date for Brexit.”

However, he warned that London will no longer be the “automatic choice” for attracting new business due to Brexit and will face tougher competition from European hubs.*

Britain’s vote to leave the EU triggered warnings of a mass exodus from the City that would cost hundreds of thousands of jobs. However, London has avoided the gloomiest predictions with only an estimated 7,500 jobs leaving for European hubs,*such as Dublin, Paris, Luxembourg and Frankfurt.

Miles Celic, chief executive at TheCityUK, also said that the “movement of capital and people as a direct consequence of Brexit is largely complete”.

There were concerns earlier this year that the Brexit deal's limited agreements on financial services would hit the Square Mile.
    *only 7500 jobs lost*

Are you posting this as a positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Are you posting this as a positive?
    Yes as the predictions were a mass exodus 150 k work there , if the predictions came true it would have devastated the economy as it contributes 10% of the UK's total economic its also the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry and generates a trade surplus greater than all other net exporting industries combined.

Yes as the predictions were a mass exodus 150 k work there , if the predictions came true it would have devastated the economy as it contributes 10% of the UK's total economic its also the largest tax payer, the biggest exporting industry and generates a trade surplus greater than all other net exporting industries combined.
    Sometimes I wonder if you are you a badly written bot.

Nearly every 'prediction' of doom regarding Brexit has proven to be totally untrue. I can't think of a single one that hasn't? Maybe something around some fishing problems? Perhaps it's true when you re-read it that the predictions referred only to teething problems hidden behind apocalyptic headlines?

It was always going to be so, for three key reasons.

1 / the public generally don't vote against their own economic interests.

2 / the predictions were always nakedly political and impossible to obtain a genuine non partisan prediction for

3 / even if the predictions were true (and they werent) when circumstances or variables change then the results change. So for example if importing something from abroad did become trickier (and in some cases it has) then the purchaser is now probably buying the same product from within the UK. There's no net economic cost, just a change

Nearly every 'prediction' of doom regarding Brexit has proven to be totally untrue. I can't think of a single one that hasn't? Maybe something around some fishing problems? Perhaps it's true when you re-read it that the predictions referred only to teething problems hidden behind apocalyptic headlines?

It was always going to be so, for three key reasons.

1 / the public generally don't vote against their own economic interests.

2 / the predictions were always nakedly political and impossible to obtain a genuine non partisan prediction for

3 / even if the predictions were true (and they werent) when circumstances or variables change then the results change. So for example if importing something from abroad did become trickier (and in some cases it has) then the purchaser is now probably buying the same product from within the UK. There's no net economic cost, just a change
    I thought even you, with your deeply entrenched position, had accepted that it is still too early to be able to judge this one way or the other. In the meantime, as has already been highlighted in this thread, the Office of Budget Responsibility has predicted:

"The new trading relationship will reduce long-run productivity by 4 per cent relative to remaining in the EU"

"Both exports and imports will be around 15 per cent lower in the long run than if the UK had remained in the EU"

"New trade deals with non-EU countries will not have a material impact".

Those are precisely the 'predictions of doom' that people were making. However, maybe the OBR is wrong and you are right. We don't know yet, do we?. I have also heard some say that a 4% hit on GDP is worth it to have 'taken back control'. I don't personally see it that way. A 4% hit on GDP means real people losing real jobs.

Also, you should look beyond your focus on the economy. Those of us against leaving predicted that there could be some real issues in terms of implementing Brexit in practice in Ireland, and in terms of our wider relationships/status with our neighbours and beyond. If you think that things are turning out well in that respect then I would disagree with you.

Hope this helps

You've just written some predictions there. Not facts. The facts show that almost five years after the vote the UK is generally performing on a par with the EU and a year after leaving we are generally outperforming our peers - needless to say the pandemic makes a proper analysis impossible but you can only go on the facts at hard.

This isn't what was promised by the 'Britain Stronger in Europe' case which predicted house price crashes, rising unemployment, a stock market crash and an immediate recession.

All nonsense. There's an analysis of it here.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...aged-the-worst

I really don't know why people keep harking back to a time now more than five years in the past. There's pros and cons, sure, but just focusing on the negatives will just mean you don't see or exploit the opportunities and will grow increasingly bitter. Times have changed.