+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Youd presume wrong which isnt suprising after your 1 second check claim.
    Well, the Port of Dover said they welcomed 45,000 cars on the weekend just gone
    https://www.doverport.co.uk/about/ne...-resour/13692/

The guardian reported that 33,000 used the port the week before (when there were horrendous queues)
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...vel-disruption

Euronews reported 30,000 used it the week before.
    https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...k-travel-chaos

So if anything, it seems the port was busier on the weekend just gone But thankfully we rejoined the EU last wednesday, so all the problems were sorted. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I know that a dwindling number of the hardcore set like to share memes such as the above on twitter, but it really is no response to the fact based post I posted above. The reality is that you seemed to want to incorrectly blame something, not the other way round..

I'll take it as a compliment

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    In all seriousness, what does this even mean? Powerful?

Why would a German passport be more powerful than a French? Why is a Japanese one more powerful than any EU nations one? Where's the US? Those passports carry some weight, especially when I'm watching films and someone gets into difficulty abroad..

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I know that a dwindling number of the hardcore set like to share memes such as the above on twitter, but it really is no response to the fact based post I posted above. The reality is that you seemed to want to incorrectly blame something, not the other way round..

I'll take it as a compliment
    Facts like 1 second passport checks?

Jonny boy...

Many people's knee-jerk response was to bLaMe BrExIT. Others said it was related to staffing issues on the French side. But we are still outside the EU, and the horrendous queues were not repeated, which suggests that the first theory was perhaps not correct.

I'll grant you though, your version of bingo is more fun, as at least there are a few options. The alternative version just has two words on it "Brexit" and "Tories". At least City won on the weekend, or else you'd be blaming that on Brexit too.

Why would a German passport be more powerful than a French? Why is a Japanese one more powerful than any EU nations one? Where's the US? Those passports carry some weight, especially when I'm watching films and someone gets into difficulty abroad..
    it refers to the number of countries you can travel to without needing a visa I think .

From a story in the Telegraph

Oh, another meme

You could, of course, have referred to the contraction in manufacturing in the Eurozone yesterday versus the continued growth (albeit slowing) in the UK. That would have been a like for like comparison of near real time data between the UK and the Eurozone

Lemme guess...the echo chamber insulation kept those facts out? Manufacturing in contraction in the Eurozone?! Reach for an anti-brexit meme Tarquin!

https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-ar...ufacturing-pmi
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ufacturing-pmi

Oh, another meme

You could, of course, have referred to the contraction in manufacturing in the Eurozone yesterday versus the continued growth (albeit slowing) in the UK. That would have been a like for like comparison of near real time data between the UK and the Eurozone

Lemme guess...the echo chamber insulation kept those facts out? Manufacturing in contraction in the Eurozone?! Reach for an anti-brexit meme Tarquin!

https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-ar...ufacturing-pmi
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...ufacturing-pmi

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-dover-delays

'Jacob Rees-Mogg: I was wrong to say Brexit would not cause Dover delays'.

It's the most amount of countries you can get into without a Visa, a clear loss since Brexit is it not?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-dover-delays

'Jacob Rees-Mogg: I was wrong to say Brexit would not cause Dover delays'.
    This is breathtaking:

JRM: "The point I was making was that the only delays would be caused by the French if they decided not to allow British people to pass through freely. They have decided to do that".

He obviously wanted an end to free movement, except of course for us Brits. Really sums up the attitude of him and the other Brexiters in a nutshell.

Anyway, at least he has got there eventually with his admission over the delays. Only James left now

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It's the most amount of countries you can get into without a Visa, a clear loss since Brexit is it not?
    Yes, although there are numerous definitions of the word 'powerful'. Pretty certain a US passport is pretty powerful in certain circumstances and having a British passport is probably more powerful than a Singaporean one in certain situations abroad. As mentioned below, this is the reference to power in terms of visa free travel, which is useful more than powerful, but there we go. That's why i was asking

https://www.onlinevisa.com/news/worl...%202nd%20place.

Still, it looks like the EU passports have visa free access to between 182 and 190 countries. Great.

The UK has visa free access to 187, so is more POWERFUL than a Belgian by the looks of it. POWER!!

The loss of the freedom to automatically live wherever you want in the EU is a loss of Brexit. I'm not sure the above is that dramatic. I wonder what the single country the Dutch can have visa free travel to that we can't is for example?

Yes, although there are numerous definitions of the word 'powerful'. Pretty certain a US passport is pretty powerful in certain circumstances and having a British passport is probably more powerful than a Singaporean one in certain situations abroad. As mentioned below, this is the reference to power in terms of visa free travel, which is useful more than powerful, but there we go. That's why i was asking

Still, it looks like the EU passports have visa free access to between 182 and 190 countries. Great.

The UK has visa free access to 187, so is more POWERFUL than a Belgian by the looks of it. POWER!!

The loss of the freedom to automatically live wherever you want in the EU is a loss of Brexit. I'm not sure the above is that dramatic. I wonder what the single country the Dutch can have visa free travel to that we can't is for example?
    Powerful, in the context of passports, also means things like consular support in case of emergencies as well as visa-free travel.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Powerful, in the context of passports, also means things like consular support in case of emergencies as well as visa-free travel.
    Yeah that's what I think too. Essentially a passport for a powerful country is always a powerful passport. I think I would rather be stuck in a tricky situation abroad with an American passport over one from Luxembourg or Singapore.

I agree though, the number of Visa free countries it allowed access to is also part of the mix however, and at 187 for the UK, versus a near identical average for the EU and only six below Japan at 193, I think we can all be reasonably satisfied. Would be interesting to know what those countries are mind.

Probably bigger issues for most of us to worry about.

Yeah that's what I think too. Essentially a passport for a powerful country is always a powerful passport. I think I would rather be stuck in a tricky situation abroad with an American passport over one from Luxembourg or Singapore.

I agree though, the number of Visa free countries it allowed access to is also part of the mix however, and at 187 for the UK, versus a near identical average for the EU and only six below Japan at 193, I think we can all be reasonably satisfied. Would be interesting to know what those countries are mind.

Well it depends where. If you're in China or Brazil, the Singapore passport is better than an American one. That's what its counting, the number of countries where it's better.

I would have thought this was your kind of thing. Analysis and data with a clear and easy conclusion, rather than just gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Well it depends where. If you're in China or Brazil, the Singapore passport is better than an American one. That's what its counting, the number of countries where it's better.

I would have thought this was your kind of thing. Analysis and data with a clear and easy conclusion, rather than just gut feeling.
    It is my kind of thing! And I approve of the liberal use of flags here..

I'm just not sure that powerful is the best wording when you are assessing one particular element of a passport - a very important one, but there are other roles a passport serves too, which is why I asked whether it considered those.

Anyway, it is interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    This is breathtaking:

JRM: "The point I was making was that the only delays would be caused by the French if they decided not to allow British people to pass through freely. They have decided to do that".

He obviously wanted an end to free movement, except of course for us Brits. Really sums up the attitude of him and the other Brexiters in a nutshell.

Anyway, at least he has got there eventually with his admission over the delays. Only James left now
    It reminds me of the Alamo.

I guess it's not the actual numbers that are concerning at this stage, more the trend if that continues.

we were able to visit more countries than any other nation without a visa, now we are 13th on that list.
    what will be the situation in 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    This is breathtaking:

Here we go!

"Freedom of movement" is something of a colloquialism. It didn't mean there were never checks anywhere. Some countries are outside of Schengen, so there was. You always needed your passport to fly abroad etc and it was always checked. Now it is stamped, but it needn't be. Thats a choice (some) EU countries have made I believe. They don't have to. Mines been stamped twice. It took no longer at all. A second at most.

Even if all the queues were caused by Brexit (they weren't) as opposed to anything else, they didn't occur on the second weekend of the first full summer holiday post covid and leaving the EU, which rather suggests that if people put their minds to it, then whatever problems are created can be solved within a week anyway.

It's hardly the most compelling reason to have remained in the EU is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I guess it's not the actual numbers that are concerning at this stage, more the trend if that continues.

we were able to visit more countries than any other nation without a visa, now we are 13th on that list.
    what will be the situation in 10 years?
    Statistically speaking, thats a fair point, although I think we all know in practice that it's unlikely to fall at that same rate. As we can see below, the three most 'powerful' passports in the world are non-EU ones. The power of different EU nations varies considerably and is about on a par with the UK, which is more 'powerful' than several EU countries, including Belgium.

Personally I suspect the level will stay the same, dependent upon diplomatic relations more than anything

https://www.onlinevisa.com/news/worl...%202nd%20place

It is my kind of thing! And I approve of the liberal use of flags here..

I'm just not sure that powerful is the best wording when you are assessing one particular element of a passport - a very important one, but there are other roles a passport serves too, which is why I asked whether it considered those.

Anyway, it is interesting!
    Well this is the name and methodology used, so I'm not sure what we can do about it

Well flying out of Bristol Saturday morning.

Interesting to see how it all compares to pre - Brexit.