+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Positive:

New Siemens Train plant build in Goole ( bit of levelling up there as well as well as post Brexit )

200 million Investment
    700 direct jobs
    1,700 supply jobs
    250 construction jobs

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Positive:

New Siemens Train plant build in Goole ( bit of levelling up there as well as well as post Brexit )

200 million Investment
    700 direct jobs
    1,700 supply jobs
    250 construction jobs
    No one actually cares about jobs, when there's artwork to criticise.

Speaking of the guardian, brexit, good news, bad news, reality and perception..as we often do..

Here is a good example of how that publication works:

The story is of interest. About a company the government cited that is now not doing so well. That's always a risk when any government does this, but it's also inevitable. Not every company supported or cited by a government will succeed.

But the story is framed as how Brexit is a disaster for exports. The reader is left in no doubt that their belief going into the article will not have changed by the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-customer-left

Only half way through do we see the fact that: "Goods exports from the UK to the EU reached £16.9bn in May, the highest level since figures started in 1997."

Surely that is the bigger story here, no? In a country of 65m people, there will always be good and bad anecdotes to tell, but the bigger picture matters more, surely? It may be inconvenient to the papers editorial stance or what readers want to read but still.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s so this Government though - they set a target of 66 million visitors and less than 250,000 turn up.
    I'm not surprised, who'd want to go and see that eyesore? It's worse than Butlins!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Speaking of the guardian, brexit, good news, bad news, reality and perception..as we often do..

Here is a good example of how EVERY publication works:

The story is of interest. About a company the government cited that is now not doing so well. That's always a risk when any government does this, but it's also inevitable. Not every company supported or cited by a government will succeed.

But the story is framed as how Brexit is a disaster for exports. The reader is left in no doubt that their belief going into the article will not have changed by the end.

Only half way through do we see the fact that: "Goods exports from the UK to the EU reached £16.9bn in May, the highest level since figures started in 1997."

Surely that is the bigger story here, no? In a country of 65m people, there will always be good and bad anecdotes to tell, but the bigger picture matters more, surely? It may be inconvenient to the papers editorial stance or what readers want to read but still.
    Fixed it for you

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Fixed it for you
    You're right of course, although according to this at least, looking at the two main parties, the Guardian stands out with the Telegraph as having the greatest disparity. Mail, Sun, Times, FT, Mirror etc, all have a more politically diverse readership. The other element being that it thinks of itself as an open minded newspaper and readership, whereas I don't think it is..politically anyway.

https://www.statista.com/chart/9897/...er-readership/

Anyway, like I said, I think the article above illustrates that well. It's like having a headline saying DISASTER AS CHELSEA CONCEDE 20 CORNERS IN ONE GAME and then dropping into it half way through that they won the game 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Here is a good example of how that publication works:

You keep posting the same thing over and over and over again.

Why not try and elevate the discussion? Try a different angle.

Start by posting all of the stories of people who have materially benefitted because of Brexit. You keep saying there are good and bad anecdotes. Post links to some of the good ones. Every time you've been asked to do this in this thread you disappear. Put all these good news Brexit stories out there and we can take our own view. Who knows, if they are compelling enough we might even start thinking James was right all along.

You make a fair point Peter. I think a comparison with most western european countries does make compelling evidence, as does the data in the article it factors in tens of thousands of exporters, not just one.

I also think we have too much of a bad news led media (irrespective of political position) in this country, although that is probably the same the world over too.

Nonetheless, you do make a fair point..let me see what I can do..

Pretty stark everyone else bouncing back with a V shaped recovery in April in that first graph while we stayed relatively flat.

I still don’t see an actual positive from it, surely we should be seeing something significant by now?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder’s Mam View Post
    Pretty stark everyone else bouncing back with a V shaped recovery in April in that first graph while we stayed relatively flat.

I still don’t see an actual positive from it, surely we should be seeing something significant by now?
    the trade deficit is the most concerning thing, every month millions of pounds are leaving the economy, the country is becoming poorer

Trade deficit's little to do with brexit -

The EU's trade deficit is at record levels;
    https://tradingeconomics.com/europea...lance-of-trade

Eurozones is at second highest ever recorded;
    https://tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/balance-of-trade

Reason for those is the cost of importing fuel.