+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Although it's an urban myth that Mao stated that it was too early to tell what the effects of the French Revolution were, it's very early days to make an objective valuation about Brexit in this unusual short-term.
    From a personal perspective, a friend of mine works in a food export business which is now laying off staff due to the bureacracy, difficulties and expense of exporting perishable food to the EU - and that's after they lost a quite a few EU citizens who were members of staff in the warehouse and decamped earlier this year due to Brexit. It seems that the company is either going to relocate in The Netherlands or go out of business. A singular anecdote and meaningless in the great scheme of things perhaps.
    I also spend one weekend a month walking the South West Coast Path and staff shortages in pubs, cafés and restaurants are commonplace. It's not totally clear as to how much that problem is down to Covid and/or Brexit respectively but let's wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Although it's an urban myth that Mao stated that it was too early to tell what the effects of the French Revolution were, it's very early days to make an objective valuation about Brexit in this unusual short-term.
    From a personal perspective, a friend of mine works in a food export business which is now laying off staff due to the bureacracy, difficulties and expense of exporting perishable food to the EU - and that's after they lost a quite a few EU citizens who were members of staff in the warehouse and decamped earlier this year due to Brexit. It seems that the company is either going to relocate in The Netherlands or go out of business. A singular anecdote and meaningless in the great scheme of things perhaps.
    I also spend one weekend a month walking the South West Coast Path and staff shortages in pubs, cafés and restaurants are commonplace. It's not totally clear as to how much that problem is down to Covid and/or Brexit respectively but let's wait and see.
    However, one does get the impression lots of folk are (preying?) Brexit turns out to be a success for political reasons and are keen to shut down debate at the earliest opportunity.

These (hawks?) seem anxious to get their retaliation in as early as they can. So much for these raptors. Maybe Brexit will be destined to be debated upon till the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Quite right. We need to wait and see.

In the meantime we will all draw our own conclusions and interpretations from news as it emerges.

In that context, this looks a little desperate

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1976711.html

(CAVEAT, DISCLAIMER etc: It's from the 'lefty' independent, contains no facts and figures, and may well result in 'confirmation bias' )

20211219_210416.jpg

here's an unexpected bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    However, one does get the impression lots of folk are (preying?) Brexit turns out to be a success for political reasons and are keen to shut down debate at the earliest opportunity.

These (hawks?) seem anxious to get their retaliation in as early as they can. So much for these raptors. Maybe Brexit will be destined to be debated upon till the end of time.
    No, not 'preying'. You did ask.

More fantastic news for the farmers the fisherman and the UK https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...eveals-1361797

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    More fantastic news for the farmers the fisherman and the UK https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...eveals-1361797

Whatever became of that slogan "No Deal is better than a bad deal" I wonder?

The way this thread works...

People post predictions of bad news.
    Others post real news that tends to show these things not coming true.
    Repeat for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Repeat for five years.

No, the way this thread works....

People post news stories about the bad impact of Brexit.

You and LOM then pop up to say it is all due to Covid.... and we won't know the real impact for 5 years.

And repeat (endlessly)....

In a bright red bus, ad infinitum. If it worked first time .........

This thread explains the difficulties businesses face from January. More Brexit madness.

https://twitter.com/daniellambert29/...346475010?s=21

Repeat for five years.
    Spot on .

There isn't a clear brexit picture yet due to Covid that's fairly accepted .

I don't think any success from Brexit will be welcomed by leave voters.

There's a lot of bitterness about ..

Strange debate Brexit, as it divided left and right politics, split parties , even families and friends.

Just need to move on now .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Spot on .

Strange debate Brexit, as it divided left and right politics, split parties , even families and friends.

Bingo!

Spot on .

This will never move on!

Get the foreigners out, that’s what we voted for. Whoops get the foreigners back we need them https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59785227

Absolute farce.

Spot on .

strange you say that cos in the good ol' US of A

Spot on .

The architects of Brexit would just love that. Raab was on the other day saying that we need to stop talking about Brexit. I wonder why.

It's not going to happen though. The Brexit crew will be rightly held to account for years to come.

Spot on .

Just need to move on? Good god that sentence is so entirely predictable. When things are so obviously going badly the right trot out the line 'now is not the time' or 'just need to move on'

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Just need to move on? Good god that sentence is so entirely predictable. When things are so obviously going badly the right trot out the line 'now is not the time' or 'just need to move on'

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so damaging.
    I think to try and illustrate my point better about how many of you are being played by sensationalist headlines whose sole purpose is to create shares amongst fanatics and drive up advertising revenue, I shall start posting these ridiculous anti-brexit "predictions" post event, so we can more clearly see them for how ridiculous they are.

This week's nonsense. How Brexit will ruin Christmas. Actually if anything i've noticed shops fuller than usual. I've struggled to get some stuff before but not this year. Although I did make my own bread sauce to avoid brexit ruining Christmas.

Have a lovely boxing day all and if you must box remember to punch a leave voter for DESTROYING Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fect-christmas

Spot on .

I think to try and illustrate my point better about how many of you are being played by sensationalist headlines whose sole purpose is to create shares amongst fanatics and drive up advertising revenue, I shall start posting these ridiculous anti-brexit "predictions" post event, so we can more clearly see them for how ridiculous they are.

This week's nonsense. How Brexit will ruin Christmas. Actually if anything i've noticed shops fuller than usual. I've struggled to get some stuff before but not this year. Although I did make my own bread sauce to avoid brexit ruining Christmas.

Have a lovely boxing day all and if you must box remember to punch a leave voter for DESTROYING Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fect-christmas
    I'll counter your irrelevant anecdote with £12 billion lost in trade in October.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-10/...ade-in-october

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I'll counter your irrelevant anecdote with £12 billion lost in trade in October.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-12-10/...ade-in-october
    Just another sensationalist headline. James's local Tesco was busy so everything with Brexit is going swimmingly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Just another sensationalist headline. James's local Tesco was busy so everything with Brexit is going swimmingly well.
    Sky News just reporting Boxing Day footfall reduced dramatically this morning. In all fairness, Omicron struck me as the major culprit of this but who knows?

One thing that I have been ruminating about recently is that if everyone had pre knowledge of what was round the corner with Covid looming, would the majority have voted differently with Brexit? I mean, would it have crossed people's minds; do we really need to experiment during challenging circumstances?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...has-gone-badly

16% of those who voted for Brexit said they had expected it to go badly and had been proved right.

I know it will be shit.....but hey, what the hell!

All these sensational headlines keep on coming

British cheesemaker says Brexit and subsequent trade deals have cost his firm £270,000. “biggest disaster that any government has ever negotiated in the history of trade negotiations”.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ver-negotiated

Did anyone think that Brexit wouldn't prove difficult in the first fee years ??

Of course it will , and no body at this point in time how it will look .

The UK joined in 1973 I think ? It will take a good 5 years to say it is good or bad.

One way of testing public opinion would be for Labour to announce thier main next election platform would be re entry to Europe along with the Liberals and SNP .

Boris could be done then or would he ?