+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Another Brexit Bonus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Another Brexit Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Nearly £90 quid for use of mobile abroad with roaming passes for me.

It all keeps adding up.
    Not for everyone , it depends on your provider / contract .

Most outlets, hotels , restaurants/ pubs have free wi fi and guess what you can switch your data off, and hey when out about just enjoy your holiday and try your device dependency.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Countries experiencing conflict, upheaval or major economic problems in 2022 are expected to see inflation rates far above the global average of 7.4 percent. Among them are Venezuela, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Turkey, Yemen and Argentina.

https://www.statista.com/chart/27480...on-by-country/

Ffs. Did you really use this as your best hit
    Keep chuckling ;
    Euro area annual inflation is expected to be 8.1% in May 2022, up from 7.4% in April according to a flash estimate from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union

The annual inflation rate for the United States is 8.3% for the 12 months ended April 2022 after rising 8.5% previously, according to U.S. Labor Department data published May 11.

China Inflation Exceeds Forecasts as Lockdowns Roil Supplies
    PPI rose 8% in April, higher than the 7.8% forecast in survey
    Rising food costs in April drove consumer inflation up to 2.1%.

Bugger all to with with Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Keep chuckling ;
    Euro area annual inflation is expected to be 8.1% in May 2022, up from 7.4% in April according to a flash estimate from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union

The annual inflation rate for the United States is 8.3% for the 12 months ended April 2022 after rising 8.5% previously, according to U.S. Labor Department data published May 11.

China Inflation Exceeds Forecasts as Lockdowns Roil Supplies
    PPI rose 8% in April, higher than the 7.8% forecast in survey
    Rising food costs in April drove consumer inflation up to 2.1%.

Bugger all to with with Brexit
    Who said your stupidity was anything to do with Brexit. You just couldn't bear to make your fatuous point whilst staring at a map that had France in a lower inflation zone so you tried to justify it with some nonsense that apparently "Might help us" even though you knew the paragraph you quoted had nothing to do with Brexit.

Pathetic!

Brexit extremely bad for UK businesses. From someone who knows https://twitter.com/daniellambert29/...SdSq8G2GtwRk5g

With new levels of instability in NI, the standing and reputation of this country amongst our immediate neighbours and allies (and, it seems, many in positions of influence in the States) at a low point, and now our world-leading thinkers not being able to access world-leading research programmes, can any of the Brexit fan club please start pointing to the counter-balancing benefits yet?. Still too early?

This article is hilarious. Daily Express journalists trying to put a positive spin on bad news.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...pe-alternative

Record oil and gas exports to the EU.

I swear, the guardian staff must have keyboards with a specific 'despite brexit' key to save time.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...ukraine-brexit

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

I swear, the guardian staff must have keyboards with a specific 'despite brexit' key to save time.
    ....and, of course, without Brexit none of this would have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    ....and, of course, without Brexit none of this would have been possible.
    I'm not saying that. I've always been of the belief that leaving or remaining in the EU would have far less of an impact than many on either side suggested.

FYI - Exports to the EU are the highest since records began. Why isn't that reported?
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...22#main-points

I'm not saying that. I've always been of the belief that leaving or remaining in the EU would have far less of an impact than many on either side suggested.

FYI - Exports to the EU are the highest since records began. Why isn't that reported?
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...22#main-points
    Maybe because it is all a bit inconclusive. Does the growth in UK's trade with EU outstrip that of other similar economies? Is the growth higher than would have been the case if UK had remained in the EU?

I certainly don't know, but some people (no doubt with their own agendas) think the answer to both questions over the longer term is 'no'.

https://www.ft.com/content/2f63ef97-...d-4fb2e7ee9a5a

(Behind a firewall for me now, so may also be for others)

Anyway, trade impacts are only one aspect, which it seems can be argued either way depending on which data and timescales you look at. In a sense maybe I'm partly agreeing with with your second sentence. I think our international standing and reputation, the delicate political situation in NI, and our access to world leading research are also critical issues. Do you think we are in a better place now than without Brexit when you look at this bigger picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Maybe because it is all a bit inconclusive. Does the growth in UK's trade with EU outstrip that of other similar economies? Is the growth higher than would have been the case if UK had remained in the EU?

I certainly don't know, but some people (no doubt with their own agendas) think the answer to both questions over the longer term is 'no'.

https://www.ft.com/content/2f63ef97-...d-4fb2e7ee9a5a

(Behind a firewall for me now, so may also be for others)

Anyway, trade impacts are only one aspect, which it seems can be argued either way depending on which data and timescales you look at. In a sense maybe I'm partly agreeing with with your second sentence. I think our international standing and reputation, the delicate political situation in NI, and our access to world leading research are also critical issues. Do you think we are in a better place now than without Brexit when you look at this bigger picture?
    We don't know the answer to your questions. What we do know is that exports are at a record high (would be nice if the BBC reported it) and our unemployment is lower and our wages-inflation rate, whilst poor is vastly better than the EU's at the moment - all of it points to our problems not being caused by the big B and perhaps even being aided by it.

We would all agree that the pandemic has absolutely shattered any ability to properly analyse things. I think the country is more divided than it should be, though I do largely pin that on those that didn't accept the result and fought against it. In other terms, I think it's neutral, perhaps better as the vaccine rollout and wage growth is perhaps aided by it.

Which begs the question, why should fuel be so expensive in the UK? A commodity we are obviously still flush with. The government taking a bigger slice in taxation than anyone else I suspect. I filled up with diesel at Rosslare europort at 30p a litre cheaper than it is here last week, we export it to them yet they can still mark it up and retail cheaper than us!

No wonder the cost of living crisis is so much worse here, Brexit and being taxed to fug is killing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilkers View Post
    Which begs the question, why should fuel be so expensive in the UK? A commodity we are obviously still flush with. The government taking a bigger slice in taxation than anyone else I suspect. I filled up with diesel at Rosslare europort at 30p a litre cheaper than it is here last week, we export it to them yet they can still mark it up and retail cheaper than us!

No wonder the cost of living crisis is so much worse here, Brexit and being taxed to fug is killing us.
    Fuel isn't particularly more expensive in the UK than elsewhere though and neither is the cost of living. In fact, the disparity between wage rises and inflation is lower here than elsewhere.

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/f...in-europe.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I respect the Resolution Foundation, they aren't some batty politically biased thinktank like many are, who just churn out what their funders pay for.

That said, I think the headlines are a bit questionable. It is near impossible to untangle the pandemic and then Ukraine from anything. It is also still relatively new territory and even Brexits biggest backers would recognise gains would be long term. It's also another example of a prediction that is somewhat undermined by fact.

Unemployment IS lower in the UK than the EU
    Wages are rising faster in the UK than the EU (and far faster than before we left) - alas, inflation more than wipes it out, but as discussed elsewhere this is a problem inside and out of the EU
    Exports to the EU are at a record high

Now of course, we don't know what would have happened had we stayed, and it's a valid point on the depreciation of the pound (but note also that the euro is at a 20 year low against the dollar at the moment) but it's highly unlikely we would be vastly outperforming other EU nation - more reasonable to assume we would be doing as they currently are, which as stated is in many respects worse than us.

If Brexit was / is so bad why has exports performed well .

I do know a few lads who have now picked up work due to the less reliance on Eastern Europeans in the jobs market , in some cases wages have risen as a result of cheap labour no longer keeping wages down ie HGV drivers which is a favourite job the Eastern Europeans were keen on .

Our employment figures are very impressive , considering we have been through a pandemic ,Furlough was a brilliant move that needed applauding ..

I don't think leaving has been the disaster that many predicted ,most of our current woes are due to Pandemic ,World Supply Supply Breakdown , global inflation , Ukraine , Fuel , Wheat crisis ...

I have been impressed how quickly we have reacted to supporting Ukraine so much quicker and better than the EU along with the funding , rollout of the Vaccine which was first class .

I do think it shows we can do things on our own , albeit we still need to be a partner and a close ally of the EU ..

You'd think if Brexit was going to hurt us , our inflation woes would be so much worse than they are now , the pound would be weaker against the Euro , in fact its been very steady at 115 / 117 , as it has against other currencies and the stock markets is still delivering surely folk can see now its not all been that forecasted project doom ??

We could follow Germanys recent decision to fire up 150 coal plants and increase its exports and jobs , however the Germans Greens are kicking off , suppose they rather see folk freeze with less Russian Oil ?????

Germany already uses coal for power 27 times higher than UK because of the depth of their manufacturing base which drives the need for much more fuel than us , we moved away form heavy industry into service and tech , finance and sciences industries , who is the doing the right thing for the future , where will we be in 10 years time ????

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    suppose they rather see folk freeze with less Russian Oil ?????
    That's literally what you've been advocating for

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Fuente View Post
    That's literally what you've been advocating for
    Unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Unreal!
    Of course over populated region anyways , I'm just in alignment with the Greens and Greta ...........

fair play he;s still clinging to his principles after all this time !

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    fair play he;s still clinging to his principles after all this time !

Police have just seized our amplifiers x 2. And microphone. I still have megaphone. We are going to need more amplifiers and people. pic.twitter.com/6myZ3d6cMq
    — Steve Bray Activist Against Brexit +Corrupt Tories (@snb19692) June 28, 2022
    It's these new protest laws innit, but nothing is happening according to delmbox & cyril.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's these new protest laws innit, but nothing is happening according to delmbox & cyril.
    what on earth are you talking about? no one's saying nothing's happening you mad OM wannabe, we're just saying it's not all the work of one madman with plans to reshape the entire world

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    what on earth are you talking about? no one's saying nothing's happening you mad OM wannabe, we're just saying it's not all the work of one madman with plans to reshape the entire world
    Nice work delmbox, you've been promoted and I'm relegated.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Nice work delmbox, you've been promoted and I'm relegated.

Congrats!
    Why, what happened???

He probably just wants to use his megaphone to tell everyone that Welsh food and drink exports are at a record high
    https://gov.wales/welsh-food-and-dri...as%20announced.