+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Need to be careful what we wish for lads.
    Some real big clubs are in trouble.

Sheff Wed Down.
    Derby will no doubt be down after the points deduction.
    Now Forest have just sacked Chris Hughton who has always done well at championship level.

Middlesbrough may have even been relegated had Warnock not stepped in.
    Look at Sunderland too and the struggles they are having in getting back to the championship alone.

Even Ipswich when Mick got relegated the season after which shows the job he was doing to keep them afloat.
    Always?

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Subbing Colwill half time ultimately cost us the game
    MM’s poor decision bit him in the arse ��
    I'd go as far as to say he made a really bad call and could have waited for another 10. I just mentioned he knows how to handle players and then I forget about this. Poor management and the lads shouldn't have been made to look like scapegoats.

https://twitter.com/XGEEFAX/status/1...677018113?s=19

purely on the shots taken you'd think that we deserved a point.
    but I get the impression that if Coventry had needed to score again they could have opened us up with a lot more regularity

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Always?
    Prior to Forest he has managed something like 4 seasons in the Championship 2 promotions and 2 further play off finishes.

So I think “always” is fair to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    On the money.

I mentioned I feel Moore is off and it could be a number of reasons. I don't see 20 goals from him this season and I do see the difference in him mentally, I just can't put my finger on it but it's not right. A while ago I suggested we needed a new captain and I feel this was the season to do it. It would have made sense to me to offer it to Moore after his contribution last season and it would have had added a huge psychological fillip to his game and attitude towards Cardiff City. The boss (whoever it was) could have made a fresh start.

I don't think Mick is stupid or incompetent. I don't like the play but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to handle players. I can't imagine the captaincy hasn't crossed his mind. Most other contenders would need expensive and ridiculous contract extensions or are too young. The board, in my view, may have blocked this move because they want to sell him. Maybe he wants to go? Maybe he doesn't? But, and this is a big but, if the board is influencing this and Mick's hands are tied then it's worse than I thought.

Of course, I don't know any of this. But when things don't make sense to me then I go for Occam's Razor and this is where it leads for me (of course I'm paraphrasing).

The sad thing is, Moore could have a fab career with us. Why sad? Because I'm one or possibly the only one who thinks the EPL week in week out will be a bridge too far for him and he'll struggle.

All complete speculation of course.
    I've heard it said that missing a pre season puts back a player for weeks if not months -Moore, Morrison, Bacuna and Colwill had no sort of pre season this year and now Moore has had another isolation period, put that with the Wolves bid and there's plenty of reasons why it's to be expected that he's not hitting last seasons heights yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've heard it said that missing a pre season puts back a player for weeks if not months -Moore, Morrison, Bacuna and Colwill had no sort of pre season this year and now Moore has had another isolation period, put that with the Wolves bid and there's plenty of reasons why it's to be expected that he's not hitting last seasons heights yet.
    All valid and fair points and I’m noting and liking the optimistic ‘yet’! 😏
    Just on the subject of COVID, am I fair in saying that I can’t be the only one who didn’t factor in the players not getting jabbed? I’m also concerned about the effects of long COVID on performance. It could ruin a player’s career.

The biggest problem at the moment is the formation. If you play a back three you need your side centre backs to at least be able to play a bit. Every time the ball went out to the wing backs last night they had no options. Morrison is the best with the ball at his feet, which says it all. If we're going to persevere with the formation then we should play McGuinness, Morrison and Brown as the back three.

Playing with only two midfielders also limits their ability to break forward and make runs to pull defenders away. As a result all the play is always in front of the opposition, making it very predictable and easy to defend.

The formation also puts a lot of pressure on the youngsters in attack. The front three is always very isolated and has to do a lot of work to hold the ball up to get us up the pitch. That's where Colwill in particular really struggled last night. He's having to manage a lot more physical responsibility than most players at his age would have to.

Couldn't believe the substitutions last night either. Understandable why Colwill was hooked because he really struggled, but taking Harris off left us with absolutely no pace going forward. In fact, we really didn't have any pace on the field at all.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm so bored of the "style of football" and "longer term planning" conversations where I think the same points are being made - I am one of the worst offenders.

At this point the thing that is far more concerning and needs to be discussed is that:

1. Has there been a first half where we've played well this season? Didn't see Blackpool away but this is potentially the only game in seven.

2. Mick's comments about Colwill this morning (him being exhausted from emotion on weekend but would have been judged as mad not to start him) - what was that about? Is that a) Mick giving young players a hard lesson so they know they can't go into the red emotionally and perform next game which will benefit us/them longer term? Or is it b) really poor management and someone not thinking enough about how to win the next game?

Is Mick a reactive manager who does his best work at half-time? Can that fit into previous concerns about his game management and when he brings subs on - was that fair concern to begin with?
    I remember when he was appointed Ipswich fans mentioned Mick could be very stubborn and do a kind of "I told you so" routine to fans if players they wanted to see didn't play particularly well in a game. That's what that comment suggests to me.

Withdrawing those two struck me a poor management and a friend said Mick's basically "thrown them under the bus" and scapegoated them. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but they certainly weren't the problem in the first half

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    City have been in a dilemma for a few seasons. You start to tinker with a machine that had brought moderate Championship success over the past 3 seasons and you risk the wheels coming off. It's been made harder with the departure of Mendez-Laing, Hoillet, Murphy, Wilson, the absence of Tomlin. With a remaining established squad strong on, strength, commitment, fitness, but not very quick by Championship standards, and certainly lacking the speed and control on the ball to cause sides problems, it's not wonder we often look like Desperate Dans versus the Road Runner.
    Sadly, I think they hype surrounding our younger, newer players is a bit over-played. It's giving the impression the club is 'investing in youth', but honestly, they all look like a slower, less sharp, less skillful, to make a long term impact at this level.
    Less skilful than who, the rest of our squad?

Of course they aren't as sharp, they've barely played senior football, never mind at this level and are still getting used to it. Did you really expect a teenager to come in and look like a seasoned Championship campaigner straight away?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Less skilful than who, the rest of our squad?

Of course they aren't as sharp, they've barely played senior football, never mind at this level and are still getting used to it. Did you really expect a teenager to come in and look like a seasoned Championship campaigner straight away?
    Just saying the hype has been over-played. They may come good, but at the moment I'd say Bagan is the only one who looks easy at this level. Recently we've had 5 'raw' players on the pitch at the same time. That's desperation.

Just saying the hype has been over-played. They may come good, but at the moment I'd say Bagan is the only one who looks easy at this level. Recently we've had 5 'raw' players on the pitch at the same time. That's desperation.
    I agree to a point, I do think the likes of Evans & Bowen being in squads is out of necessity rather than some grand plan, but I do take issue with the "less skilful" point. From what I've seen of them Colwill, Bowen & Evans certainly aren't less skilful than the likes of Vaulks & Ralls, never mind the players at the back like Nelson & Flint. I can't see Vaulks scoring in the manner Colwill did at Forest

Bagan has been around the squad a fair bit longer than Colwill, Bowen etc. Bagan was involved back in Harris' first season in charge which is a help for him. I'm not sure I completely agree that he's the only one who looks easy at this level, Bagan's had a few poor games this season much like Colwill & Harris, Harris for instance looks far more like a Championship footballer than James Collins has this season. I'd also say those two definitely don't look out of place at this level and are often let down by the service to them, there's only so much they can do with the poor service provided to them.

I think the only player with substantial "hype" is Colwill, which has come mainly from being in the Wales squad. There's obviously talent in there, the goal at Forest showed that, so I think it's harsh to say he isn't going to make a long term impact so soon in his career

it's not desparation, it's something you have to go through if you want to bring players through regularly.
    it's not a novel experience for a lot of other clubs in this division, it just seems bizarre to us because it has been so long.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I'm so bored of the "style of football" and "longer term planning" conversations where I think the same points are being made - I am one of the worst offenders.

At this point the thing that is far more concerning and needs to be discussed is that:

1. Has there been a first half where we've played well this season? Didn't see Blackpool away but this is potentially the only game in seven.

2. Mick's comments about Colwill this morning (him being exhausted from emotion on weekend but would have been judged as mad not to start him) - what was that about? Is that a) Mick giving young players a hard lesson so they know they can't go into the red emotionally and perform next game which will benefit us/them longer term? Or is it b) really poor management and someone not thinking enough about how to win the next game?

Is Mick a reactive manager who does his best work at half-time? Can that fit into previous concerns about his game management and when he brings subs on - was that fair concern to begin with?
    I've thought about that comment again and it really has baffled me because looking at last night's squad who starts over him, Collins? He's a completely different player and position. Bowen? Completely different player and position. Evans is the one closest to him I'd guess but I'd be surprised if Mick was thinking of starting him

Quote Originally Posted by wberksblue View Post
    The biggest problem at the moment is the formation. If you play a back three you need your side centre backs to at least be able to play a bit. Every time the ball went out to the wing backs last night they had no options. Morrison is the best with the ball at his feet, which says it all. If we're going to persevere with the formation then we should play McGuinness, Morrison and Brown as the back three.

Playing with only two midfielders also limits their ability to break forward and make runs to pull defenders away. As a result all the play is always in front of the opposition, making it very predictable and easy to defend.

The formation also puts a lot of pressure on the youngsters in attack. The front three is always very isolated and has to do a lot of work to hold the ball up to get us up the pitch. That's where Colwill in particular really struggled last night. He's having to manage a lot more physical responsibility than most players at his age would have to.

Couldn't believe the substitutions last night either. Understandable why Colwill was hooked because he really struggled, but taking Harris off left us with absolutely no pace going forward. In fact, we really didn't have any pace on the field at all.
    Basically re-posting this because I think it's a good bit of analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by wberksblue View Post

We've changed from last season. Maybe that was down to Wilson drifting inside, but it was usually 5-2-1-2, or 5-2-2-1, with two people playing off Moore. Now, we're playing more of a 3-4-3, with Moore completely isolated and a massive hole in the midfield.

We're getting completely overrun at times, we have been awful for large parts of this season. We've got no pace, Giles is going to be out for a while and the squad is paper thin. Mick is also stubborn as a mule, I know a Mackem who said this, and Ipswich fans said the same.

Re Collins, while it isn't ideal he hasn't scored and keeps missing (obviously!), I'd much rather he is getting in the position than never looking like scoring. I just hope one goes in off his arse soon and he can get the monkey off his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's not desparation, it's something you have to go through if you want to bring players through regularly.
    it's not a novel experience for a lot of other clubs in this division, it just seems bizarre to us because it has been so long.
    You bring a young inexperienced player into a Championship side. He looks around and there's Nelson, Flint, Morrison, Pack, Bacuna, Collins, Vaulks, Ralls. He's probably - in the case of Colwill for example - the only who could be classed as someone who's comfortable on the ball. Then on comes Bowen, etc. That's pretty desperate, for a young inexperienced player to develop into something better.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If we appoint a young manager then if he doesn't hit the ground running our fans will get on his back

It's clear people , not me I hasten to add , have had enough of MM already and the poor sod has only just arrived

Yes it's route one and yes there are going to be nights when we are dreadful but unless some of you have a few million to give to the club to buy a few players we have to go with what we have

What alternative is there ?
    You mean there's absolutely no alternative to McCarthy's current tactics of whack it upfield at the earliest given opportunity? As someone mentioned recently, there are times when we play the ball into midfield from the back, for a midfielder to give it back to a centre back for them to hoof it upfield. That's happening more often under McCarthy than it did under Harris. Out midfielders look less comfortable with the ball than they did under Harris.

Are you really suggesting that's the only way possible and there are no alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You mean there's absolutely no alternative to McCarthy's current tactics of whack it upfield at the earliest given opportunity? As someone mentioned recently, there are times when we play the ball into midfield from the back, for a midfielder to give it back to a centre back for them to hoof it upfield. That's happening more often under McCarthy than it did under Harris. Out midfielders look less comfortable with the ball than they did under Harris.

Are you really suggesting that's the only way possible and there are no alternatives?
    Give me one

Not like that !

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Prior to Forest he has managed something like 4 seasons in the Championship 2 promotions and 2 further play off finishes.

So I think “always” is fair to say.
    I think "usually" would have been a better choice of word. Or "until last year". Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Give me one

Not like that !
    Clearly you don't think there are any alternatives. Crikey.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think "usually" would have been a better choice of word. Or "until last year". Whatever.
    As long as you understood my point.

We played really well at Blackpool, even their fans were glowing in their praise, and could have won 4 / 5 . Since then we have lost our 3 starting midfielders and (apart from Colwill) we have no replacements. Murphy to Preston was disappointing, but probably good for the club financially, and if we could have foreseen these injury problems we might not have let him go.