+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    City have been in a dilemma for a few seasons. You start to tinker with a machine that had brought moderate Championship success over the past 3 seasons and you risk the wheels coming off. It's been made harder with the departure of Mendez-Laing, Hoillet, Murphy, Wilson, the absence of Tomlin. With a remaining established squad strong on, strength, commitment, fitness, but not very quick by Championship standards, and certainly lacking the speed and control on the ball to cause sides problems, it's not wonder we often look like Desperate Dans versus the Road Runner.
    Sadly, I think they hype surrounding our younger, newer players is a bit over-played. It's giving the impression the club is 'investing in youth', but honestly, they all look like a slower, less sharp, less skillful, to make a long term impact at this level.
    Less skilful than who, the rest of our squad?

Of course they aren't as sharp, they've barely played senior football, never mind at this level and are still getting used to it. Did you really expect a teenager to come in and look like a seasoned Championship campaigner straight away?

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Less skilful than who, the rest of our squad?

Of course they aren't as sharp, they've barely played senior football, never mind at this level and are still getting used to it. Did you really expect a teenager to come in and look like a seasoned Championship campaigner straight away?
    Just saying the hype has been over-played. They may come good, but at the moment I'd say Bagan is the only one who looks easy at this level. Recently we've had 5 'raw' players on the pitch at the same time. That's desperation.

Just saying the hype has been over-played. They may come good, but at the moment I'd say Bagan is the only one who looks easy at this level. Recently we've had 5 'raw' players on the pitch at the same time. That's desperation.
    I agree to a point, I do think the likes of Evans & Bowen being in squads is out of necessity rather than some grand plan, but I do take issue with the "less skilful" point. From what I've seen of them Colwill, Bowen & Evans certainly aren't less skilful than the likes of Vaulks & Ralls, never mind the players at the back like Nelson & Flint. I can't see Vaulks scoring in the manner Colwill did at Forest

Bagan has been around the squad a fair bit longer than Colwill, Bowen etc. Bagan was involved back in Harris' first season in charge which is a help for him. I'm not sure I completely agree that he's the only one who looks easy at this level, Bagan's had a few poor games this season much like Colwill & Harris, Harris for instance looks far more like a Championship footballer than James Collins has this season. I'd also say those two definitely don't look out of place at this level and are often let down by the service to them, there's only so much they can do with the poor service provided to them.

I think the only player with substantial "hype" is Colwill, which has come mainly from being in the Wales squad. There's obviously talent in there, the goal at Forest showed that, so I think it's harsh to say he isn't going to make a long term impact so soon in his career

it's not desparation, it's something you have to go through if you want to bring players through regularly.
    it's not a novel experience for a lot of other clubs in this division, it just seems bizarre to us because it has been so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it's not desparation, it's something you have to go through if you want to bring players through regularly.
    it's not a novel experience for a lot of other clubs in this division, it just seems bizarre to us because it has been so long.
    You bring a young inexperienced player into a Championship side. He looks around and there's Nelson, Flint, Morrison, Pack, Bacuna, Collins, Vaulks, Ralls. He's probably - in the case of Colwill for example - the only who could be classed as someone who's comfortable on the ball. Then on comes Bowen, etc. That's pretty desperate, for a young inexperienced player to develop into something better.