+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Always?
    Prior to Forest he has managed something like 4 seasons in the Championship 2 promotions and 2 further play off finishes.

So I think “always” is fair to say.

Re: Embarrassment at Coventry a consequence of years of mismanagement at Cardiff City.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Prior to Forest he has managed something like 4 seasons in the Championship 2 promotions and 2 further play off finishes.

So I think “always” is fair to say.
    I think "usually" would have been a better choice of word. Or "until last year". Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think "usually" would have been a better choice of word. Or "until last year". Whatever.
    As long as you understood my point.

As a long time City supporter success over entertainment has always been an interesting dilemma.

Some of my fondest memories were watching us in the old 4th division playing an exiting brand of football. But likewise the year in the top division with Colin was great too from a success perspective.

If we can't have both I'd personally be okay with us having a financially secure club not paying huge wages, introducing and embedding more academy players, and playing an entertaining brand of football... in whatever division that might be.

We are 9th

A couple of wins and we are back in the mix

The only thing certain in life is death

If we were to go down we wouldn't bounce back

In fact we could be stuck in league one for several years

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We are 9th

A couple of wins and we are back in the mix

The only thing certain in life is death

If we were to go down we wouldn't bounce back

In fact we could be stuck in league one for several years
    Little old Cardiff again....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Little old Cardiff again....
    Sorry to correct you Eric, but the word "plucky" needs to be be in there somewhere.

If we appoint a young manager then if he doesn't hit the ground running our fans will get on his back

It's clear people , not me I hasten to add , have had enough of MM already and the poor sod has only just arrived

Yes it's route one and yes there are going to be nights when we are dreadful but unless some of you have a few million to give to the club to buy a few players we have to go with what we have

What alternative is there ?

If we appoint a young manager then if he doesn't hit the ground running our fans will get on his back

It's clear people , not me I hasten to add , have had enough of MM already and the poor sod has only just arrived

Yes it's route one and yes there are going to be nights when we are dreadful but unless some of you have a few million to give to the club to buy a few players we have to go with what we have

It's a fair point and I said I don't think the issue is MM. To a certain extent he can only play the card he's dealt. His teams don't always play Warnock ball - I remember at times his Ipswich side being quite pleasing on the eye. I suspect injuries and pressure meant that by the end of tenure he'd reverted to the "hard to beat" model to sure things up.

Subbing Colwill half time ultimately cost us the game
    MM’s poor decision bit him in the arse 😫

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    Subbing Colwill half time ultimately cost us the game
    MM’s poor decision bit him in the arse ��
    I'd go as far as to say he made a really bad call and could have waited for another 10. I just mentioned he knows how to handle players and then I forget about this. Poor management and the lads shouldn't have been made to look like scapegoats.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Incredibly though we could, and should, have won 1-0!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    On the money.

I mentioned I feel Moore is off and it could be a number of reasons. I don't see 20 goals from him this season and I do see the difference in him mentally, I just can't put my finger on it but it's not right. A while ago I suggested we needed a new captain and I feel this was the season to do it. It would have made sense to me to offer it to Moore after his contribution last season and it would have had added a huge psychological fillip to his game and attitude towards Cardiff City. The boss (whoever it was) could have made a fresh start.

I don't think Mick is stupid or incompetent. I don't like the play but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to handle players. I can't imagine the captaincy hasn't crossed his mind. Most other contenders would need expensive and ridiculous contract extensions or are too young. The board, in my view, may have blocked this move because they want to sell him. Maybe he wants to go? Maybe he doesn't? But, and this is a big but, if the board is influencing this and Mick's hands are tied then it's worse than I thought.

Of course, I don't know any of this. But when things don't make sense to me then I go for Occam's Razor and this is where it leads for me (of course I'm paraphrasing).

The sad thing is, Moore could have a fab career with us. Why sad? Because I'm one or possibly the only one who thinks the EPL week in week out will be a bridge too far for him and he'll struggle.

All complete speculation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    On the money.

I mentioned I feel Moore is off and it could be a number of reasons. I don't see 20 goals from him this season and I do see the difference in him mentally, I just can't put my finger on it but it's not right. A while ago I suggested we needed a new captain and I feel this was the season to do it. It would have made sense to me to offer it to Moore after his contribution last season and it would have had added a huge psychological fillip to his game and attitude towards Cardiff City. The boss (whoever it was) could have made a fresh start.

I don't think Mick is stupid or incompetent. I don't like the play but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to handle players. I can't imagine the captaincy hasn't crossed his mind. Most other contenders would need expensive and ridiculous contract extensions or are too young. The board, in my view, may have blocked this move because they want to sell him. Maybe he wants to go? Maybe he doesn't? But, and this is a big but, if the board is influencing this and Mick's hands are tied then it's worse than I thought.

Of course, I don't know any of this. But when things don't make sense to me then I go for Occam's Razor and this is where it leads for me (of course I'm paraphrasing).

The sad thing is, Moore could have a fab career with us. Why sad? Because I'm one or possibly the only one who thinks the EPL week in week out will be a bridge too far for him and he'll struggle.

All complete speculation of course.
    I've heard it said that missing a pre season puts back a player for weeks if not months -Moore, Morrison, Bacuna and Colwill had no sort of pre season this year and now Moore has had another isolation period, put that with the Wolves bid and there's plenty of reasons why it's to be expected that he's not hitting last seasons heights yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've heard it said that missing a pre season puts back a player for weeks if not months -Moore, Morrison, Bacuna and Colwill had no sort of pre season this year and now Moore has had another isolation period, put that with the Wolves bid and there's plenty of reasons why it's to be expected that he's not hitting last seasons heights yet.
    All valid and fair points and I’m noting and liking the optimistic ‘yet’! 😏
    Just on the subject of COVID, am I fair in saying that I can’t be the only one who didn’t factor in the players not getting jabbed? I’m also concerned about the effects of long COVID on performance. It could ruin a player’s career.

https://twitter.com/XGEEFAX/status/1...677018113?s=19

purely on the shots taken you'd think that we deserved a point.
    but I get the impression that if Coventry had needed to score again they could have opened us up with a lot more regularity

The biggest problem at the moment is the formation. If you play a back three you need your side centre backs to at least be able to play a bit. Every time the ball went out to the wing backs last night they had no options. Morrison is the best with the ball at his feet, which says it all. If we're going to persevere with the formation then we should play McGuinness, Morrison and Brown as the back three.

Playing with only two midfielders also limits their ability to break forward and make runs to pull defenders away. As a result all the play is always in front of the opposition, making it very predictable and easy to defend.

The formation also puts a lot of pressure on the youngsters in attack. The front three is always very isolated and has to do a lot of work to hold the ball up to get us up the pitch. That's where Colwill in particular really struggled last night. He's having to manage a lot more physical responsibility than most players at his age would have to.

Couldn't believe the substitutions last night either. Understandable why Colwill was hooked because he really struggled, but taking Harris off left us with absolutely no pace going forward. In fact, we really didn't have any pace on the field at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wberksblue View Post
    The biggest problem at the moment is the formation. If you play a back three you need your side centre backs to at least be able to play a bit. Every time the ball went out to the wing backs last night they had no options. Morrison is the best with the ball at his feet, which says it all. If we're going to persevere with the formation then we should play McGuinness, Morrison and Brown as the back three.

Playing with only two midfielders also limits their ability to break forward and make runs to pull defenders away. As a result all the play is always in front of the opposition, making it very predictable and easy to defend.

The formation also puts a lot of pressure on the youngsters in attack. The front three is always very isolated and has to do a lot of work to hold the ball up to get us up the pitch. That's where Colwill in particular really struggled last night. He's having to manage a lot more physical responsibility than most players at his age would have to.

Couldn't believe the substitutions last night either. Understandable why Colwill was hooked because he really struggled, but taking Harris off left us with absolutely no pace going forward. In fact, we really didn't have any pace on the field at all.
    Basically re-posting this because I think it's a good bit of analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by wberksblue View Post

We've changed from last season. Maybe that was down to Wilson drifting inside, but it was usually 5-2-1-2, or 5-2-2-1, with two people playing off Moore. Now, we're playing more of a 3-4-3, with Moore completely isolated and a massive hole in the midfield.

We're getting completely overrun at times, we have been awful for large parts of this season. We've got no pace, Giles is going to be out for a while and the squad is paper thin. Mick is also stubborn as a mule, I know a Mackem who said this, and Ipswich fans said the same.

Re Collins, while it isn't ideal he hasn't scored and keeps missing (obviously!), I'd much rather he is getting in the position than never looking like scoring. I just hope one goes in off his arse soon and he can get the monkey off his back.

You mean there's absolutely no alternative to McCarthy's current tactics of whack it upfield at the earliest given opportunity? As someone mentioned recently, there are times when we play the ball into midfield from the back, for a midfielder to give it back to a centre back for them to hoof it upfield. That's happening more often under McCarthy than it did under Harris. Out midfielders look less comfortable with the ball than they did under Harris.

Are you really suggesting that's the only way possible and there are no alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You mean there's absolutely no alternative to McCarthy's current tactics of whack it upfield at the earliest given opportunity? As someone mentioned recently, there are times when we play the ball into midfield from the back, for a midfielder to give it back to a centre back for them to hoof it upfield. That's happening more often under McCarthy than it did under Harris. Out midfielders look less comfortable with the ball than they did under Harris.

Are you really suggesting that's the only way possible and there are no alternatives?
    Give me one

Not like that !

Give me one

Not like that !
    Clearly you don't think there are any alternatives. Crikey.

We played really well at Blackpool, even their fans were glowing in their praise, and could have won 4 / 5 . Since then we have lost our 3 starting midfielders and (apart from Colwill) we have no replacements. Murphy to Preston was disappointing, but probably good for the club financially, and if we could have foreseen these injury problems we might not have let him go.