+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are The Players Embarrassed?

Are The Players Embarrassed?

I sometimes wonder if some of our players reflect on our style of play, and secretly think it's shit, an embarrassment at times. Last nights game mustered up passages of play that wouldn't look out of place at Welsh League level. Players not able to control the ball with their first touch, having to take another and slowing the whole process down. Clearances hooked anywhere, nobody wanting to get on the ball, look up etc, no movement or support with the player with the ball. ****ing Vaulks getting the wrong side and giving away the inevitable free kick, How thick a footballer is Vaulks?

We've probably all worked in an Environment where the bosses aren't up to it, or the implementation is way off. The work suffers, nobody really knows what they're doing, and the end product turns out crap. We moan and groan, but ultimately, we all need that pay cheque, so go along with it for the most part. I wonder if the players are the same. Do they think that their product is shit? I doubt that any of them were versed in playing the way we do-It goes against what football is supposed to be about, the world over. I think that i would be embarrassed if i churned out shit like that.

Re: Are The Players Embarrassed?

They're possibly frustrated, maybe doubtful that they can cut it at this level or they're just trying to focus on the next game and getting it right. Perhaps they'd like to play a more progressive game but it's been explained to them why they can't and so they just work at what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    They're possibly frustrated, maybe doubtful that they can cut it at this level or they're just trying to focus on the next game and getting it right. Perhaps they'd like to play a more progressive game but it's been explained to them why they can't and so they just work at what they can do.

No matter what their doubts are about the system or style of play , the players SHOULD be embarrassed when as highly paid professional footballers they can`t even trap a ball quickly and properly or pass it accurately on a regular basis.

The way I look at it is like this; when I see an aimless punt, a really poor touch, players way out of position etc, I think to myself, that's what I would do, because I'm shit at football. That's when you know it's bad.

They only care about their fabulous salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    When the players hear the manager suggest at an interview that “the boys did well to stop them scoring a second goal” they quickly realise they are playing for a shit club with a manager who is not fit for championship level

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    No matter what their doubts are about the system or style of play , the players SHOULD be embarrassed when as highly paid professional footballers they can`t even trap a ball quickly and properly or pass it accurately on a regular basis.
    That reminds me of watching England ‘stars’ completely capitulate v Iceland a few years ago, unable to pass 15 yards and trap balls, people like Rooney looking like a schoolboy. I guess it happens. How do these people become pro’s? I mean anyone can hoof a ball up the pitch in hope can’t they? So obviously they can play the game? Why don’t they then? It confuses the shiiit out if me, although that’s not difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Is this what this is all about? It's another "they earn a tonne so they should do everything we demand" medley? If they're not putting the effort in then yes they need to look at themselves but some of our players just aren't up to scratch (for where we believe we should be). No shame in not being good enough; questions need to be asked of those who thought they would be.

I think that at least some of them are unhappy with the way they are expected to play and it’s coming through in their performances.
    Josh Murphy is probably relieved to be out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Is this what this is all about? It's another "they earn a tonne so they should do everything we demand" medley? If they're not putting the effort in then yes they need to look at themselves but some of our players just aren't up to scratch (for where we believe we should be). No shame in not being good enough; questions need to be asked of those who thought they would be.
    Fair enough, but some of this is pretty basic stuff for someone who has probably been coached professionally from the age of 8. I don't believe for one second that the majority of pur players don't have the ability to look up, play a pass or give an option, nothing fancy about that, or taxing for a pro footballer. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that we play flat, our defenders and midfield don't break lines or follow passes, it's rigid, and that's why we look so poor in posession, because everyone is static. They're not encouraged to take risks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I think that at least some of them are unhappy with the way they are expected to play and it’s coming through in their performances.
    Bobby Reid almost downed tools in order to get away.

No doubt some of them are

I can't see how this style of play is going to help our young players develop either, it may help their physical qualities but watching the ball sail over their head for 90 minutes isn't going to help their technical ability

Look at Joe Ralls. He had a really good left foot when he came on to the scene, could pass the ball, find space and generally had a fair bit of potential about him, a few managers later now he just hooks the ball into the channel and runs around a bit

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I can't see how this style of play is going to help our young players develop either, it may help their physical qualities but watching the ball sail over their head for 90 minutes isn't going to help their technical ability

Look at Joe Ralls. He had a really good left foot when he came on to the scene, could pass the ball, find space and generally had a fair bit of potential about him, a few managers later now he just hooks the ball into the channel and runs around a bit
    I was speaking to TLG a few weeks back, i said in a sort of rhetorical way, 'What has happened to Joe Ralls?' His reply-'Russell Slade, Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy'

Most if not all of our players are at least good enough to play at this level. Whether or not they're good enough to play in a top 7 team is another matter. There are certainly some weak links. Vaulks had another stinker yesterday. He has some qualities, but all in all, he's a very limited player. The coaching, tactics and game management however, are just not up to it. You just can't play like that at Championship level anymore and expect to succeed. If we take the game by the scruff of the neck, we can sometimes bully other teams into submission. But if we can't, we're in trouble and play with our backs to the wall. Even when we're getting our way, we're rarely in control. The club needs a re-do on the playing style. I'll say it again, I find it very hard to believe that we have an entire squad of players that are not capable of playing better football. I'll admit we'll never have much pace with these guys. But they would at least be able to pass and play a bit. It's not like we plucked them all out of obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Has he gone? Where did he go?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Has he gone? Where did he go?
    Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Fair enough, but some of this is pretty basic stuff for someone who has probably been coached professionally from the age of 8. I don't believe for one second that the majority of pur players don't have the ability to look up, play a pass or give an option, nothing fancy about that, or taxing for a pro footballer. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that we play flat, our defenders and midfield don't break lines or follow passes, it's rigid, and that's why we look so poor in posession, because everyone is static. They're not encouraged to take risks.
    Cos they're not good enough to do so (at this level)? A misplaced pass (which often seems likely) and we're up against quicker opponents in our own half. I'm just as irritated; we're a very frustrating watch at times and at the moment we seem to be two halves of different cars welded together what with all the kids coming through. Might they have had a different education to their older team-mates?

The way I look at it is like this; when I see an aimless punt, a really poor touch, players way out of position etc, I think to myself, that's what I would do, because I'm shit at football. That's when you know it's bad.
    It's when you think to yourself "I wouldn't have done that because it was the wrong option and I'm shit at football"... that's when you know it's bad!

I was speaking to TLG a few weeks back, i said in a sort of rhetorical way, 'What has happened to Joe Ralls?' His reply-'Russell Slade, Neil Warnock and Mick McCarthy'
    It's not just the players that should be embarrassed, Micky no plan must either live in a bubble or walks around knowing he's got 2 years money so doesn't give a toss.
    He must think fans are idiots to believe some of the shite he comes out with, the latest crock of shite was about hooking Colwill off at half time on Wednesday, according to Mick the lad was mentally shattered??
    If that's the case as the Manager why hadn't he spotted it beforehand?
    Why start him and set the lad up for a fall if he wasn't in the right frame of mind to start?
    Or was it just a feeble excuse because Colwill was playing to instructions, which seemed to be get down the flank, knock it against a defender and win a throw in!
    Mick states he had to start him as that's what the fans wanted, if he ever thought about that, Bacuna, Vaulks and a few more would never start a game again.
    Weve got some really good youngsters coming through, and like anyone learning a trade they'll make mistakes along the way, most fans will forgive that and encourage them especially the likes of Colwill, Bagan Sang etc
    For McCarthy it's easy to use them as a scapegoat and show us all what a tactical genius he is by playing Collins, FFS my granny would have hit the target from there

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's when you think to yourself "I wouldn't have done that because it was the wrong option and I'm shit at football"... that's when you know it's bad!