+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what a ridiculous idea

Re: what a ridiculous idea

As a carpenter I was taught by the old boy teaching me to use Inches, then in college it was mm

I jump between them both even now, if I am working with anyone, it drives them mad

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    You still can not use cash in Starbucks

the manager ( also the franchisee ) of my local one said he has been told head office has made sounds about never going back to accepting cash
    Cardiff Airport as well, always like to take a bit of airport cash before flying, not now though.

As a carpenter I was taught by the old boy teaching me to use Inches, then in college it was mm

I jump between them both even now, if I am working with anyone, it drives them mad

One of the big problems is non trades folk using centimetres instead of millimetres. They’ll say things like 90 x 120 for the window they want, I’ll say ‘that’s tiny’ before telling them we use millimetres and it’s 900 x 1200. I was having this conversation down Express Steels yesterday, someone had ‘phoned them and ordered a beam 4m 50. The beam was sent out, the client complains that it’s 45 short. Nope says Andrew in the office, you ordered 4m 50 and that’s what you’ve got. He even said what we all say in the trade then, 4m 50 is 2 inches over 4m mate

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    One of the big problems is non trades folk using centimetres instead of millimetres. They’ll say things like 90 x 120 for the window they want, I’ll say ‘that’s tiny’ before telling them we use millimetres and it’s 900 x 1200. I was having this conversation down Express Steels yesterday, someone had ‘phoned them and ordered a beam 4m 50. The beam was sent out, the client complains that it’s 45 short. Nope says Andrew in the office, you ordered 4m 50 and that’s what you’ve got. He even said what we all say in the trade then, 4m 50 is 2 inches over 4m mate
    Spot on.

Same, i have to change which measuring system i'm using dependant on who i'm working with. I usually use 'A Gnats Cock' and a 'Smidgen' everyone in the buildings knows what that means

I generally refuse to spend money in places that don't take cash.

Why the hell would anyone want a financial system in which every single transaction is monitored by banks and a cut of everything you pay goes to a US global financial company such as Visa or Mastercard?

It's awful. It's totally regressive and it's like going back 500 years

As for kilos or lbs and ounces. Who cares. Let traders give them what the buyer wants. I use a mix of the two (as I do with cash and card!)

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I generally refuse to spend money in places that don't take cash.

Why the hell would anyone want a financial system in which every single transaction is monitored by banks and a cut of everything you pay goes to a US global financial company such as Visa or Mastercard?

It's awful. It's totally regressive and it's like going back 500 years

As for kilos or lbs and ounces. Who cares. Let traders give them what the buyer wants. I use a mix of the two (as I do with cash and card!)
    This is what I don't understand, why would businesses refuse cash? Would it be to do with Accounting? Easier to submit, work things out etc? I'm not sure that I would support a business that doesn't give the option. Same as these big shops that refuse £50 notes, surely they have a machine that shows its legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is what I don't understand, why would businesses refuse cash? Would it be to do with Accounting? Easier to submit, work things out etc? I'm not sure that I would support a business that doesn't give the option. Same as these big shops that refuse £50 notes, surely they have a machine that shows its legal?
    No cash probably makes counting up at the end of the day easier, sorting out a float in the morning isn't needed, no trips to the bank with takings. It probably saves a lot of work, and no one's going to come and rob the till.

Now I've done it, hard hat on for the incoming

Feedback

I'm all for reverting back to LSD

When I was doing my A levels in maths and computing (early 70s) We did binary, octal and hex number systems.
    My mum couldn't understand why we needed them.
    Hang on, I said...
    You can count pennies in a shilling, that's base 12
    Shillings in a pound - base 20
    Pints in a gallon - base 8
    Onces in a pound - base 16
    Pounds in a stone - base 14

She shut up then

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    There's some costs with cash, counting up, risk of theft (esp at a big place like a stadium with loads of outlets) but long term there's arguably more costs in putting all your eggs in the basket that relies on US financial institutions, good wifi etc, not to mention giving the parasites a cut between what is a two-way transaction.

Cards are handy of course, but a cashless society would be a nightmare and really be dangerous for some vulnerable people, lead to more arguments between families, raise debt etc, whilst enriching global financial insitutions.

Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    No cash probably makes counting up at the end of the day easier, sorting out a float in the morning isn't needed, no trips to the bank with takings. It probably saves a lot of work, and no one's going to come and rob the till.

Ah, didn't think of that. Bloody bosses cost cutting again!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    There's some costs with cash, counting up, risk of theft (esp at a big place like a stadium with loads of outlets) but long term there's arguably more costs in putting all your eggs in the basket that relies on US financial institutions, good wifi etc, not to mention giving the parasites a cut between what is a two-way transaction.

Cards are handy of course, but a cashless society would be a nightmare and really be dangerous for some vulnerable people, lead to more arguments between families, raise debt etc, whilst enriching global financial insitutions.

Screw that.
    I'd imagine the future is more about using mobile payment in a similar way that debit cards are used, rather than piling up debt on credit cards.

Society will never go cashless. How will we pay for our drugs?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Spot on.
    Banks charge ridiculous amounts for depositing cash in your business account.
    Having worked on a catering van recently to swipe someone's card than work out their change is much easier at busy times.
    If you have had a busy day your card money is already on its way to your bank , the cash has to be stashed safely and taken to the bank.
    You can only bank small amounts now at any given time , I think its down to 5k .
    When I sell a vehicle now and the guy offers cash I refuse it . Just transfer the money . No dodgy notes , no trips to the bank
    I cant spend the cash if we have a dodgy deal anyway.

Cash is dead long live the card.

Cardiff Airport yesterday, The Beer House now has no till, you have to download an app, fill in all sorts of information, choose your drinks, go to basket and submit. Then wait and wait and wait while the words ‘transaction being confirmed’ twirls around on your ‘phone, you watch this for about five minutes, then you call a waiter over. He asks if it’s ok to use your phone, he goes through the procedure again, passing the phone to you every now and then to enter personal information. He waits by your table until it’s approved, he then goes back behind the bar and gives you the thumbs up after checking their system and brings your drinks over. You drink them and go over to Costa, who take cash, and try and find a seat amongst the crowd who’ve walked out of The Beer House in frustration.

The waiter in the Beer House was marvellous and patient but hated the system, his day was filled with fiddling with customers’ phones rather than doing his proper job. Ridiculous way to run a business. Strange that Costa down there take cash now yet two weeks ago when I was there it was card only…………or have Costa cottoned on that any method of payment is better no payment at all.

As we all know, these systems when they work are wonderful.
    When they don't, look out!

I prefer the barter system personally.

A cashless society means a total lack of personal independence. We're sleep-walking into a dystopian nightmare and should resist this at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Cardiff Airport yesterday, The Beer House now has no till, you have to download an app, fill in all sorts of information, choose your drinks, go to basket and submit. Then wait and wait and wait while the words ‘transaction being confirmed’ twirls around on your ‘phone, you watch this for about five minutes, then you call a waiter over. He asks if it’s ok to use your phone, he goes through the procedure again, passing the phone to you every now and then to enter personal information. He waits by your table until it’s approved, he then goes back behind the bar and gives you the thumbs up after checking their system and brings your drinks over. You drink them and go over to Costa, who take cash, and try and find a seat amongst the crowd who’ve walked out of The Beer House in frustration.

The waiter in the Beer House was marvellous and patient but hated the system, his day was filled with fiddling with customers’ phones rather than doing his proper job. Ridiculous way to run a business. Strange that Costa down there take cash now yet two weeks ago when I was there it was card only…………or have Costa cottoned on that any method of payment is better no payment at all.
    Well done for championing the use of cash and I support you 100%. Keep highlighting it. It's very important.

I've stopped buying programmes and anything inside the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not entirely sure it ever went completely away, market stalls anyway.

We have never gone completely metric.
    The road signs are still shown as miles not kilometres.
    Expressing ones weight is usually stones and pounds.
    Joe blogs is "six foot two".

We might as well go the whole hog and go back to imperial
    It’s truly pathetic and confusing for kids. Very British

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Spot on.
    Banks charge ridiculous amounts for depositing cash in your business account.
    Having worked on a catering van recently to swipe someone's card than work out their change is much easier at busy times.
    If you have had a busy day your card money is already on its way to your bank , the cash has to be stashed safely and taken to the bank.
    You can only bank small amounts now at any given time , I think its down to 5k .
    When I sell a vehicle now and the guy offers cash I refuse it . Just transfer the money . No dodgy notes , no trips to the bank
    I cant spend the cash if we have a dodgy deal anyway.

Cash is dead long live the card.
    Fair play Jim you sound like a man who knows how to make a few quid

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Society will never go cashless. How will we pay for our drugs?
    Bank transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Bank transfer.
    Hmmm. Not sure it’s a good idea for a dealer to have his transactions financially recorded.

Hmmm. Not sure it’s a good idea for a dealer to have his transactions financially recorded.
    That's their problem.

Even worse... it’s not a good idea for the missus to see those transactions recorded.