+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So Clive Sinclair has passed away

So Clive Sinclair has passed away

I must admit, the ZX81 then the Spectrum were my first Computers and set me of down the geek road

I guess it was the start of " backing up games " aswell

Who can forget

Football manager
    Daley Thompsom Decathlon, batter those keys
    Outrun ( which at that time was vastly better on the mega drive )
    Italia 90 ( as outrun, the mega drive was just killing home computer games by then )

Re: So Clive Sinclair has passed away

Can’t remember which one, but we got one of his makes of computers in the attic

I thought he was Sir Clive Sinclair. Never heard of a So.

Got a Spectrum + (converted from the old rubber key machine) and a Spectrum + 128k plus over 100 games in my attic!

The C5 never quite caught on.....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    A C5?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Apparently, They're not going to use a Hearse to carry his Coffin, but 9 of those C5's taped together.

Don't lie, it's the technological epicentre of your house

Centre Parcs bought a load of them for guests to use around their parks.
    Don't know if they're still in use.

I wonder with modern batteries and motors what the range and speed of the c5 could be.

Still using the abacus then, old ftuit?

I installed a conveyor system at Hoover in Merthyr
    There were loads of them there
    I think they were assembled on the site

I reckon if he'd launched the C5 40 years later we'd all have one.

Proper visionary Sir Clive.

RIP

Electric cars 40 years ago
    Who’d have thought it 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I reckon if he'd launched the C5 40 years later we'd all have one.

Proper visionary Sir Clive.

RIP
    He was ahead of his time with the C5

I wonder what the world would think now, a small personal electric car, takes up little space to park, cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain, whack a Tesla badge on it, its a winner

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I wonder what the world would think now, a small personal electric car, takes up little space to park, cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to maintain, whack a Tesla badge on it, its a winner
    With modern brushless motors and battery technology, I'd love to see what you could do with the concept these days

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    With modern brushless motors and battery technology, I'd love to see what you could do with the concept these days

Get squashed by a juggernaut lorry most probably

Get squashed by a juggernaut lorry most probably
    Yeah, but you could have a lot of fun before your inevitable demise.
    could make it like a drifting trike/big wheel

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    He was ahead of his time with the C5
    Way ahead.
    Computers too.
    He was the one who suggested everybody having a computer.
    Just think if he hadn't been born, very few people world be working from home now.

I remember him being publicly ridiculed, for his C5.

He's gotta be up there with the great innovative pioneers.

I must admit, the ZX81 then the Spectrum were my first Computers and set me of down the geek road

I guess it was the start of " backing up games " aswell

Who can forget

Football manager
    Daley Thompsom Decathlon, batter those keys
    Outrun ( which at that time was vastly better on the mega drive )
    Italia 90 ( as outrun, the mega drive was just killing home computer games by then )
    OutRun is still up there as one of the most influential driving games of all time. I think it made 4th just behind Gran Turismo. I've seen elements of outrun recycled in games like Need For Speed and even the Forza Horizon series. It's non-linear gameplay was revolutionary. Can't believe it was released in 1986.

I'm an obsessive collector of racing/driving games across all platforms and still play outrun a few times a month using an emulator on a PC.

I was a C64 owner so never had the connection with the Sinclair but the Mega Drive was fab!

Clive was way ahead of his time and a true technical revolutionary. I always wondered what a Sinclair/Jobs collaboration would have produced in the 90s. He will have influenced many gamers to go on to learn more about computing/coding/game development much like the Raspberry Pi is today.

If you're interested in tech then check out the drama Halt And Catch Fire set in 1983.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 18-09-21 at 00:01. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    OutRun is still up there as one of the most influential driving games of all time. I think it made 4th just behind Gran Turismo. I've seen elements of outrun recycled in games like Need For Speed and even the Forza Horizon series. It's non-linear gameplay was revolutionary. Can't believe it was released in 1986.

I'm an obsessive collector of racing/driving games across all platforms and still play outrun a few times a month using an emulator on a PC.

I was a C64 owner so never had the connection with the Sinclair but the Mega Drive was fab!

Clive was way ahead of his time and a true technical revolutionary. I always wondered what a Sinclair/Jobs collaboration would have produced in the 90s. He will have influenced many gamers to go on to learn more about computing/coding/game development much like the Raspberry Pi is today.

If you're interested in tech then check out the drama Halt And Catch Fire set in 1983.
    I'll have a look at the drama

As a lad I used to be decent at Outrun in the arcade, used to have the top score for months in the arcade over the Island ( the arcade on the bend had the game forever , was it called carousel arcade ? ? ? )

I had a C Vic 20 ( mum and dad couldn't afford the C64 the next year ) aswell, moved onto a Electeron ( as we couldn't afford the BBC micro ) to play on Elite , must have been around the time consoles were leading the charge then, but had to convince the folks that a home computer was important for school I was fortunate enough to have both NES and Master system consoles, by the time and Megadrive and SNES came out I was working, so could save my own money to buy them ( though my SNES came from a dubious source )

I'll have a look at the drama

As a lad I used to be decent at Outrun in the arcade, used to have the top score for months in the arcade over the Island ( the arcade on the bend had the game forever , was it called carousel arcade ? ? ? )

I had a C Vic 20 ( mum and dad couldn't afford the C64 the next year ) aswell, moved onto a Electeron ( as we couldn't afford the BBC micro ) to play on Elite , must have been around the time consoles were leading the charge then, but had to convince the folks that a home computer was important for school I was fortunate enough to have both NES and Master system consoles, by the time and Megadrive and SNES came out I was working, so could save my own money to buy them ( though my SNES came from a dubious source )
    It's so weird when I see contemporary games with 'insert coin' written into the code and I wonder how many actually did ever play a game where you spent your pocket money on each attempt. You had to get good in the arcades to make it last!

I just discovered that OutRun is still being sold on the Nintendo Switch which is incredible. The Switch is becoming quite a console and is the only one I'm interested in these days outside of PC. Switch games hold their price really well too.