+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid vaccine and test passes to be introduced in Wales

Covid vaccine and test passes to be introduced in Wales

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58596128

People in Wales will need to show a pass proving they have been fully vaccinated or had a negative Covid test to attend clubs and large-scale events.

Re: Covid vaccine and test passes to be introduced in Wales

Terrible idea, and I've been double jabbed.
    Just because you have the vaccines doesn't mean you don't have covid.
    This is a breach of human rights

Sorry didn't see this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Is it really a breach of human rights to require proof that you are not carrying/or likely not to have the virus before walking into a crowd?

But you are much less likely to have covid if vaccinated.

Which Human Right is being breached?
    If I was going to an event I'd feel much more comfortable knowing that everyone else there has either been double jabbed or had a recent negative test.

Totally agree.

I also query how much this will work, if it pushes people into staying home in house parties etc.

I'm particularly pissed off about him continuing to discourage any working in the office, which is causing damage economically and mentally to many.

This is the most disappointed I've been with the Welsh Govt over all this, and I do recognise how difficult it all is.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    T

I'm particularly pissed off about him continuing to discourage any working in the office, which is causing damage economically and mentally to many.
    It's also economically and mentally helping many

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It may be, although I would personally say the long term implications of complete WFH are a mental health time bomb, esp given those people took jobs in offices in the past (and are thus OK with it in principle).

However, I digress and fundamentally I agree with you...

...In which case - let the businesses decide. Let them decide whats safe; at the very least say office workers need to show proof of being double vaccinated.

Seems absurd to discourage any safe office work, yet allow 'safe' nightclubs. Some people are going through absolute hell stuck at home in totally unsuitable environments

Quote Originally Posted by Welshcake. View Post
    But you are much less likely to have covid if vaccinated.
    This is what I don't get. If the vaccines don't stop people getting covid and transmitting covid but they are effective at stopping serious illness what is the need for vaccine passports? In other words those who are vaccinated are protected from serious illness so what difference does it make to them lf they come into contact with someone who is vaccinated or not vaccinated?

I don't think its a good idea but what part of the Human Rights Act do you think it breaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    This is what I don't get. If the vaccines don't stop people getting covid and transmitting covid but they are effective at stopping serious illness what is the need for vaccine passports? In other words those who are vaccinated are protected from serious illness so what difference does it make to them lf they come into contact with someone who is vaccinated or not vaccinated?
    This is the thing. We are trying to convince people who for one reason or other don't want the vaccine, by saying that Covid is spreading and even if you go to a place full of vaccinated people you are still in danger.

I 100% support the vaccine, I'm just not convinced this will get that many more to take it and I rather suspect it may fuel more suspicion about it all

Called this as soon as Boris u turned and Sturgeon pressed ahead.

It's a horrible idea and something that Boris actually got right.

It may be, although I would personally say the long term implications of complete WFH are a mental health time bomb, esp given those people took jobs in offices in the past (and are thus OK with it in principle).

...In which case - let the businesses decide. Let them decide whats safe; at the very least say office workers need to show proof of being double vaccinated.

Seems absurd to discourage any safe office work, yet allow 'safe' nightclubs. Some people are going through absolute hell stuck at home in totally unsuitable environments
    I think it's generally accepted that any fiscal/economic argument is of little interest to Drakeford et al - just hold out the begging bowl to the Government and plead poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I think it's generally accepted that any fiscal/economic argument is of little interest to Drakeford et al - just hold out the begging bowl to the Government and plead poverty.
    I don't disagree. The long term harm being caused is massive. At least in England people are getting back to offices in a safe manner which is generally (not always) better for productivity and wellbeing.

Just don't get why he effectively discourages working together over anything else. There is a route to going to a nightclub (a covid pass) but he doesn't at least say the same thing to allow work colleagues to meet together.

It's doubly weird, because he's only going to damage ideas such as comradeship, trade unionism etc when people are normalised being sat on their own, working on their own and thinking about their own needs.

Anyway, so be it.

NHS app wont help ??

Who can get an NHS COVID Pass in Wales
    You can get an NHS COVID Pass if:

you were vaccinated in Wales or England
    you are aged 16 or over
    If you were vaccinated outside the UK, you need to get proof of vaccination from the country where you were vaccinated.

However, we continue to work with the UK Government on a system and process to recognise vaccinations administered outside the UK.

How to access the NHS COVID Pass in Wales
    You can access the NHS COVID Pass via the NHS website (nhs.uk). This will allow you to produce a COVID pass using a smart phone, a computer or laptop.

To access the service, you’ll need to register for an NHS login. You will need to upload a photo of your ID (passport, full UK driving licence, full European driving licence).

If you live in Wales, you cannot get it via the NHS app as this is only valid in England.

If you do not have photographic ID you will need to request a paper NHS COVID certificate.

Your NHS COVID Pass includes a barcode. The expiry date refers to the barcode and will update automatically. It does not apply to your vaccination status.

Many offices are going to start a 59/59 approach to office cover. Those who want to go in more will surely make arrangements to do so. On these passports, I predict it will be so bad by Autumn that England will introduce too. They always act too slow.

This is the thing. We are trying to convince people who for one reason or other don't want the vaccine, by saying that Covid is spreading and even if you go to a place full of vaccinated people you are still in danger.

I 100% support the vaccine, I'm just not convinced this will get that many more to take it and I rather suspect it may fuel more suspicion about it all
    Drakeford said

The Welsh government rejected the idea of a vaccine-only passport for large-scale events as it would discriminate against those who cannot get a vaccine, Mr Drakeford said in a news conference.

The first minister said only allowing the double-jabbed into nightclubs or sports matches raised "a series of ethical, legal and technical questions".

Is there a difference in what's ethically being announced now

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Drakeford said

The Welsh government rejected the idea of a vaccine-only passport for large-scale events as it would discriminate against those who cannot get a vaccine, Mr Drakeford said in a news conference.

The first minister said only allowing the double-jabbed into nightclubs or sports matches raised "a series of ethical, legal and technical questions".

Is there a difference in what's ethically being announced now
    Hasn't he covered himself with that by allowing proof of a negative test in addition?

My mate across the road has been double jabbed but he’s off work with Covid
    He wasn’t feeling well on Monday and they did a lateral flow test in his works which was positive
    He then booked into the drive through at the City
    That was positive
    Says he’s got no taste and coughing all day and night
    Generally feels like shite
    Now his Mrs has got it and all the kids
    How many double jabbed people will be carrying Covid into the ground next month??
    Sort of makes a nonsense of the whole passport thing 🥺

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    My mate across the road has been double jabbed but he’s off work with Covid
    He wasn’t feeling well on Monday and they did a lateral flow test in his works which was positive
    He then booked into the drive through at the City
    That was positive
    Says he’s got no taste and coughing all day and night
    Generally feels like shite
    Now his Mrs has got it and all the kids
    How many double jabbed people will be carrying Covid into the ground next month??
    Sort of makes a nonsense of the whole passport thing ��
    It certainly does I suppose one could argue it mitigates some risks and forces the young to get jabbed , just wish they would say that up front and stop worrying about vote of the young , and when is a night club a night club ,does it have to have flashing lights ???

i just tried to get one online good luck with that

Wink Re: Covid vaccine and test passes to be introduced in Wales

It may be, althou gh I would personally say the long term implications of complete WFH are a mental health time bomb, esp given those people took jobs in offices in the past (and are thus OK with it in principle).

There's also the problem for people like me who are retired. I'm used to pottering around and doing a few household chores at my own pace but my wife is now working from home and I can't put my arse in a chair without her finding me something to do. She doesn't retire for another 12 years. Hopefully, I'll be dead long before that.

I don't disagree. The long term harm being caused is massive. At least in England people are getting back to offices in a safe manner which is generally (not always) better for productivity and wellbeing.

Just don't get why he effectively discourages working together over anything else. There is a route to going to a nightclub (a covid pass) but he doesn't at least say the same thing to allow work colleagues to meet together.

It's doubly weird, because he's only going to damage ideas such as comradeship, trade unionism etc when people are normalised being sat on their own, working on their own and thinking about their own needs.

Anyway, so be it.
    Like you care about Trade Unions! Although, I think that you may have a point about home working . It's obviously not going to suit everyone, some people need that cut off point that leaving work in a physical manner gives you. I would even go as far as to say that some people are probably working longer hours at home, due to the fact that a person can go back to work very easily. Obviously, there are those that home working suits, so some kind of balance needs to be struck, as I'm sure it will.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Absolutely. I know someone who has an office job. Since lockdown 18 months ago she's been working from home, she's been more productive in her work, she's saved a fortune in fuel instead of driving 50 miles every day. She's saved money by not buying crap food when she's out. During lunch she can go out and walk, not really possible where she works. Sometimes she does other hobbies that interest her. When she has to attend meetings that don't really concern her she can switch the video off on zoom and do something productive.

She's not the most sociable of office workers. She's an introvert and prefers her own company to being in a group of people. Some like the crack of going to an office, she hates it with a passion.

Despite there being no need to return to work her boss demands she goes in once a week. She doesn't want to. This has led to a strain in their working relationship and to the detriment of her own mental health, something her boss cares little about. Her boss has no real grounds for wanting staff to come to work, other than so she can see everyone.

As an added bonus, most were in work last Wednesday and one employee had Covid without knowing, and it has spread around the office. She's been lucky and not caught it.

So when people say it's better for everyone that everyone returns to work, they don't have a clue what they're talking about.