+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: DML, anybody, give me something

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: DML, anybody, give me something

I saw us lose 5-1 at home on Boxing Day to maidenstone town once….that was a low point

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I saw us lose 5-1 at home on Boxing Day to maidenstone town once….that was a low point
    It was just a blip on an otherwise decent season. We narrowly missed out on the playoffs (the real low point) but would go up as champions the following season.

new years day 5-0

It was New Year's Day, City lost 5-0 and the opposition was Maidstone United.

2/5, must try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

2/5, must try harder.

What year was it? Got to be 25/30 years ago so give me a break shirely? besides I can’t recall ever seeing us win on nyd, it’s not the best morning to get up and go to football is it?

What year was it? Got to be 25/30 years ago so give me a break shirely? besides I can’t recall ever seeing us win on nyd, it’s not the best morning to get up and go to football is it?
    It was New Year's day 1992. I was in the grandstand. Our new signing who looked more like a farmer than a footballer got sent off before half time. The thing that stands out in my memory is that families could bring their children for free and after the 4th or 5th goal there was a mass exodus of parents and kids from the enclosure. They just stepped over the wall and walked down the touch line towards the corner of the grandstand and the Canton stand.

January 1st, 1992.

I went to plenty of away games on New Year's Day down the years. Indeed, the year before the Maidstone game I went all the way up to Darlington to see City get stuffed 4-1.

The reverse of that Maidstone game would be January 1st, 2000, when City battered Exeter 6-1 at Ninian Park. That was Hammam's first season at the club, when Earnie scored shedloads of goals, but oddly he didn't score in that one.

2/5, must try harder.

I'm sure I saw us lose 5-1 at home to Preston on boxing day, one of the Jorn Schwinkendorf games

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    I'm sure I saw us lose 5-1 at home to Preston on boxing day, one of the Jorn Schwinkendorf games
    Close. That was January 3rd, 2000. It was 0-4, Kurt Nogan scored one of their goals.

I was wrong in the previous post - the 6-1 win over Exeter was 01/01/2001, not 01/01/2000.

Close. That was January 3rd, 2000. It was 0-4, Kurt Nogan scored one of their goals.

I was wrong in the previous post - the 6-1 win over Exeter was 01/01/2001, not 01/01/2000.
    I was at that Preston game too…no goals Nogan the nob of llanederyn managed to score even

I was at that Preston game too…no goals Nogan the nob of llanederyn managed to score even
    My aunty use to work with his mum in JR Freeman's cigar factory.

I was on the Grange End for that game in the time when it didn't have a roof and it absolutely p*ssed it down. One of the many occasions over the years I've questioned my sanity (yesterday included)

Is that win over Exeter the only ever win on nyd? Typically I was 1000’s of miles away in Sumatra that NYD

Is that win over Exeter the only ever win on nyd? Typically I was 1000’s of miles away in Sumatra that NYD
    I went back as far as 1990:

01/01/1994 - Cardiff 3 Reading 0
    01/01/2001 - Cardiff 6 Exeter 1
    01/01/2005 - Derby 0 Cardiff 1
    01/01/2008 - Cardiff 1 Plymouth 0
    01/01/2013 - Birmingham 0 Cardiff Redbirds 1

There were lots of years when City didn't play on New Year's Day. Some thumping defeats on that date too though.