+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ryan Wintle

Re: Ryan Wintle

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mick McCarthy tried to turn Bowen into a wing back, then an attacking midfielder, but, having watched him play for years at under 16, 18 and 23 levels, I thought we had a potential McPhail like, deep lying midfielder there. The thing is Steve Morison used Bowen in that deeper lying role last season and early this season and clearly isn’t convinced. I suppose the question is how many games would Steve McPhail have played for City if he’d been here for the past ten years, there’s been different priorities at the club during that time and it might be that King’s size is working in his favour - I’m convinced that’s what got Mick McCarthy interested in Colwill first of all.
    Be interesting to see who Paul Bodin selects for Wales U21s next squad. I’ve seen an interview from him when Bowen first broke into City team and he clearly rated him. We could see Bowen selected ahead of King for country and along ahead of Bowen for club.

Interesting reading this again now we've seen a bit more of some of the players https://www.viewfromtheninian.com/20...the-graduates/

He clearly rates Bowen

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Be interesting to see who Paul Bodin selects for Wales U21s next squad. I’ve seen an interview from him when Bowen first broke into City team and he clearly rated him. We could see Bowen selected ahead of King for country and along ahead of Bowen for club.
    Yes, Bowen has been regular in Wales age group sides from under 17 upwards and I daresay he was in younger age groups as well, I don’t think the same can be said of King although I believe he has now won under 21 caps. To be fair, I don’t think Bowen has been up to previous standards in recent Development team games, but that could be down to him knowing the lie of the land with Morison.

Yes, Bowen has been regular in Wales age group sides from under 17 upwards and I daresay he was in younger age groups as well, I don’t think the same can be said of King although I believe he has now won under 21 caps. To be fair, I don’t think Bowen has been up to previous standards in recent Development team games, but that could be down to him knowing the lie of the land with Morison.
    Surely he'd be a better option than Vaulks? I'm not sure I understand Morison's thinking on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You're probably right, I watched him a couple of times and he looked so composed. How he hasn't gone on to better things surprise's me, there must be some flaw to his game. Anyway, I see Colwill as that kind of player, although maybe more advanced. If his game matures and he becomes comfortable in his body, then we could have something on our hands. As it stands he doesn't know quite what his role is, and maybe he will never become a player that can do that extra work defensively.
    If Colwill's not going to be used at Cardiff and has been in and out of the 1st team, wouldn't it be better for him if he went to another club and played first-team football on regular basis, in a role that suits him? My fear is we'll mess him up at Cardiff with the current formation he doesn't seem to have a place in. I don't know how contractually feasible that would be, but, he's in no-mans-land at the moment and it seems strange considering he went to the Euros and played in the qualifiers here (and he played against Liverpool and scored a great goal).

Edit: and I didn't mean on loan.

He’s had an injury in recent years - if I remember rightly, he was coming back from one when he scored against us in October. He’s probably getting on a bit now as well, so he’s at a stage where attacking midfielders often start to play deeper.

Remember seeing him play for a Hull side that was stuffed by Everton as a teenager and thinking there’s a player - sure there were times we could have signed him quite cheaply if we had a more imaginative and three dimensional recruitment policy, but you could probably say that about a lot of good players around the twenty eight/thirty range - what age range is it that is generally thought to have let us down this season again?
    I think he played with an injury for a while but was the out for the season. He hasn't played much over the last two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    If Colwill's not going to be used at Cardiff and has been in and out of the 1st team, wouldn't it be better for him if he went to another club and played first-team football on regular basis, in a role that suits him? My fear is we'll mess him up at Cardiff with the current formation he doesn't seem to have a place in. I don't know how contractually feasible that would be, but, he's in no-mans-land at the moment and it seems strange considering he went to the Euros and played in the qualifiers here (and he played against Liverpool and scored a great goal).

Edit: and I didn't mean on loan.
    he's played 29 times for us and he's still a teenager, he's well ahead of schedule compared to some.

I'm sure he'll come back into the side sooner rather than later

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    he's played 29 times for us and he's still a teenager, he's well ahead of schedule compared to some.

I'm sure he'll come back into the side sooner rather than later
    I take your point, but Colwill's the one I worry about most in terms of his development at Cardiff. It seems a bit messy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I take your point, but Colwill's the one I worry about most in terms of his development at Cardiff. It seems a bit messy to me.
    In a way, Colwill's needs are less pressing than the likes of Davies, Bowen etc who are all a year or two older

I do think he's being messed about a bit though and someone mentioned on here he's been moved into the u23 dressing room? I don't know if that's true but it doesn't strike me as a good move

I agree to an extent that the height is what got him in the side, but having gotten into the first team this season he's certainly proven himself and deserves more opportunities in the first team. What have Pack or Vaulks done this season to merit inclusion compared to our top scorer?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    What have Pack or Vaulks done this season to merit inclusion compared to our top scorer?
    Play a different position

I think the last game the City side was so much younger than QPR difficult for anyone to stand out but yes I agree it wasn’t one of his better games.

Semenyo (sp) wasn’t great either. From recollection it was 2 days after Anfield so to be back with the under 23s playing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds must have been a bit of a comedown.

Hopefully better performances tomorrow.

I think the last game the City side was so much younger than QPR difficult for anyone to stand out but yes I agree it wasn’t one of his better games.

Semenyo (sp) wasn’t great either. From recollection it was 2 days after Anfield so to be back with the under 23s playing with a bunch of 17/18 year olds must have been a bit of a comedown.

Hopefully better performances tomorrow.
    Good point about the Liverpool game, especially for Semenyo.

Good point about the Liverpool game, especially for Semenyo.
    Is the Colchester game tomorrow? Says tomorrow on one site and 18th March on another?

Where is the defence and reason for letting him go out on loan , without giving him a chance , even more baffling when you consider midfielders are at a premium its one of our under performing areas .

Every club he has gone too rates him , he rocks up and Blackpool and instantly delivers , and even more impressive he comes back to us and just get on with it ,he delivers and raises his game , he must have been deflated at our decision ??

On that basis he is my club man of the season .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where is the defence and reason for letting him go out on loan , without giving him a chance , even more baffling when you consider midfielders are at a premium its one of our under performing areas .

Every club he has gone too rates him , he rocks up and Blackpool and instantly delivers , and even more impressive he comes back to us and just get on with it ,he delivers and raises his game , he must have been deflated at our decision ??

On that basis he is my club man of the season .
    Mick was under huge pressure from board to cut costs in the summer. Can only assume it was to get him off the wage bill even though he’d only just arrived!!

I imagine the club was hoping to shift Vaulks or Bacuna off the wage bill but nothing materialised so they took what they could and got Wintle off the wagebill.

We won't find out how good Wintle is until we have at least two centre halfs who can pass. Flints lofted diagonals to a well covered Bagan were crazy on Saturday and McGuiness doesn't look like a kid who has played in Arsenal's academy all of his youth, he will improve Flint won't.

For all the web sites available nowaday talking systems and stats the game is about putting the ball in the onion bag more than your opponents. Colwell has that knack, clubs pay big bucks for those talents. He is not ready for it now, but IMO he is a modern centre forward like those who play for Liverpool and spurs. He come deeps, but you have two wide forwards screaming diagonally to goal. He is not a midfielder in any form to me.

This closed season is probably one of the most important in 10 years. We can rebuild and reset. My fear is Morison is another from the Eufa coaching badges conveyor belt who all do it the same way. We have improved because we have better players now doing the same thing we have done since he was promoted to 1st team coach.

I liked the idea that he didn't have to start with a target man against Coventry, but with Flinty in there you do.

For me next seasons first team coach /manager needs to have form in the book for changing a culture. I would be looking towards the German second tier or Benelux countries for someone with a few seasons form in the book.

Mick was under huge pressure from board to cut costs in the summer. Can only assume it was to get him off the wage bill even though he’d only just arrived!!

I imagine the club was hoping to shift Vaulks or Bacuna off the wage bill but nothing materialised so they took what they could and got Wintle off the wagebill.
    Think your right , folk like to blame managers however sometimes there are internal pressures when may argue that placed us in trouble .

I dont rate Vaulks , Bacuna when it comes to value for money ,id let them go plus Mozza save a fortune , or invest in new young talent .

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    We won't find out how good Wintle is until we have at least two centre halfs who can pass. Flints lofted diagonals to a well covered Bagan were crazy on Saturday and McGuiness doesn't look like a kid who has played in Arsenal's academy all of his youth, he will improve Flint won't.

For all the web sites available nowaday talking systems and stats the game is about putting the ball in the onion bag more than your opponents. Colwell has that knack, clubs pay big bucks for those talents. He is not ready for it now, but IMO he is a modern centre forward like those who play for Liverpool and spurs. He come deeps, but you have two wide forwards screaming diagonally to goal. He is not a midfielder in any form to me.

This closed season is probably one of the most important in 10 years. We can rebuild and reset. My fear is Morison is another from the Eufa coaching badges conveyor belt who all do it the same way. We have improved because we have better players now doing the same thing we have done since he was promoted to 1st team coach.

I liked the idea that he didn't have to start with a target man against Coventry, but with Flinty in there you do.

For me next seasons first team coach /manager needs to have form in the book for changing a culture. I would be looking towards the German second tier or Benelux countries for someone with a few seasons form in the book.
    "
    For all the web sites available nowaday talking systems and stats the game is about putting the ball in the onion bag more than your opponents"

I'd imagine those stats help teams improve as well...

Is the Colchester game tomorrow? Says tomorrow on one site and 18th March on another?
    Looks like there’s two matches kicking off at one tomorrow. The under 23s are at Colchester and the under 18s are home to Millwall.

Looks like there’s two matches kicking off at one tomorrow. The under 23s are at Colchester and the under 18s are home to Millwall.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Think your right , folk like to blame managers however sometimes there are internal pressures when may argue that placed us in trouble .

I dont rate Vaulks , Bacuna when it comes to value for money ,id let them go plus Mozza save a fortune , or invest in new young talent .
    Mick wasn’t allowed to sign Williams or Watkins and I’d doubt either would break the bank considering they ended up at Swindon and Aberdeen.

I think with Moore going it and our precarious position in the league in January then Morrison was given more backing than what Mick had in the summer.

I thought the u18s was cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I thought the u18s was cancelled
    Colchester game off as well.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy/stat...82992396050445