+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Wintle

Re: Ryan Wintle

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Colwill seems our most natural replacement for Doyle

I think if we're going to persist with a 3 man midfield (we probably should) then Colwill definitely needs to be given some games there to see if he can do it. Realistically we'll be reliant on him to a certain extent next season
    Not to be pedantic, but it wouldn't be a 3 man midfield with Colwill at CAM behind the strikers.

Disclaimer I am not targeting you for an argument just pointing something out 👀

Colwill seems our most natural replacement for Doyle

I think if we're going to persist with a 3 man midfield (we probably should) then Colwill definitely needs to be given some games there to see if he can do it. Realistically we'll be reliant on him to a certain extent next season
    Sam Bowen is more similar to Doyle than Colwill imo. Technically sound, time on the ball. I’m not sure where Colwill fits in this current system tbh and I don’t think Morison does either.

We seem to have struck upon this big physcial man/ small fast man 2 up top combo which is working and Colwill doesn’t have the speed or the strength to play either of those positions.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sam Bowen is more similar to Doyle than Colwill imo. Technically sound, time on the ball. I’m not sure where Colwill fits in this current system tbh and I don’t think Morison does either.

We seem to have struck upon this big physcial man/ small fast man 2 up top combo which is working and Colwill doesn’t have the speed or the strength to play either of those positions.
    Another good point

earlier on he was playing a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-4-1-2, think we switched to 3-5-2 because the midfield was getting overrun, but we could go back to it if we feel that we have gotten solid enough through the personnel changes.
    I think he'd have been a good option to come on against Blackpool, as their double pivot was making it hard for us to play through them, so having someone in-between the lines would be good

I agree, I don’t see a starting place for him in this set up.

I don’t think he offers enough in a middle 3 as it stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    earlier on he was playing a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-4-1-2, think we switched to 3-5-2 because the midfield was getting overrun, but we could go back to it if we feel that we have gotten solid enough through the personnel changes.
    I think he'd have been a good option to come on against Blackpool, as their double pivot was making it hard for us to play through them, so having someone in-between the lines would be good
    I think coming off the bench is best he can hope for at the moment. Morison said on Friday he was back in squad so it’s a mystery to me he wasn’t on the bench when both Pack AND King were on there.
    Neither of those players are going to change the game, hence we only used 2 subs yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Not to be pedantic, but it wouldn't be a 3 man midfield with Colwill at CAM behind the strikers.

Disclaimer I am not targeting you for an argument just pointing something out 👀
    That's not what I'm suggesting, I mean having him play where Doyle does

I agree with all that but it looks like Bowen won't be anywhere near the side for awhile for whatever reason

Colwill's a good footballer whose shown he can be effective at this level, we need to find a place for him considering how few players we'll have next season. He may become an option further forward as he matures due to his size but I think he could play in the role Doyle does, I think he's certainly a better option there than Vaulks/Pack, I also don't see why King seems to have jumped ahead of everyone

I agree with all that but it looks like Bowen won't be anywhere near the side for awhile for whatever reason

Colwill's a good footballer whose shown he can be effective at this level, we need to find a place for him considering how few players we'll have next season. He may become an option further forward as he matures due to his size but I think he could play in the role Doyle does, I think he's certainly a better option there than Vaulks/Pack, I also don't see why King seems to have jumped ahead of everyone
    Been a big critic of Vaulks this season, but I think he’s done alright in the last two games. We miss Ralls when he doesn’t play, but his latest injury is concerning because he’s missed so many matches in the last couple of years.

I think we could accommodate Colwill in a midfield with Doyle and Wintle with the latter doing as well as he is currently, but Now we have wing backs capable of making an attacking impact, Morison seems to favour a more defensively minded midfield three.

The only reason I can think of for the bizarre decision not to make more use of Bowen I can come up with is that I can remember Mick McCarthy saying something along the lines that he needed to push himself more to realise he could be more than the sitting midfielder he was forthe under 23s, maybe Morison feels the same?

I struggle to see the logic though behind Morison’s thinking that Eli King offers the first team at this stage of his career than Bowen, or Keenan Patten, does - that’s not to knock King either who has done very well this season.

I did think that. I don't think he's a CM personally but maybe he's young enough to adapt, hes got size in his favour I suppose and he can pass so maybe not such a big switch..

Gives away the ball way to easily to do that role

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I struggle to see the logic though behind Morison’s thinking that Eli King offers the first team at this stage of his career than Bowen, or Keenan Patten, does - that’s not to knock King either who has done very well this season.
    Maybe it’s because he’s bigger and more physical?
    I hope not as that points to the midfield going back down the Neil Warnock physicality over footballing ability route.

Personally, I think there’s more to it but only Morison can answer the question on why Bowen has been cut adrift from the first team after impressing before his injury. RJK keeps saying it’s because he was injured but he’s been back in training for almost as long as he was out injured and was fit enough to be on the bench at Anfield a few weeks ago.

I don't think that Colwill can cover the ground that Doyle can. Colwill probably has that little bit more quality in the final third but he is nowhere near Doyle in terms of work rate and defensive duties. Doyle off the ball presses like a demon. Colwill is a big lad, covering ground isn't his game in my opinion. For colwill to prosper then he needs to be in that position where he is allowed to link up attack and follow his passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that Colwill can cover the ground that Doyle can. Colwill probably has that little bit more quality in the final third but he is nowhere near Doyle in terms of work rate and defensive duties. Doyle off the ball presses like a demon. Colwill is a big lad, covering ground isn't his game in my opinion. For colwill to prosper then he needs to be in that position where he is allowed to link up attack and follow his passes.
    Colwill is a good finisher. I think he could become a good number 10 once he fully adapts to the speed of championship football as he does get caught in possession and speed of thought quite often but I’m sure that’s something that can be worked on and will come with experience.

more or less what Morison said about him recently.

he's very effective with the ball in attacking transitions, but needs to do more without the ball.
    I don't think he's a central midfielder, bit that's not a problem, we can play with an attacking midfielder sometimes

Colwill is a good finisher. I think he could become a good number 10 once he fully adapts to the speed of championship football as he does get caught in possession and speed of thought quite often but I’m sure that’s something that can be worked on and will come with experience.
    Who was that player at Fulham who played in that 10 role, always seemed to look like he had acre's of time on the ball and was really good at setting up play, everything went through him. An Irish name?

Tom cairney I'm talking about. What happened to him? That's how I see Colwill.

yes a quality player, I thought he played a little deeper and would be spraying passes out to orchestrate the attacks,

yes a quality player, I thought he played a little deeper and would be spraying passes out to orchestrate the attacks,
    You're probably right, I watched him a couple of times and he looked so composed. How he hasn't gone on to better things surprise's me, there must be some flaw to his game. Anyway, I see Colwill as that kind of player, although maybe more advanced. If his game matures and he becomes comfortable in his body, then we could have something on our hands. As it stands he doesn't know quite what his role is, and maybe he will never become a player that can do that extra work defensively.

I may be in a minority of 1 but I thought v Coventry Eli King looked like potentially a very good player and was far from out of his depth.

Guilty of too many over simple passes and backward passes but playing in a game where the opposition dominated possession , full home debut i thought it was a promising display.

Look forward to seeing more of him.

You're probably right, I watched him a couple of times and he looked so composed. How he hasn't gone on to better things surprise's me, there must be some flaw to his game. Anyway, I see Colwill as that kind of player, although maybe more advanced. If his game matures and he becomes comfortable in his body, then we could have something on our hands. As it stands he doesn't know quite what his role is, and maybe he will never become a player that can do that extra work defensively.
    As RJK says he played a little deeper as he gets older. He’s had a few injuries I think but does seem to fall into that Whittingham category of too good for the Championship but not quite good enough to have an impact in the Prem. I think, like Whitts, technically sound, great passing range but he lacks that bit of speed and bite in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I may be in a minority of 1 but I thought v Coventry Eli King looked like potentially a very good player and was far from out of his depth.

Guilty of too many over simple passes and backward passes but playing in a game where the opposition dominated possession , full home debut i thought it was a promising display.

Look forward to seeing more of him.
    I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s out of his depth but he’s not a number 8 for me. He plays in the Wintle position for U23s. As you said it was all backwards and didnt really offer anything going forward when he had the ball. A lot was made of the Hugill fo Watters substitution but it was the Doyle for King substitution that changed that game. Doyle got us on the front foot. End of the day we were home to a Coventry we should be trying to impose our game on them not sit back and be so defensive as we were before Doyle replaced King.

Morrison talks about not putting square pegs in round holes but King at 8 / RHS of midfield was exactly that for me.

He’s had an injury in recent years - if I remember rightly, he was coming back from one when he scored against us in October. He’s probably getting on a bit now as well, so he’s at a stage where attacking midfielders often start to play deeper.

Remember seeing him play for a Hull side that was stuffed by Everton as a teenager and thinking there’s a player - sure there were times we could have signed him quite cheaply if we had a more imaginative and three dimensional recruitment policy, but you could probably say that about a lot of good players around the twenty eight/thirty range - what age range is it that is generally thought to have let us down this season again?

I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s out of his depth but he’s not a number 8 for me. He plays in the Wintle position for U23s. As you said it was all backwards and didnt really offer anything going forward when he had the ball. A lot was made of the Hugill fo Watters substitution but it was the Doyle for King substitution that changed that game. Doyle got us on the front foot. End of the day we were home to a Coventry we should be trying to impose our game on them not sit back and be so defensive as we were before Doyle replaced King.

Morrison talks about not putting square pegs in round holes but King at 8 / RHS of midfield was exactly that for me.
    interesting about king playing in the same position as Wintle for the u23s.

that's clearly a Key role for us, and with Pack leaving soon we need to either sign some cover in the summer, or promote from within.
    perhaps they're trying to give king plenty of game time now to see if we can avoid signing that player in the summer, allowing us to focus on other positions

interesting about king playing in the same position as Wintle for the u23s.

that's clearly a Key role for us, and with Pack leaving soon we need to either sign some cover in the summer, or promote from within.
    perhaps they're trying to give king plenty of game time now to see if we can avoid signing that player in the summer, allowing us to focus on other positions
    Mick McCarthy tried to turn Bowen into a wing back, then an attacking midfielder, but, having watched him play for years at under 16, 18 and 23 levels, I thought we had a potential McPhail like, deep lying midfielder there. The thing is Steve Morison used Bowen in that deeper lying role last season and early this season and clearly isn’t convinced. I suppose the question is how many games would Steve McPhail have played for City if he’d been here for the past ten years, there’s been different priorities at the club during that time and it might be that King’s size is working in his favour - I’m convinced that’s what got Mick McCarthy interested in Colwill first of all.