+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: “Match day experience” at Cardiff City Stadium leaving a bit to be desired at the moment.

“Match day experience” at Cardiff City Stadium leaving a bit to be desired at the moment.

I should have stayed at home and watched the mascots race!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: “Match day experience” at Cardiff City Stadium leaving a bit to be desired at the moment.

Could do with a re-brand, (Honestly loved the drama surrounding the first one), to liven things up a bit IMO, haven't been this bored with it for a while. If not a stylistic re-brand then let's do something bold, sign a woman.. or get Niki Minaj in as manager with an Amazon TV Doc crew in tow.

Re: “Match day experience” at Cardiff City Stadium leaving a bit to be desired at the moment.

Dare I mention the club shop as being part of the match day experience

Goal Keeper:

I think comments on here about Phillips hoofing it up the pitch are unfair - he clearly looks to play long passes when he can.

Defence:

Flint and Morrison are extremely experienced Championship defenders but we've only kept one clean sheet so far which isn't good enough. Yesterday both were poor even if Flint did show "passion".

Nelson beat the full-back two or three times and put in a few good crosses, I know he's not perfect but credit to him for playing LCB and full-back this season when his natural position is RCB.

Sang is an attacking player who was asked to play the most defensive of roles yesterday but I'm yet to see why he's so rated on here.

It was Brown's first game back after a little while out but not a performance that suggests we should extend. Took him a few games to get up to speed last year but on very thin ice now.

Midfield:

Pack played well in the first four league games of the season but hasn't for the last four - does he need a rest? Shouldn't we be asking more of him? Supposedly our best ball-playing midfielder but he doesn't change the tempo with his passing, doesn't switch play and is frequently pushing forward (slowly) in a press that leaves us exposed behind.

Vaulks needs the right players around him to be anything other than limited but he was one (the one?) verbally calling for players to give sh*t after we conceded which provoked our best 15 minutes of the game. He can effectively change the pace of the game in the middle even if it can also go badly wrong.

Attacking three:

Really hard day for them chasing after lost causes. Summed up by Kieffer being desperate for ball-boy/girl or fans to get the ball back him for quick throw but a very young child enjoying touching the ball and not able to respond effectively to the request.

Subs:

I know some see Bagan as a future LCB so will be interesting to read their thoughts on his performance yesterday spending time more centrally.

Overall:

Extremely frustrating to see a side ready for Premier League football show us why we're not. We're desperate to find the balance between physicality and skill Bournemouth had today without being able to spend as highly or as frequently as they have...going to be difficult to manage (and patience required) but starting to think bold actions needed this summer.

I think fans of 8 Championship sides would have swapped their result for ours yesterday but might have changed their mind after seeing the "highlights".

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Goal Keeper:

I think comments on here about Phillips hoofing it up the pitch are unfair - he clearly looks to play long passes when he can.

Defence:

Flint and Morrison are extremely experienced Championship defenders but we've only kept one clean sheet so far which isn't good enough. Yesterday both were poor even if Flint did show "passion".

Nelson beat the full-back two or three times and put in a few good crosses, I know he's not perfect but credit to him for playing LCB and full-back this season when his natural position is RCB.

Sang is an attacking player who was asked to play the most defensive of roles yesterday but I'm yet to see why he's so rated on here.

It was Brown's first game back after a little while out but not a performance that suggests we should extend. Took him a few games to get up to speed last year but on very thin ice now.

Midfield:

Pack played well in the first four league games of the season but hasn't for the last four - does he need a rest? Shouldn't we be asking more of him? Supposedly our best ball-playing midfielder but he doesn't change the tempo with his passing, doesn't switch play and is frequently pushing forward (slowly) in a press that leaves us exposed behind.

Vaulks needs the right players around him to be anything other than limited but he was one (the one?) verbally calling for players to give sh*t after we conceded which provoked our best 15 minutes of the game. He can effectively change the pace of the game in the middle even if it can also go badly wrong.

Attacking three:

Really hard day for them chasing after lost causes. Summed up by Kieffer being desperate for ball-boy/girl or fans to get the ball back him for quick throw but a very young child enjoying touching the ball and not able to respond effectively to the request.

Subs:

I know some see Bagan as a future LCB so will be interesting to read their thoughts on his performance yesterday spending time more centrally.

Overall:

Extremely frustrating to see a side ready for Premier League football show us why we're not. We're desperate to find the balance between physicality and skill Bournemouth had today without being able to spend as highly or as frequently as they have...going to be difficult to manage (and patience required) but starting to think bold actions needed this summer.

I think fans of 8 Championship sides would have swapped their result for ours yesterday but might have changed their mind after seeing the "highlights".
    Bournemouth aren't ready for PL football. Hence being relegated and playing in our division. They may be ready to be promoted... But they aren't PL ready.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I should have stayed at home and watched the mascots race!

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    First time I have attended a game since 2019 yesterday.

A few other things occurred about the matchday experience apart from the gawd-awful "football" from us.

1. Does CCs no longer sell bitter? Only fizzy lager was on sale.
    2. Has everyone given up on C-19 mitigation? Literally nobody was masked up or keeping a reasonable distance in the stadium.
    3. Why is all the music they play in the stadium aimed at 20 year olds? I'd take a guess at 50% of the crowd being >45 years old. Why not have a mixture?
    4. The ticketing is a farce. A lot of people don't use smart phones and don't know how contactless cards work. Why doesn't the club put out a couple of videos to explain. It would ease congestion on entering the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

A few other things occurred about the matchday experience apart from the gawd-awful "football" from us.

2. Has everyone given up on C-19 mitigation? Literally nobody was masked up or keeping a reasonable distance in the stadium.
    3. Why is all the music they play in the stadium aimed at 20 year olds? I'd take a guess at 50% of the crowd being >45 years old. Why not have a mixture?
    4. The ticketing is a farce. A lot of people don't use smart phones and don't know how contactless cards work. Why doesn't the club put out a couple of videos to explain. It would ease congestion on entering the stadium.
    My nephew who has a season ticket was only able to go because a friend of mine wasn't going so we used his card.
    My nephew still hasn't had his card and they couldn't download his ticket. So poor.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post

Well, I hope you’re enjoying your time back in the old country overall anyway - football wise, Saturday was worse than it normally is I’d say, but the concerning thing is that it wasn’t worse by much and such boring afternoons are getting more frequent - even the one home match we’ve won (Millwall) was truly woeful for three quarters of the game.

Regarding your other points, if I was still drinking and wanted a pre match pint, it would have to be in a Brains pub where I could have some proper beer, not lager. I don’t buy food and drink in the ground because of a combination of rip off prices and having experienced Compass catering when I was a civil servant, I’ve no desire to do so again. Although lager is trying to take over the world, I believe there are still enough beer drinkers around to justify them selling some of the stuff - one other whinge about food and drink, there’s no such thing as cash at Cardiff City these days.

I dare say the decision to ban cash is partly Covid related and yet when I put my mask on when I enter the concourse, as I believe the ground regulations say I should, I feel a bit of an idiot because there’s only me and no more than ten others doing so.

Keith from the Trust had a meeting with the club about ten days ago and there were some members who said they were unable to hear the tannoy where they are sat. I appreciate that this means they may miss out on some important announcements, but as far as the DJ and the music goes, I’d say they’re better off not being able to hear it. As for the ticketing, I was told at the ground that my season ticket had been posted to me on Tuesday and the girl who was serving me agreed with my comment that it’s beginning to look like it’s gone missing then, so I’m thinking it might be the same again for the West Brom game next week - I know a round trip of forty miles is nothing compared to some (like you!), but I won’t get home until something like 11.30 that night and, given the “product” quality lately, the sensible thing to do would be to give it a miss.

That point regarding the seniors v youngsters match is truly baffling. Surely if the seniors' victory justifies their selection, then the past few weeks should have seen the youngsters playing? He does come out with some bizarre stuff, the comment regarding Colwill's performance against Coventry was nuts in my opinion and reflected poorly on McCarthy in a number of ways.

What must be apparent to McCarthy is that the system just isn't working anymore, the 2 in midfield are getting overrun and Harris/Bacuna seemingly have no idea what their role is supposed to be. Unfortunately the squad has been constructed in such a way that we can't really change it up. Best I can come up with is a diamond midfield and 2 up top which should make the positions more obvious. Of course playing full backs & a back 4 means Giles doesn't really fit (even though he's supposed to be a left back/wing back) and dropping one of Morrison or Flint, personally I don't think Morrison is fully fit at the moment so would maybe leave him out for the time being

Philips

Ng Flint Nelson Bagan (Giles?)

Pack

Bacuna Ralls

Colwill

Harris Moore