+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Jimmy Greaves

RIP Jimmy Greaves

The legendary goal scorer has passed away aged 81

Re: RIP Jimmy Greaves

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    The legendary goal scorer has passed away aged 81
    When you think back, he really should have been in the 1966 World Cup winning team - I wasn’t a great fan of his TV persona, but what a player, he shades out Ian Rush as the best British finisher I’ve seen.

RIP

An absolutely phenomenal goal-scoring record. RIP Greavsie.

I've only ever seen clips of him playing, but what a world class finisher. So composed. One of those players who seemed to have the ability to slow everything down when he decided to pull the trigger.

As a boy I was a Spurs fan (until I saw the light and started going to Ninian Park!) and he was the finest finisher I ever saw. Watching him was like looking at art. I saw him play live only once, and that was at NP in a testimonial game for John Charles XI v Leeds. Of course he scored. Of all the football and 'celebrity' deaths I have heard about over the years this is the most upsetting for me. RIP the the best of all

First Team

Only saw him at the end of his career but he is generally regarded as one of the greats by those that played with/against him.

I always got the impression that he was bitter about Ramsey dropping him in 66 and what his replacement did in the final.

Like TOBW said I was not a fan of the TV persona but his footballing record speaks for itself.

RIP.

Sold to AC Milan for £99,999 because Chelsea manager didn’t want him to become first £100,000 player in case it went to his head!

RIP Old Skool footy legend

Scored on his debut for so many teams - Chelsea, Spurs, Milan, West Ham, England, England U-23.... probably others as well.

The Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Only saw him at the end of his career but he is generally regarded as one of the greats by those that played with/against him.

I always got the impression that he was bitter about Ramsey dropping him in 66 and what his replacement did in the final.

Like TOBW said I was not a fan of the TV persona but his footballing record speaks for itself.

RIP.
    You think? Can't really blame him, can you? I'd be disappointed if he wasn't bitter about that.

The word legend is sometimes used too much. In this case it’s absolutely true. Players like Jimmy only come along once in a lifetime. I’m just glad it was during my lifetime.

Appropriate that Tottenham play Chelsea today

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post

RIP.
    I wasnt even born in 66 but didnt he get injured and Hurst replaced him and Ramsey decided to stick with Hurst for the final.

History may have been so different if subs were allowed in 66.

Goal scoring legend RIP

Many people look back at old television programmes through nostalgic eyes. Saint and Greaves football show though was not very good if I'm being kind. When Cardiff played QPR in the FA Cup in the 80s (QPR being 1st Division and no doubt we were basement) they gave us a 5 minute segment of the most condescending rubbish I have ever witnessed. They just mocked us - I still have it on VHS somewhere. It was 0-0.

Sky came along and like it or loathe it it seriously improved football broadcasting from the amateur rubbish that ITV were knocking out.

Anyway as a footballer few will surpass his records RIP

Unique character. Great footballer. RIP Greavsie

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I wasnt even born in 66 but didnt he get injured and Hurst replaced him and Ramsey decided to stick with Hurst for the final.

History may have been so different if subs were allowed in 66.
    Yes.

Funny how people remember things differently.

I was too young to recall his genius on the football field but my memory of the Saint and Greavsie show was very much like normal life in the team dressing room, one of good banter and leg pulling.

Sky, in particular Soccer AM, benefitted hugely from their unique presentation of the beautiful game.

If Greavsie was ever bitter about Ramsey's decision to play Hirst in front of him, it never came across that way.
    He seemed a pretty modest man considering how long he was on our screens.

RIP Jimmy Greaves, a true legend of the game.

Before my time as a player, but I must admit I used to love the Saint and Greavsie. Was a must watch for me.
    Saw a BT film about Greaves about a year ago, quite a lot of footage I’ve never seen of Greaves before and he was absolutely brilliant. He had everything. RIP to a true footballing great.

His goalscoring records are amazing - and many of you won't be aware of what pitches and footballs were like when he was scoring.

Even back then he made everything look so easy.

RIP to the great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    His goalscoring records are amazing - and many of you won't be aware of what pitches and footballs were like when he was scoring.

Even back then he made everything look so easy.

RIP to the great man.
    Probably the same as when Pele, Di Stefano etc were all scoring.

RIP

Interview in 1981 where be shares how he felt about the 1966 final…

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/statu...548410371?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Probably the same as when Pele, Di Stefano etc were all scoring.

RIP
    Pele and Di Stefano played on much better pitches tha the mud baths that British football pitches were in the 60's.

But they were great players as well and would also have done well on todays' superior pitches

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Pele and Di Stefano played on much better pitches tha the mud baths that British football pitches were in the 60's.

But they were great players as well and would also have done well on todays' superior pitches
    I've no idea of the quality of the pitches in Brazil all them years ago but I can't say they'd be too great.