Earnie

Classic fox in the box

In my lifetime no one comes close

Re: Great Cardiff City Finishers In A Greavsie Style

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Earnie

Classic fox in the box

Jimmy Flloyd was a quality finisher and obviously Fowler would have been (even at the age he was) if he wasn't the old version of Vassell when he came to us.

Jeff Hemmerman-Thread over.

A player who doesn't get much of a mention from the early eighties is Gordon Owen. A winger with good feet and an eye for a goal if my memory is correct. Sure he was Top Scorer for us in the old 2nd division, the year after we were promoted under Ashurst. I was pretty young at the time, maybe my judgement is clouded. Does anyone else remember him?

Carl Dale, Chopra,

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    A player who doesn't get much of a mention from the early eighties is Gordon Owen. A winger with good feet and an eye for a goal if my memory is correct. Sure he was Top Scorer for us in the old 2nd division, the year after we were promoted under Ashurst. I was pretty young at the time, maybe my judgement is clouded. Does anyone else remember him?
    Good shout

Yes think he played in the 2nd season after I started going. Replaced Dave Bennett on a free I believe and even though not as good was a very good player for us. Sold for a ludicrously low fee if I remember.

After that season our complete freefall started.

Jeff Hemmerman-Thread over.
    Gets the ball, scores a goal, Jeffrey Hemmerman........

Carl Dale

Yep , came from Sheffield Wednesday I think ?

Nice Kevin Keegan perm

Scored for us v the jacks at the vetch down our end , they eventually overcome two goals to win with a Dean Saunders strike

He was a good player in a sea of sewage

Chris Pike knew where the net was

He also knew where the pub was

Eddie Johnson.
    What a player..

Tony Evans

Yes, good player, who made the departure of Dave Bennett not as bad as it could have been, but I think we probably saw the best of him judging by the rest of his career.

First spell with us Michaerl Chopra, Earnie, Carl Dale and Tony Evans, who, although nowhere near the player Greaves was, was the most Greaves like of the four for me.

First Team

I’m also going to say Tony Evans.

Almost certainly looking at it through rose tinted glasses for the past but as a youth I thought he was dynamite.

Not sure if the stats will back me up but I am sticking to my guns.

Earnie

Classic fox in the box

Odd player Earnie was.
    Great finisher but some times he looked like he'd never played the game.
    The aspects of his game that were good though were so good it didn't matter most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Odd player Earnie was.
    Great finisher but some times he looked like he'd never played the game.
    The aspects of his game that were good though were so good it didn't matter most of the time.
    He wasn't a particularly skillful player but he had that quick turn of pace that fooled defenders and he was always there for the knock downs

My old man thought he was an instinctive goal scorer like greavsie

He wasn't a particularly skillful player but he had that quick turn of pace that fooled defenders and he was always there for the knock downs

My old man thought he was an instinctive goal scorer like greavsie
    greavesie was a long time before my time, but clips I've seen of him he seemed a lot more rounded player than earnie ever was.
    sometimes earnshaws first touch was so bad he looked like some random guy who'd won a competition to play for the first team. other times defenders just couldn't live with him.
    absolute one of a kind

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    greavesie was a long time before my time, but clips I've seen of him he seemed a lot more rounded player than earnie ever was.
    sometimes earnshaws first touch was so bad he looked like some random guy who'd won a competition to play for the first team. other times defenders just couldn't live with him.
    absolute one of a kind
    Of course but earnie was a clinical finisher

Peter Thorne was the perfect foil

Peter Kitchen knew where the goal was. Did nothing outside the box.

None. As much as we love our decent strikers none could even come close to Greaves. All his League goals came in the top flight too.

Clearly those who have posted their suggestions are too young to have seen John Toshack play. He was not only a goalscorer in the second stream but in the first tier as well. While he was not a "Greavsie" type of player he scored for us at will alongside Brian Clark. Perhaps a more "Greavsie" type of player was Tony Evans who came along a few years later but he was not in the same class (or league?)as John Toshack.

The first to come to mind as a similar player was Carl Dale.

An interesting chart...

Goalscrorers.jpg

Personally I l always liked Joe Bonson...even if he doesn't figure here...I can always remember a diving header v Leyton Orient away where we won 4-3 away in our promotion season 1959-60!!! Also same season Johnny Watkins volleying in from a Brian Walsh Cross!! Not prolific bit Peter Hooper was also a memory in the making....