+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Cardiff City Finishers In A Greavsie Style

Re: Great Cardiff City Finishers In A Greavsie Style

I think it confirms Earnie as the best....although Toshack is pretty close...(I remember him as a 16 year old sub)

Stant

Comparisons between eras is always problematical but it could be argued that Hughie Ferguson from the 1920s is our most prolific scorer on a goals per game ratio. In 4 seasons he played 139 times for us scoring 92 goals at 0.66 goals per game which exceeds any of the City players above him in the listing. Wiki ( which understates his City record) has him scoring 366 career goals in 439 games at a rate of 0.83 goals per game which far exceeds Jimmy Greaves. As I said comparisons between eras is not always relevant but Ferguson's scoring record overall puts him right up there with the all time highest scorers. Was he a "finisher in a Greavesie style" ? Who knows but at 5'7" he doesn't sound like a traditional centre forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Odd player Earnie was.
    Great finisher but some times he looked like he'd never played the game.
    The aspects of his game that were good though were so good it didn't matter most of the time.
    Earnie was never coached as a youngster. He was the last Apprentice taken on in his year, and wasn't connected to a Professional club before that, He played junior football for a Caerphilly based club called G.E Wales, who played in the Cardiff and District junior league for some reason. He was scoring a ridiculous amount of goals for them. I think that he took football up quite late in comparison to other kids who went on to have a Professional career.

You can’t compare any Cardiff player to the great man himself. It would be an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Earnie was never coached as a youngster. He was the last Apprentice taken on in his year, and wasn't connected to a Professional club before that, He played junior football for a Caerphilly based club called G.E Wales, who played in the Cardiff and District junior league for some reason. He was scoring a ridiculous amount of goals for them. I think that he took football up quite late in comparison to other kids who went on to have a Professional career.
    His autobiography is a really good read, started off playing with a ball made from plastic carrier bags. His mother was a professional footballer and boxer I believe (crazy I know). Loved him at City and for Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    An interesting chart...

Attachment 4560

Personally I l always liked Joe Bonson...even if he doesn't figure here...I can always remember a diving header v Leyton Orient away where we won 4-3 away in our promotion season 1959-60!!! Also same season Johnny Watkins volleying in from a Brian Walsh Cross!! Not prolific bit Peter Hooper was also a memory in the making....
    Tosh was the most prolific judging from these stats....or a very close second to Earnie. Interestingly doesn't get much of a mention in this thread.