+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where's the magic gone and will it ever come back?

Where's the magic gone and will it ever come back?

When the kids were young in the early 90's I used to drive down regularly to NP. We've all been down since but as they've grown up, got married, had kids it's been more difficult and less frequent and my youngest who was the keenest Bluebird emigrated down under.

I've been down without them many times in the interim but we have a chance in December to come down a bit like the old days and this time with the grandkids. However watching games of late I can honestly admit to having lost the passion to come to the CCS and watch some pretty tasteless football. Do I really want to bring everyone down to see what's currently on the plate?

Really sad when reflecting on the good times and what's happening now.

I also switched on some of the PL stuff today and couldn't get into it at all.

Football is in crisis.

Understandably Covid has made football very difficult from a business standpoint but I really hope that there will be a change at the CCS to make us a bit more appealing.

TIB

Re: Where's the magic gone and will it ever come back?

Being hoofed about above our heads and kicked 70 yards down channels in a game of kick and chase.

Do it, sounds a good opportunity to reminisce and make some new memories with the grandkids.

Most of the city experience over the years is good in spite of the football.

Come expecting a cure for insomnia for the 90 and if it's any better then that's a bonus.

Once you are asked who do you support and you say Cardiff City .......even though we are crap , you know you are on the right tracks

Bluebirds

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Once you are asked who do you support and you say Cardiff City .......even though we are crap , you know you are on the right tracks

Bluebirds
    Just come back from Benidorm where the universal attitude when Cardiff was mentioned was "you should be paid to watch it"

Never mind its better than the dungeon days.

Like we are the only team that has been through some bad times.
    Get a grip ffs.

Get behind your team and be a supporter of Cardiff City football club

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Get a grip ffs.

I do support them when they are playing. As I am sure most on here do .
    This is the place to come and vent our frustrations about the style and lack of ambition or foresight.

Thats if its ok with you and one or two others?

We played some of the best stuff i’ve ever seen down the City under Dave Jones, but he still got slated from his hole to his pole, because he didn’t ‘smile’ enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Football is in crisis.
    Football is in crisis because City are shit at the moment?

I'm guessing it will survive.....

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    We played some of the best stuff i’ve ever seen down the City under Dave Jones, but he still got slated from his hole to his pole, because he didn’t ‘smile’ enough.
    Baffled me , we had just drawn with Reading away in the play offs. The guy next to me was going ballistic because Dave Jones hadnt come over and danced with the supporters.
    great football with a bit of a soft centre . Thoroughly enjoyable.

Get a grip ffs.

Bluebirds !

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Just come back from Benidorm where the universal attitude when Cardiff was mentioned was "you should be paid to watch it"

From Benidorm fans ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

It most certainly is

A big crowd back then was about 6000

We would take 2 coaches away , one half full

We were getting beaten by s cunthorpe and crewe , regularly

We got beaten at home by Wrexham in front of 1900 fans

I don't like the experience of watching football in the CCS as much as I did at NP.

Also, entirely objectively, Tan is bit of a kunt. And his idea of an enjoyable product is different to mine, let's say.

Nevermind. Keep an eye out for the scores and hope for better times ahead. Give it another decade or so though.

It most certainly is

Depends what "dungeon days" you are talking about really. Glory in League Two tastes as good as it does in the championship.

Same goes for shit football.

Sounded like there was 2k there on Saturday. 2k miserable, grumbly feckers sounds very similar 20k miserable, grumbly feckers.

Get a grip ffs.

We can all have an opinion.

Get a grip yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Depends what "dungeon days" you are talking about really. Glory in League Two tastes as good as it does in the championship.

Same goes for shit football.

Sounded like there was 2k there on Saturday. 2k miserable, grumbly feckers sounds very similar 20k miserable, grumbly feckers.
    Most of them are on here

It most certainly is

Utterly irrelevant to our current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Utterly irrelevant to our current situation.
    Well it's utterly relevant as the poster talked about watching ccfc in the 1990s , a time when we were complete crap most of the time

So I am sorry but you are incorrect

Well it's utterly relevant as the poster talked about watching ccfc in the 1990s , a time when we were complete crap most of the time

So I am sorry but you are incorrect
    You’re right, of course: crap then and crap now. Nothing has changed except the wage bill and the division we play in!

We are proper rubbish, really bad.
    Absolutely Fcking terrible in fact...but the amount of Knicker Wetting is worse than the Football.

Our fans have become a bunch of “Waitrose types”
    Right bunch of fcking herberts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    We are proper rubbish, really bad.
    Absolutely Fcking terrible in fact...but the amount of Knicker Wetting is worse than the Football.

Our fans have become a bunch of “Waitrose types”
    Right bunch of fcking herberts!!!
    Sludge talks as if supporting City should be like a lifetime spent in purgatory, are you saying you agree with him?

For far too long on the pitch and for the last few months off it, City have traded very heavily on the notion that you cannot change your football club once you have one because they have been treating their customers like shit.

On the football front, we’re expected to turn up without complaint to watch football that was considered very basic in the eighties - all over the country, there are clubs that play, progressive, entertaining football, but in this part of South Wales, we’re stuck with a club that wants to be the new Wimbledon. Their style of play worked for them because they were good at it and, as a tiny club, when they came into the Football League, it worked for them to the extent that they enjoyed success they couldn’t have dreamed of if they’d played “normal” football, what’s our excuse?

Someone said that the crowd were disinterested on Saturday, I disagree, I think the club and team are lucky that they are still getting support of a quality they don’t deserve - City crowds through most of my time supporting the club would have turned by now if they had to put up with what the modern day fan does, we’re being taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sludge talks as if supporting City should be like a lifetime spent in purgatory, are you saying you agree with him?

For far too long on the pitch and for the last few months off it, City have traded very heavily on the notion that you cannot change your football club once you have one because they have been treating their customers like shit.

On the football front, we’re expected to turn up without complaint to watch football that was considered very basic in the eighties - all over the country, there are clubs that play, progressive, entertaining football, but in this part of South Wales, we’re stuck with a club that wants to be the new Wimbledon. Their style of play worked for them because they were good at it and, as a tiny club, when they came into the Football League, it worked for them to the extent that they enjoyed success they couldn’t have dreamed of if they’d played “normal” football, what’s our excuse?

Someone said that the crowd were disinterested on Saturday, I disagree, I think the club and team are lucky that they are still getting support of a quality they don’t deserve - City crowds through most of my time supporting the club would have turned by now if they had to put up with what the modern day fan does, we’re being taken for granted.
    When you say ‘turned by now’, do you mean voting with their feet?
    For as long as i can remember, i’ve never been more that 6ft away from a City fan at a game that isn’t fecking moaning about some aspect of the performance, even when we’re winning.
    Maybe the standard of players has dropped off?
    Last seasons championship was of a woeful standard. Norwich pissed it, but haven't won a game back in the top flight.
    Far to many bang average players are getting top dollar now, and are’t worth it.
    Too many negative and limited managers in the game as well.
    It’s a minefield getting the balance right.
    When i was a kid, West Ham played some of the most attractive football in the too flight, but got nowhere near winning it.
    Kevin Keegan's Newcastle played some scintillating stuff, and got with in a whisker, but still won the middle of a doughnut.
    Plenty of City fans didn’t give a hoot that we we’re boring under MM the season we went up.
    Plenty of City fans moaned like **** the season we lost to Blackpool in the play off final although we played some great stuff that season.
    Is there an answer to this conundrum?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

our first seasons as a family were in the lower leagues and sat in the family stand at np. the atmosphere was great for kids and we had players like leggy, lfw, ernie etc. there was a magic and the kids loved it which is one reason we drove down to see the match and visit family. the football wasn't amazing but we saw goals and got the feeling the players cared.

i've been watching city since the late 60's and sadly for me the buzz has gone and watching the coventry game summed it up.

i'd love to bring my grandsons down to see something worthwhile.

I think it is caused by a lot of factors but for many football is not how it was.

The move from Ninian Park to the new ground, while needed, lost a lot of character and sanitised the whole experience for many. Some might have welcomed it but it changed the actual match experience for many including myself.

Football has changed, a lot of the aspects I enjoyed have gone out of the game. The meaty challenge, the midfield tussle where players got stuck into one another. I dislike aspects of the game now for the same reason I've never enjoyed watching friendlies. It is like a non contact sport and becoming increasingly so.

There seems a lack of connection between the fans and players that there was. The current team seems a world away from some of the players mentioned here. Your Earnie's, Ledley's and the like. Can't put my finger on why but they just seem disconnected from the fans in a way that wouldn't happen before.

The owners, while still being here, seem to be disinterested and running things on a shoe string while still expecting fans to turn up and give 100% our end just through blind loyalty.

All the above with the pandemic thrown in and people realising that there are things outside of football that they could be doing. I don't think you are the only one who feels less of a buzz about the whole thing.

If that makes me a bed wetter, a Jack or a bed wetting Jack I don't care. I'm not going to say the football is great, the owners and board are clued up or the matchday experience is top notch because it is simply not the case.