Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff and Bristol City interested in free agent

Cardiff and Bristol City interested in free agent

Re: Cardiff and Bristol City interested in free agent

Lovely hair,how tall is he ?

qualifies for Wales apparently

From some grainy footage I've found he seems tall, although difficult to tell in youth matches as it could just be everyone else is short. And the quoted heights are often a few years out of date.

Seems quick and happy to put himself about and then drive forward with the ball from midfield.

Spurs fans were bigging him up not too long ago.

In football, the term "free agent" is a very uninspiring term. Also, what's the deal with rejecting a contract at Spurs? Seems fishy.

We’ve got a twenty year old Welsh midfielder who has just broken into the squad - let’s see how he does.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    In football, the term "free agent" is a very uninspiring term. Also, what's the deal with rejecting a contract at Spurs? Seems fishy.
    probably didn't see much chance not getting game time there with the number of midfielders they have. not every club is as progressive as us at bringing players through you know.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’ve got a twenty year old Welsh midfielder who has just broken into the squad - let’s see how he does.
    let's have 2 fighting for the spot

also variously linked with Hoffenheim, Leicester and Brentford.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    let's have 2 fighting for the spot
    Quite. We clearly need to improve the squad

Sounds ideal. We could sign him and then loan him out to someone - why not Bristol City? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Sounds ideal. We could sign him and then loan him out to someone - why not Bristol City? ��
    You’ve played this game before.

A free agent = 'resting' in the acting world.

With Tom Lowery as another example, there seem to be a few free agents who were advised by their agents that entering post-covid world without a transfer fee attached was the right thing to do.

Thorpe is one I expected to land higher than Championship level but now looking for a club. He does seem similar to Colwill but if they can both hit the gym and learn heading from Flint then a front 3 of Moore, Colwill and Thorpe would be an excellent mix of Cardiff City old (big and physical) and Cardiff City new (skillful, young and lots of potential) that would give us the balance Bournemouth achieved on the weekend.

probably didn't see much chance not getting game time there with the number of midfielders they have. not every club is as progressive as us at bringing players through you know.
    Still, it's rare that someone would turn down a contract in favor of nothing. I wonder what his agent had to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thorpe is one I expected to land higher than Championship level but now looking for a club. He does seem similar to Colwill but if they can both hit the gym and learn heading from Flint then a front 3 of Moore, Colwill and Thorpe would be an excellent mix of Cardiff City old (big and physical) and Cardiff City new (skillful, young and lots of potential) that would give us the balance Bournemouth achieved on the weekend.
    So, no issues with the defence or midfield, then?! 😂

Still, it's rare that someone would turn down a contract in favor of nothing. I wonder what his agent had to say about that.
    Happens more often now, he was clearly never going to make it at Spurs. If he signs a 2/3 year deal, he'll be 22/23 without any first team football potentially and might be out of the game. His next move is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Happens more often now, he was clearly never going to make it at Spurs. If he signs a 2/3 year deal, he'll be 22/23 without any first team football potentially and might be out of the game. His next move is crucial.
    That probably rules us out then.

That probably rules us out then.
    I dunno, if you look at how many games we are giving to young players this season, and that our entire central midfield will be out of contract in the summer, someone coming here is going to get a chance to force their way into the team before too long.

I suppose Wintle is the argument against that, but he's playing at the same level week in week out as well.

I dunno, if you look at how many games we are giving to young players this season, and that our entire central midfield will be out of contract in the summer, someone coming here is going to get a chance to force their way into the team before too long.

I suppose Wintle is the argument against that, but he's playing at the same level week in week out as well.
    This lad is more of an attacking player, though, so competition/cover for Rubin, which would be useful.

Note to DML: this is my annual non cynical posting! 🤓

Bristol City "merely maintaining a watching brief" apparently. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/...ardiff-5946341

You'd like to think the lad has something lined up if he has turned down a contract but you can also understand it from the point of view of him not getting a realistic chance at Spurs and a brave but necessary decision from him.

There seems to be a trend, certainly in the past few years of your larger clubs taking on players that might not feature for them but they believe they can make money on from just being in the set up of that club and putting them in the shop window on loan. See Chelsea with players like Ampadu, Man City with the likes of Matondo and even closer to home Liverpool with Grujic and Harry Wilson. A view from the larger club of snap up almost every promising talent and still profiting from them even if they never play for the first team. The crazy world of football.

None of the above players ever looked close to featuring for the parent club with any regularity and I don't think Ampadu will ever feature regularly for Chelsea as much as I'd like it to happen for Wales' benefit. A cut price move to a lower Premier League or Championship club more likely.

Good luck to the lad in the OP though. In the same position I would prefer to give it a go than rot in Spurs Under 23s and look back thinking what might have been. A brave decision all the same though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    This lad is more of an attacking player, though, so competition/cover for Rubin, which would be useful.

Note to DML: this is my annual non cynical posting! ��
    he's described elsewhere as a box to box midfielder, it a central midfielder, but can also play 8 or 10.
    in the brief video clips I've seen he reminded me a bit of Jordon Mutch