Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
Yes, looking back it was scary. 20,000 miles a year and much of it done before or after a days work! During my working life I worked for companies based in Crawley, Milton Keynes, and of course Sandwich, (plus they had a main admin centre near Reigate.) Would have made sense to move to the South east of England, but Cardiff remained my home whilst various Hilton Hotels served as working bases.
I was also involved with ABPI and trips to London were a bonus as the train took the strain.
BTW did you do Phd in Cardiff.?..my son did same at UHW..he's in his 50s now.
London became home and my base for just over a decade before moving back to Cardiff. I was close to the M4 and Heathrow as well as the old MCA HQ in Vauxhall. Plus, I used to use the EuroTrain a lot too (driving onto that for the first time was weird). Those Hilton's served as meeting places and beds for me too.
Did my PhD at Nottingham but when working spent a lot of time with development teams in Universities all over the UK and Europe. Ended up going to lots of strange football matches at places like Freiburg and Darmstadt with guys who were fans.
I used to think I'd miss it but things forced my hand and life has a way of opening doors even when others were forced shut. I love coding and game development and I can work at my own pace now which of course is essential.
But going back to driving, I'm in the process of sorting out an adapted sim rig and getting a Porsche wheel so I can race in a new online series. There was a race for the MS Society on iRacing a few weeks back which attracted quite a few top drivers. With VR it really is so immersive but a hell of a lot safer!