+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone driving to Blackburn - M6 full closure this weekend

Anyone driving to Blackburn - M6 full closure this weekend

https://twitter.com/HighwaysWMIDS/st...00044234620949

National Highways: West Midlands
    @HighwaysWMIDS
    We’ll close the M6 at j10 from 8pm Friday 24 September to 6am Monday 27 September. Severe delays expected. An ‘up and over’ diversion will be in place. You may wish to consider using the M6 toll as an alternative route to the M6 on this occasion. Usual toll fees will apply.

Re: Anyone driving to Blackburn - M6 full closure this weekend

Wow those protesters have really stepped their game up

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Wow those protesters have really stepped their game up
    Hornets nest warning! 😉🐝

That's a horrible drive without any added nuisance. Drive it on my own a few weekends in a row for work there and back same shift.. Horid.

It did snow one time that was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    That's a horrible drive without any added nuisance. Drive it on my own a few weekends in a row for work there and back same shift.. Horid.

It did snow one time that was nice.
    I don't envy you that kind of driving. I'd hate to do it now. I used to clock up a lot of miles particularly in Europe before 2011 when I had to stop driving and haven't driven a (real) car since (I do safely Sim Race which keeps me sane). I hated driving for work but loved cars for pleasure. Until you stop, you don't think you can ever cope but it's amazing how we adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I don't envy you that kind of driving. I'd hate to do it now. I used to clock up a lot of miles particularly in Europe before 2011 when I had to stop driving and haven't driven a (real) car since (I do safely Sim Race which keeps me sane). I hated driving for work but loved cars for pleasure. Until you stop, you don't think you can ever cope but it's amazing how we adapt.
    Like you I worked for pharma and used to leave South Wales for Sandwich each Monday very early planning to arrive for a day's work. I remember once meeting snow on the M20 and suddenly coming upon a queue of cars. I mounted the banking came back down and stopped about a metre before the carnage. Thank you VW and winter tyres

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Like you I worked for pharma and used to leave South Wales for Sandwich each Monday very early planning to arrive for a day's work. I remember once meeting snow on the M20 and suddenly coming upon a queue of cars. I mounted the banking came back down and stopped about a metre before the carnage. Thank you VW and winter tyres
    You got paid in sandwiches?

Thankfully I'm working a lot closer to home now and don't drive at the moment I'm a passenger and I'm milking it!!

That's quite a drive and a very scary experience. Not much guesswork is required as to your preferred vaccine brand! I've been to quite a few manufacturing sites and companies but never got to Sandwich.

It's quite scary looking back at just how irresponsible I was driving long distances, working/meetings all day, and then back home. Even an overnight to a German or French plant in two days was madness looking back and I wouldn't do it now even if I could though I would enjoy all the bells and whistles contemporary cars are equipped with now (not that I was driving a Model T or anything!).

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You got paid in sandwiches?
    Depended on how much dough was in them!

That's quite a drive and a very scary experience. Not much guesswork is required as to your preferred vaccine brand! I've been to quite a few manufacturing sites and companies but never got to Sandwich.

It's quite scary looking back at just how irresponsible I was driving long distances, working/meetings all day, and then back home. Even an overnight to a German or French plant in two days was madness looking back and I wouldn't do it now even if I could though I would enjoy all the bells and whistles contemporary cars are equipped with now (not that I was driving a Model T or anything!).
    Yes, looking back it was scary. 20,000 miles a year and much of it done before or after a days work! During my working life I worked for companies based in Crawley, Milton Keynes, and of course Sandwich, (plus they had a main admin centre near Reigate.) Would have made sense to move to the South east of England, but Cardiff remained my home whilst various Hilton Hotels served as working bases.
    I was also involved with ABPI and trips to London were a bonus as the train took the strain.
    BTW did you do Phd in Cardiff.?..my son did same at UHW..he's in his 50s now.

Yes, looking back it was scary. 20,000 miles a year and much of it done before or after a days work! During my working life I worked for companies based in Crawley, Milton Keynes, and of course Sandwich, (plus they had a main admin centre near Reigate.) Would have made sense to move to the South east of England, but Cardiff remained my home whilst various Hilton Hotels served as working bases.
    I was also involved with ABPI and trips to London were a bonus as the train took the strain.
    BTW did you do Phd in Cardiff.?..my son did same at UHW..he's in his 50s now.
    London became home and my base for just over a decade before moving back to Cardiff. I was close to the M4 and Heathrow as well as the old MCA HQ in Vauxhall. Plus, I used to use the EuroTrain a lot too (driving onto that for the first time was weird). Those Hilton's served as meeting places and beds for me too.
    Did my PhD at Nottingham but when working spent a lot of time with development teams in Universities all over the UK and Europe. Ended up going to lots of strange football matches at places like Freiburg and Darmstadt with guys who were fans.
    I used to think I'd miss it but things forced my hand and life has a way of opening doors even when others were forced shut. I love coding and game development and I can work at my own pace now which of course is essential.
    But going back to driving, I'm in the process of sorting out an adapted sim rig and getting a Porsche wheel so I can race in a new online series. There was a race for the MS Society on iRacing a few weeks back which attracted quite a few top drivers. With VR it really is so immersive but a hell of a lot safer!

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    https://twitter.com/HighwaysWMIDS/st...00044234620949

National Highways: West Midlands
    @HighwaysWMIDS
    We’ll close the M6 at j10 from 8pm Friday 24 September to 6am Monday 27 September. Severe delays expected. An ‘up and over’ diversion will be in place. You may wish to consider using the M6 toll as an alternative route to the M6 on this occasion. Usual toll fees will apply.
    You also have to navigate the m4 chaos