+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate the way my team play at the moment.

I hate the way my team play at the moment.

Re: I hare the way my team play at the moment.

QUICK CHANGE THE TITLE BEFORE THE PUNS START

Yeah we're playing ra bbit rubbish at the mo

too late

Is MM living on burrowed time

Re: I hate the way my team play at the moment.

Just in time!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    too late
    he'll be hopping mad when he sees this thread

A nice bit of publicity for the councillor.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Why would a councillor need publicity?

'I watched Caerau Ely away up in Pontyclun the other day. The crowd was almost totally made up of lapsed or current City fans. When I spoke to a few of them the message was clear. The game we had watched between Pontyclun and Caerau had been more exciting than anything we had watched down the City in a long while.'

F*ck the ESL. This IS football.

His point about having a DoF to implement a long term strategy is one that many fans have been advocating for years, but Dalman is adament that we don't need one because we have "a transfer committee". The fact that he thinks a DoF is involved only in recruitment says everything about how little he and Choo know about running a club at this level.

Whether he's fishing for publicity or not, I agree with pretty much everything in that article (except the first sentence that is; nowhere is it guaranteed that supporting your football team should be "a largely enjoyable experience").

Peter Bradbury has been on the Cardiff City Phone In many times, saying the same message.
    I agree with him - apart from keeping our McManager who I never wanted in the first place.

Don’t get this stuff about the politician needing publicity, he’s been a Councillor for about ten years, if not more, why would he decide he needs publicity now? I know Peter and I’d say the term passionate City fan describes him well.

A very good piece. A bit irritated by the constant lashing of Bacuna. At least he gets in there and competes. He shouldn’t be the latest scapegoat (or escaped goat) in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    A very good piece. A bit irritated by the constant lashing of Bacuna. At least he gets in there and competes. He shouldn’t be the latest scapegoat (or escaped goat) in my view.
    In the comments column of the article.

1. If I've done my maths right we've had 399 games under Malky, Slade, Warnock, Harris and Mick over past 10 years and only 42 under Ole and Trollope - I know the writer rarely gets to enter their own headline but "right now" suggests it's been massively different before. (I agree if was different under DJ but only for a few months before an unprofessional pre-season sunk us time and again).

2. To be fair, it has been different before: we've spent a lot of those 399 games winning and plenty of the 42 losing. There was consistent complaints under Slade (predominantly based on his personality) but really only Neil Harris onwards has style of play became an issue for most - when style of play dictated by what Warnock left behind.

3. We roll our eyes when radio hosts say Cardiff fans don't want pretty football but there is a groan heard when we pass ball backwards and excitement when it's moved forwards quickly so they have a point. Majority of our fans don't want to be a team who can control the ball, just want players who can consistently control the ball.

4. His complaints about transfer strategy don't reflect what's happened since Neil Harris came in.

5. He comments about DoF without explaining what would be different to now. A consistent approach so change of manager doesn't mean starting again? Mate, we've had 399 games of consistent approach and last 3 manager have been an evolution rather than revolution - that is DoF stuff without a DoF.

6. His complaints about 5 at the back show a lack of understanding of football tactics - some use 5 at the back as an attacking formation.

7. Him wanting Mick to reproduce an Ireland side will have many in Ireland guffawing under this headline. Him wanting to return to football as it was in the early 2000's will have Mick here for next 10 years.

8. Imo, it's really a poor piece of analysis of where out team has been, where it is and where it's going. But it fits the popular view of this time and club needs to hear it because if we lose the full Canton/away end Mick will leave us where Slade did rather than on the strong footing and more ready for potential promotion than we've been at any time in last decade - where we're heading towards currently.

The fact that he is a Councillor has nothing to do with his views on football. He is just an ordinary football fan and these are his personal views. Some will agree with him and others wont. However to WOL this is like manna from heaven. A chance to print a sensationalised and critical article about the club, giving the impression that all the fans are against the club and that he must have his ‘finger on the pulse’ because he is a Councillor. In their eyes the fact that he is a Councillor gives the article legitimacy and importance but it doesn't - it is irrelevant what he does. Do you think that WOL would have gone anywhere near this type of full article if he had just been say, a labourer or a bus driver - no chance. It serves their agenda nicely.

Just to back up what I said in point 6 above: Cardiff City U23s have scored 9 goals from 4 games playing same formation.

Does he get limited by word count? "I hate the five-at-the-back tactics" is such a silly thing to say if you're allowed more words to expand.

Surely, five at the back can mean different things? With our first team being more defensive, it’s quite different to how the u23s play.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    1. If I've done my maths right we've had 399 games under Malky, Slade, Warnock, Harris and Mick over past 10 years and only 42 under Ole and Trollope - I know the writer rarely gets to enter their own headline but "right now" suggests it's been massively different before. (I agree if was different under DJ but only for a few months before an unprofessional pre-season sunk us time and again).

2. To be fair, it has been different before: we've spent a lot of those 399 games winning and plenty of the 42 losing. There was consistent complaints under Slade (predominantly based on his personality) but really only Neil Harris onwards has style of play became an issue for most - when style of play dictated by what Warnock left behind.

3. We roll our eyes when radio hosts say Cardiff fans don't want pretty football but there is a groan heard when we pass ball backwards and excitement when it's moved forwards quickly so they have a point. Majority of our fans don't want to be a team who can control the ball, just want players who can consistently control the ball.

4. His complaints about transfer strategy don't reflect what's happened since Neil Harris came in.

5. He comments about DoF without explaining what would be different to now. A consistent approach so change of manager doesn't mean starting again? Mate, we've had 399 games of consistent approach and last 3 manager have been an evolution rather than revolution - that is DoF stuff without a DoF.

6. His complaints about 5 at the back show a lack of understanding of football tactics - some use 5 at the back as an attacking formation.

7. Him wanting Mick to reproduce an Ireland side will have many in Ireland guffawing under this headline. Him wanting to return to football as it was in the early 2000's will have Mick here for next 10 years.

8. Imo, it's really a poor piece of analysis of where out team has been, where it is and where it's going. But it fits the popular view of this time and club needs to hear it because if we lose the full Canton/away end Mick will leave us where Slade did rather than on the strong footing and more ready for potential promotion than we've been at any time in last decade - where we're heading towards currently.
    You have this notion that we’re in the middle of some sort of evolution/revolution which will end with us being the sort of team that many of us want us to be. I’d say you’re tacking on an outcome which I see little sign of.

A couple of points, the only evolution I see under the last three managers is a descent into duller and duller football.

We played with a back five on Saturday and although they are a bit more than full backs normally, our wing backs are generally defensively minded.

I wish I had your faith in “the plan”, but I haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The fact that he is a Councillor has nothing to do with his views on football. He is just an ordinary football fan and these are his personal views. Some will agree with him and others wont. However to WOL this is like manna from heaven. A chance to print a sensationalised and critical article about the club, giving the impression that all the fans are against the club and that he must have his ‘finger on the pulse’ because he is a Councillor. In their eyes the fact that he is a Councillor gives the article legitimacy and importance but it doesn't - it is irrelevant what he does. Do you think that WOL would have gone anywhere near this type of full article if he had just been say, a labourer or a bus driver - no chance. It serves their agenda nicely.
    Can I ask are there are any circumstances where you think criticism of the club is justified?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can I ask are there are any circumstances where you think criticism of the club is justified?
    If you read my post properly, you will see that I was not making a point about whether criticism of the club is justified or not. It was about the merits of and reasons for the headline article/interview with a local councillor, published by WOL. I don't believe they would have published it if he was not a councillor but in my opinion the fact he is a councillor has nothing to do with it. He is acting and commenting purely as a ‘fan’. There is a separate debate also to be had as to whether a local councillor should use his position of office to get his views across on how a football club should be run or how the team should play. Perhaps there are more pressing local issues he should be pursuing ? Anyway, that was not what I was posting about.

You said “a chance to print a sensationalised and critical article about the club”, so I just wanted to know why you didn’t think being critical was appropriate here - unless of course, you love the way we play?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You have this notion that we’re in the middle of some sort of evolution/revolution which will end with us being the sort of team that many of us want us to be. I’d say you’re tacking on an outcome which I see little sign of.

A couple of points, the only evolution I see under the last three managers is a descent into duller and duller football.

We played with a back five on Saturday and although they are a bit more than full backs normally, our wing backs are generally defensively minded.

I wish I had your faith in “the plan”, but I haven’t.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Edited.