+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year profit/loss on player purchases and sales

5 year profit/loss on player purchases and sales

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...y-more-3391723

does not make pretty reading for us.
    we are amongst some bad company there.
    yes we seem to be changing our transfer strategy to address this, but is it too little too late?

Re: 5 year profit/loss on player purchases and sales

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spor...y-more-3391723

does not make pretty reading for us.
    we are amongst some bad company there.
    yes we seem to be changing our transfer strategy to address this, but is it too little too late?
    Blimey - Swansea have spent some money haven't they! I didn't realise that it was as much as that. Presumably a lot of this was during EPL times tho

No real surprise there. We've paid big money for average players that were never going to increase in price.

23rd out of 24 shocked me though. Worse than the Derby and Forests of this world that the happy clappers like to compare us to.

It's alright, we won't be continuing that pattern of buying over priced players and selling them for peanuts. We had Tan, Dalman and Choo overseeing it then and we now have Tan, Dalman and Choo pulling the strings.

Needs to really take into account the income generated from those sales.
    I’m our case we got a season in the premiership off the back of what was spent either side of that.

In the last 11 seasons in the championship alone we have averaged a finishing position of between 5-6.
    So that ROI would be the envy of most.

It doesn’t make for good reading but I wonder how accurate it is. I’m surprised to see Fulham in only 12th place, I thought they had invested very heavily and unwisely on their 2 previous promotions

Not good reading, but the % profit/loss ranking is less interesting than the raw numbers.

Cardiff have signed a few expensive duds in recent years (up to 2019 anyway) but have not splashed the cash in the way that some other clubs have - those that have been in the EPL in the last 5 years and a few that haven't. The club also got into a habit of paying up a lot of contracts (and in the case of Murphy, letting it run down) which just bled value and assets. A few transfer successes like Ken Zohore do not balance those books.

But it is also true that the club have changed their strategy in the past 2 years - under Tan, Dalman and Choo. It may be planned, or it may be through financial necessity (maybe a mixture of both), and it has certainly been helped by the Academy's golden generation finally coming of age at a time when a pathway to the first team opens up. That Academy age group has been highlighted by the club and by posters on here for several years - it is not recent spin to cover belt tightening. Credit where it's due - even if it is overdue.

We are now a club that is looking for value in the lower leagues and growing our own. That is positive and will surely push us up this particular profit/loss league in the next few years. Bear in mind that Derby are above us in the current table - so a bit of context is needed!

(No detail in the source table, but I don't think the Sala fee can be in the totals?)

I hate articles like that that make you click through lots of different pages

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    It doesn’t make for good reading but I wonder how accurate it is. I’m surprised to see Fulham in only 12th place, I thought they had invested very heavily and unwisely on their 2 previous promotions
    most of Fulham's seem to be still there

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    No real surprise there. We've paid big money for average players that were never going to increase in price.

23rd out of 24 shocked me though. Worse than the Derby and Forests of this world that the happy clappers like to compare us to.

It's alright, we won't be continuing that pattern of buying over priced players and selling them for peanuts. We had Tan, Dalman and Choo overseeing it then and we now have Tan, Dalman and Choo pulling the strings.
    The club has clearly changed its transfer policy. Getting in younger players from the leagues below isn’t something we’ve done under this management. Plus having academy players filling out the squad rather than overpaying for players like Cunningham to sit on the bench is a step forward (although this is likely a cost cutting strategy but it’s a welcome change)

It's a good indicator but completely useless as you could buy £100m worth of players, sell none but have those assets sitting in your squad with a resale value.

I think it's clear though just from knowing the team and squad as fans we know we've done crap and got somewhat lucky (but also deserved) we went up

Can't imagine how bad it would have been if we hadn't got big fees paid for Zohore and Decordova-Reid. Trying and struggling to think of who else makes up the sale figure though?

It should hopefully look different in five years time as per jon1959's post above.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Can't imagine how bad it would have been if we hadn't got big fees paid for Zohore and Decordova-Reid. Trying and struggling to think of who else makes up the sale figure though?

It should hopefully look different in five years time as per jon1959's post above.
    We wouldn't have bought BDR if it wasn't for promotion so its a bit moot

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I hate articles like that that make you click through lots of different pages
    How do I get to your second page?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Net spend maybe.

Isn't this percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How do I get to your second page?
    Click next.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Click next.
    I did - and ended up buying a handbag and a printed dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I did - and ended up buying a handbag and a printed dress.
    Strange. Worked fine on my phone.

Of our spending we still have Smithies, Phillips, Ng, Flint, Pack, Bacuna, Vaulks, Murphy, Moore, Vasell, Tomlin and Watters still on our books. Not that we'll get much for any of them in the current climate. Our wage bill was massive too, but not as big as WBA, or Fulham, or Bournemouth or Stoke I would imagine.

It’s a moot point as to whether the Academy itself is to blame or whether it’s the club for such short sighted policies, but what comes over clearly is that our spending is not of the order you’d expect from a club in twenty third place - it’s the lack of receipts from the sale of youngsters that hit us hard. Sides like Forest, Derby, Reading and the wurzels have been able to supplement their buying with a fairly steady stream of Academy products sold for seven and eight figure sums.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It’s a moot point as to whether the Academy itself is to blame or whether it’s the club for such short sighted policies, but what comes over clearly is that our spending is not of the order you’d expect from a club in twenty third place - it’s the lack of receipts from the sale of youngsters that hit us hard. Sides like Forest, Derby, Reading and the wurzels have been able to supplement their buying with a fairly steady stream of Academy products sold for seven and eight figure sums.
    We're throwing kids in at all angles now though.

Kerching.

Do we really think these reports are that accurate and truthful, as we know business , owners , are good at hiding and routing cash through complex financial journeys ,you only got to see how difficult it is to hold clubs to account and prove misappropriation of assets .

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not good reading, but the % profit/loss ranking is less interesting than the raw numbers.

Cardiff have signed a few expensive duds in recent years (up to 2019 anyway) but have not splashed the cash in the way that some other clubs have - those that have been in the EPL in the last 5 years and a few that haven't. The club also got into a habit of paying up a lot of contracts (and in the case of Murphy, letting it run down) which just bled value and assets. A few transfer successes like Ken Zohore do not balance those books.

But it is also true that the club have changed their strategy in the past 2 years - under Tan, Dalman and Choo. It may be planned, or it may be through financial necessity (maybe a mixture of both), and it has certainly been helped by the Academy's golden generation finally coming of age at a time when a pathway to the first team opens up. That Academy age group has been highlighted by the club and by posters on here for several years - it is not recent spin to cover belt tightening. Credit where it's due - even if it is overdue.

We are now a club that is looking for value in the lower leagues and growing our own. That is positive and will surely push us up this particular profit/loss league in the next few years. Bear in mind that Derby are above us in the current table - so a bit of context is needed!

(No detail in the source table, but I don't think the Sala fee can be in the totals?)
    As alluded to within this Tom Sang interview: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...aster-21663735

"It's class!" Sang said of how far the academy has come.

"When I first came two and a half years ago, the first six months I didn't train once with the first team.

"At that time, you're thinking, 'Is there a pathway?' but as soon as that happened, there was the next one and the next one and the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Do we really think these reports are that accurate and truthful, as we know business , owners , are good at hiding and routing cash through complex financial journeys ,you only got to see how difficult it is to hold clubs to account and prove misappropriation of assets .
    Well, if someone suggested to me that we've been pretty rubbish in the transfer market in recent seasons, I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    We're throwing kids in at all angles now though.

Kerching.
    You keep saying this as if the whole team is a bunch of teenagers, the only youngster who's started most of our league games is Bagan. Most of the side is hugely experienced, Morrison, Nelson & Flint alone have over 1,000 professional appearances between them! What we are doing is supplementing the squad with young players who can learn from the older players while offer things that the more experienced pros possibly can't and hopefully bringing through players ourselves. This is a pretty sensible way of running a football club, something our fans have been crying out for for ages and is hardly "throwing kids in at all angles"

Interesting that Luton’s spend is allegedly £181k.
    What’s really needed is Total Player Spend, to include wages, agents fees and any other bits.