+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One For The Music Buffs...

Re: One For The Music Buffs...

Glad I set the groundwork 👀

Japan were different

Far superior band to Duran Duran in my opinion , who grabbed the smash hits crowd

“While His recordings of the 1980's and 1990's were a mixture of Pop, Jazz fusion and Avant -Garde, experimentalism mixed with ambient, his more recent compositions have drawn increasingly on musical minimalism and free improvisation"

I’ll assume you know what’s meant by pop! Jazz Fusion is a mixture of Jazz and Rock (e.g. Bitches Brew era Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra). Avant-Garde is anything a bit left field or out there. Experimentalism is self explanatory, ambient is atmospheric music that focuses on tone rather than melody and rhythm (e.g. Brian Eno, Harold Budd). Minimalism is also self explanatory (examples include Philip Glass, Steve Reich). Free improvisation is basically musicians who make up their music as they go along, commonly found but not limited to Jazz.

Amazingly, if you google "While His recordings of the 1980's and 1990's were a mixture of Pop, Jazz fusion and Avant -Garde, experimentalism mixed with ambient, his more recent compositions have drawn increasingly on musical minimalism and free improvisation", David Sylvian is the first name that pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    You'll never believe me but that was my next guess. My mate David just txt me pickup time for work tomorrow. On that note I'm guessing S for the surname it's got to be a sign.

No. Absolutely no idea what any of it means.
    I definitely believe you!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Japan were different

Far superior band to Duran Duran in my opinion , who grabbed the smash hits crowd
    What have Japan got to do with Duran Duran?

Sylvian was asked by Robert Fripp to join King Crimson. He declined. The above track is from 1993. Incidentally there are other YouTube clips from their tour of the Far Esst, too.

StT.
    <><

https://youtu.be/EKXHGd_iU_M

Ah brilliant. Thanks for stirring my memories of Japan.
    Ghosts I guess was their most commercially successful release but my favourite was a cover they did of Smokey Robinson's I Second That Emotion.
    Will def give them a listen later.

I used to quite like Japan, would never have got David Sylvian from that description though - now if they’d have put singer with arty farty New Romantic band it might have been different

I’ve got Ghosts, All Tomorrow’s Parties, I second that Emotion and Quiet Life on my favourite play list.

Surprised Sludge likes them mind.