What a mess.

Is recruiting from Europe the answer.?

Re: HGV Driver Shortages

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What a mess.

No - paying proper wages is the answer.

Offer free or heavily subsidised HGV training to our own.
    That’s the answer.

Plenty of people have taken up a new career as a courier lately and at their own cost in paying for the Van.

We are about 100,000 drivers short allegedly.

How long does it take to train and pass a HGV test.

This looks like a long term problem if thats the number we need.

What a mess.

There is a shortage of HGV drivers throughout Europe - and European HGV drivers don't have to jump through hoops to work in other EU countries.

What a mess.

Nope. Thousands of EU HGV workers have the right to work here anyway, so if they aren't its clearly not going to change. There is also a substantial driver shortage in Europe - what makes us think they will come here?

The British economy is realigning following Brexit. There will be good changes and bad but some disruption is inevitable.

The answer ultimately is to raise wages for British workers. Opening up our economy to an almost endless supply of workers, most of whom have far lower wages expectations than us has relatively damaged working class wages. It hasn't done so at the top, who benefit from it incidentally (probably why very generally speaking, wealthier people generally voted remain, whilst poorer people generally voted leave)

We are hopefully coming to the end of a pandemic and are in the midst of a realigning economy. We need to hold our nerve and get through it.

Practical steps I would suggest: More use of smaller delivery vans where possible, fast-track HGV driver training, campaigns to get retirees back for 1-2 years, have army on standby.

For me it's critical we stand with the workers on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There is a shortage of HGV drivers throughout Europe - and European HGV drivers don't have to jump through hoops to work in other EU countries.
    When you’re in charge of a massive vehicle with huge hazards and long hours in a job you do need to concentrate on I don’t think the finger should be pointed as ‘hoops’

Look at the difference to train and tube drivers and they haven’t got other idiotic road users to deal with

They need plenty of training but it should be free

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    The British economy is realigning following Brexit. There will be good changes and bad but some disruption is inevitable.
    I thought Brexit was going to make everything better straight away? How long are these disruptions going to last? Rees-Mogg reckoned some as long as 50 years....

The Road Haulage Association (who should know more about the problem than the rest of us) reckon it's a problem that's been made worse by brexit and have asked for EU HGV drivers to given back the right to live and work here:

"We need an immediate solution to this problem - we are not going to solve this now by training drivers and as such need access to EU and EEA labour. We ask for the introduction of a temporary worker visa for HGV drivers and for this occupation to be added to the Home Office Shortage Occupation List.
    This will allow UK-registered transport operators to access a workforce that can live and work in the UK more easily and encourage those who have left to return - even if this is short-term measure whilst we concentrate on a longer-term plan."

Whether many want to return/come here is another matter.

https://www.rha.uk.net/News/News-Blo...-boris-johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    The Road Haulage Association (who should know more about the problem than the rest of us) reckon it's a problem that's been made worse by brexit and have asked for EU HGV drivers to given back the right to live and work here:

"We need an immediate solution to this problem - we are not going to solve this now by training drivers and as such need access to EU and EEA labour. We ask for the introduction of a temporary worker visa for HGV drivers and for this occupation to be added to the Home Office Shortage Occupation List.
    This will allow UK-registered transport operators to access a workforce that can live and work in the UK more easily and encourage those who have left to return - even if this is short-term measure whilst we concentrate on a longer-term plan."

This adds to what you posted in explaining why it's worse here than in the EU

https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-euro...srupted-254524

This is replicated in health social care retail and hospitality with chronic staff shortages - not all caused by brexit but also the pandemic and still people on furlough

Nope. Thousands of EU HGV workers have the right to work here anyway, so if they aren't its clearly not going to change. There is also a substantial driver shortage in Europe - what makes us think they will come here?

The answer ultimately is to raise wages for British workers. Opening up our economy to an almost endless supply of workers, most of whom have far lower wages expectations than us has relatively damaged working class wages. It hasn't done so at the top, who benefit from it incidentally (probably why very generally speaking, wealthier people generally voted remain, whilst poorer people generally voted leave)

We are hopefully coming to the end of a pandemic and are in the midst of a realigning economy. We need to hold our nerve and get through it.

Practical steps I would suggest: More use of smaller delivery vans where possible, fast-track HGV driver training, campaigns to get retirees back for 1-2 years, have army on standby.

For me it's critical we stand with the workers on this one.
    **** me, well said. This notion that a lot of the people who voted out in the poorest regions are uneducated racists is just plain wrong. Some will be, but the majority aren't. They voted out because successive governments and the Neo Lib EU systemically contributed towards their pay and conditions dropping. It's not the fault of economic migrants, they probably want the same as anyone else, but the fact is that bosses used labour immigration as a way of paying less and squeezing conditions.

At times, I found the remain campaign and plenty of those who were vocal about staying as snooty and condescending, and not at all interested in trying to understand that people from traditional industrial areas were the losers in almost every respect.

The irony is that the white middle class generally stick with their own, because they can and they have options. The working classes have integrated for centuries, due to economic immigration into these areas, and generally, different cultures have rubbed along pretty well.

These people voted out because governments of both colours sold off manufacturing and heavy industry, didn't replace it with real jobs, unions became weak after legislation was passed by the Tories and new labour, and the EU, run by bankers and bosses did their level best to implement policy that was designed to look after the bosses, not the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I thought Brexit was going to make everything better straight away? How long are these disruptions going to last? Rees-Mogg reckoned some as long as 50 years....
    There was always going to be some disruption. Any one with an ounce of common sense would know that.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    This adds to what you posted in explaining why it's worse here than in the EU

https://trans.info/en/there-s-a-euro...srupted-254524
    Interesting read, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    No you didn't. Any economic changes take a long time to come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    **** me, well said. This notion that a lot of the people who voted out in the poorest regions are uneducated racists is just plain wrong. Some will be, but the majority aren't. They voted out because successive governments and the Neo Lib EU systemically contributed towards their pay and conditions dropping. It's not the fault of economic migrants, they probably want the same as anyone else, but the fact is that bosses used labour immigration as a way of paying less and squeezing conditions.

At times, I found the remain campaign and plenty of those who were vocal about staying as snooty and condescending, and not at all interested in trying to understand that people from traditional industrial areas were the losers in almost every respect.

The irony is that the white middle class generally stick with their own, because they can and they have options. The working classes have integrated for centuries, due to economic immigration into these areas, and generally, different cultures have rubbed along pretty well.

These people voted out because governments of both colours sold off manufacturing and heavy industry, didn't replace it with real jobs, unions became weak after legislation was passed by the Tories and new labour, and the EU, run by bankers and bosses did their level best to implement policy that was designed to look after the bosses, not the workers.
    Agree 100%.

The slandering of all leave voters repulsed me, and as someone who was 50/50 at the start was a significant factor in turning me away from the remain campaign.

Anyway, on HGV drivers, we need a long term fix. Realign the economy so that those society relies upon get a fairer slice of the cake.

Need to hold our nerve IMO.

I work for a large supermarket chain as a warehouseman. I’m in my early 50s and am being trained on a class 1 course (already have class 2), paid for by my employers. Others where I work are also being trained up.
    It’s strange, as they not only can’t get enough drivers, but are also struggling big time for warehouse staff.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    When you’re in charge of a massive vehicle with huge hazards and long hours in a job you do need to concentrate on I don’t think the finger should be pointed as ‘hoops’

Look at the difference to train and tube drivers and they haven’t got other idiotic road users to deal with

They need plenty of training but it should be free
    I think you misunderstood my reference to hoops, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I think you misunderstood my reference to hoops, old fruit.
    Sorry I didn't realise you were referring to Brexit

I assume the migration here was a economic decision for most. I think that if that was sorted by higher wages than on the continent many would

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Sorry I didn't realise you were referring to Brexit
    No harm done. Give us a smile and carry on

something which seems to have escaped under everyone radar is the IR35 off payroll which came into effect In April this year by this hopeless government

Many HGV drivers left when this was introduced not just confined to HGV drivers but many other sectors too

a cross functional think tank told the government and warned them what would happen and lo and behold its playing out in front of our eyes . a shortage of key staff all over the UK .HGV drivers being a perfect example where the new IR35 legislation is no good which offers no flexibility especially if your working away from home .HGV drivers lost thousands of pounds when this was introduced

Agree 100%.

The slandering of all leave voters repulsed me, and as someone who was 50/50 at the start was a significant factor in turning me away from the remain campaign.

Anyway, on HGV drivers, we need a long term fix. Realign the economy so that those society relies upon get a fairer slice of the cake.

Need to hold our nerve IMO.
    The jobs at risk of being weren't the social media managers, the estate agents, the civil servants.

It was the poorest that were adversely affected and the better off that were benefitting from immigration

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    something which seems to have escaped under everyone radar is the IR35 off payroll which came into effect In April this year by this hopeless government

Many HGV drivers left when this was introduced not just confined to HGV drivers but many other sectors too

a cross functional think tank told the government and warned them what would happen and lo and behold its playing out in front of our eyes . a shortage of key staff all over the UK .HGV drivers being a perfect example where the new IR35 legislation is no good which offers no flexibility especially if your working away from home .HGV drivers lost thousands of pounds when this was introduced
    IR35 is a nightmare in general

No you didn't. Any economic changes take a long time to come through.
    And sadly 52% wanted some pain and misery inflicted on us all.