+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: HGV Driver Shortages

Re: HGV Driver Shortages

I have all the licences. HGV and PCV. Companies, work friends, lots of people have been phoning me. How much do I want? £100, £200, £300, name your price. Am I going to do it? No.

The days of me driving all over the country, sleeping in the cab, nowhere to park, toilet is a field or the back of an industrial estate, stuck in traffic on some motorway somewhere and VOSA waiting around the corner because you've gone 5 minutes over your tacho - those days are over.

In any other occupation, if you were required to drive all day to some place far away you would probably be offered food and accommodation. Truck and coach drivers rarely get anything.

My licence expires in April 2022 and my CPC in 2024. I am not wasting any more money on CPC and I doubt if I will bother with the medical next year.

Quote Originally Posted by celever View Post
    I have all the licences. HGV and PCV. Companies, work friends, lots of people have been phoning me. How much do I want? £100, £200, £300, name your price. Am I going to do it? No.

The days of me driving all over the country, sleeping in the cab, nowhere to park, toilet is a field or the back of an industrial estate, stuck in traffic on some motorway somewhere and VOSA waiting around the corner because you've gone 5 minutes over your tacho - those days are over.

In any other occupation, if you were required to drive all day to some place far away you would probably be offered food and accommodation. Truck and coach drivers rarely get anything.

My licence expires in April 2022 and my CPC in 2024. I am not wasting any more money on CPC and I doubt if I will bother with the medical next year.
    Thanks for an interesting read - welcome to the forum

Sadly, I am also old enough to remember what life was like before we joined the EEC/EU.

We had fruit and veg that was in season. The chip shops put a piece of paper in the window 'now frying new potatoes'. Everything had a time and place. Strawberries in the summer and sprouts at Christmas. Over the last few decades we have become used to being able to buy everything all year round.

If you wanted a decent pasty, you went down Coombes' shop. Was it in Broadway or Clifton Street, I can't remember. Now the pasties are made in a mega-factory in Plymouth and a fleet of trucks transport them all over the country.

My local village pub will run out of beer tomorrow. The beer comes by truck from mega-breweries in Burton. Again a fleet of trucks.

We are heading into a new era. Global warming, too many emissions. I see a return to a more local, less polluting economy is approaching.

Quote Originally Posted by celever View Post
    Sadly, I am also old enough to remember what life was like before we joined the EEC/EU.

We had fruit and veg that was in season. The chip shops put a piece of paper in the window 'now frying new potatoes'. Everything had a time and place. Strawberries in the summer and sprouts at Christmas. Over the last few decades we have become used to being able to buy everything all year round.

If you wanted a decent pasty, you went down Coombes' shop. Was it in Broadway or Clifton Street, I can't remember. Now the pasties are made in a mega-factory in Plymouth and a fleet of trucks transport them all over the country.

My local village pub will run out of beer tomorrow. The beer comes by truck from mega-breweries in Burton. Again a fleet of trucks.

We are heading into a new era. Global warming, too many emissions. I see a return to a more local, less polluting economy is approaching.
    You reminded me there that, although I like them now, new potatoes were a reason to dread the summer when I was a kid because my mum was so restricted in what she could do with them and we had to wait until it got colder and wetter before we could have proper chips, roasters and mash.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    Well the poor of Eastern Europe came here to better their lives and I'm OK with that.
    Glad to Hear it.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What a mess.

Is recruiting from Europe the answer.?
    Bring in the Army ... and ensure they are paid for both roles?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    In the coming years, I would anticipate:
    Rising wages
    Greater housing affordability
    Greater infiltration and engagement with faster growing global economies
    GDP to rise slightly faster than typical in the previous years
    Lower unemployment than in the last 10-20 years
    Greater emphasis on manufacturing
    A more dynamic R&D sector
    Greater investment in public services.
    A more interventionist form of economic management
    A more dynamic, agile and faster moving govt
    Greater investments in workplace training, apprenticeships etc

Ultimately we have left a club that contains Germany, France, Spain, Italy et al and joined one that contains South Korea, Japan, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland et al.

In or out of the EU will make far less positive or negative impact than people think, as the foundations of a strong economy are rooted in other issues, but on balance I think Britain will do better and I do think society and the economy will be fairer and more balanced.
    Wow - that's a wonderful wishlist. 'Sunlit uplands' indeed.

Doesn't answer the question you were asked though. Also, with the right governance and policies we could have had most of those things AND the huge benefits of EU membership and trade.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Ultimately we have left a club that contains Germany, France, Spain, Italy et al and joined one that contains South Korea, Japan, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland et al.

In or out of the EU will make far less positive or negative impact than people think, as the foundations of a strong economy are rooted in other issues, but on balance I think Britain will do better and I do think society and the economy will be fairer and more balanced.
    You do realise that the Swiss people voted to effectively stay in the single market?