+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thirty years since the Ely riots.

Thirty years since the Ely riots.

Re: Thirty years since the Ely riots.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wilson Road used to be run down and Snowden Road but people are people , friend of mine was a health visitor in Ely and had to deal with all sorts of stuff but loved working there

Maybe Ely posters on here remember things but there was rumours a lot of people from all over cardiff came to Ely just to confront the police and had no links to the area

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Wilson Road used to be run down and Snowden Road but people are people , friend of mine was a health visitor in Ely and had to deal with all sorts of stuff but loved working there

Maybe Ely posters on here remember things but there was rumours a lot of people from all over cardiff came to Ely just to confront the police and had no links to the area

I can confirm that is correct Sludge

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I can confirm that is correct Sludge
    Great chippy on wilson Rd many years ago , Mr chips ?

Great chippy on wilson Rd many years ago , Mr chips ?
    I think that it's changed it's name now, but that was very recent. Wilson rd is great, all the mums congregate there and drink coffee, bought from Williams Butchers. They block the pavement and slag everyone off in between having proper Cardiff Banter. Luvs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think that it's changed it's name now, but that was very recent. Wilson rd is great, all the mums congregate there and drink coffee, bought from Williams Butchers. They block the pavement and slag everyone off in between having proper Cardiff Banter. Luvs it.
    The butcher sells coffee ?

That's a bit odd

First Team

Out of curiosity anyone know how many years since the Trumpton riots?

I can't really remember much about the Ely riots. I guess there wasn't cable and all-day news back then. But I was only a couple of miles away in Canton. Weren't riots going on all over the country?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can't really remember much about the Ely riots. I guess there wasn't cable and all-day news back then. But I was only a couple of miles away in Canton. Weren't riots going on all over the country?
    I think they were late summer that year.

Ely , Oxford , Bristol , Newcastle , late summer

Good book on it called Goliath by Beatrix Campbell

The butcher sells coffee ?

That's a bit odd
    Yup, only a quid as well.

Yup, only a quid as well.
    I will get some minced beef and pick up a java

I will get some minced beef and pick up a java
    If you asked for a Java in Ely, they'd think it was a character from Star Wars. The place is great. Plenty of poverty, but still a solid community and the people are different, i don't care what anyone says. I gave a bloke half a tube of clear silicone the other day, we're mates for life now. As it should be! Severe lack of resources up there, but like i said, overall, the people are really friendly and giving.

If you asked for a Java in Ely, they'd think it was a character from Star Wars. The place is great. Plenty of poverty, but still a solid community and the people are different, i don't care what anyone says. I gave a bloke half a tube of clear silicone the other day, we're mates for life now. As it should be! Severe lack of resources up there, but like i said, overall, the people are really friendly and giving.
    That's like the valleys, people have **** all but give you all they have..

Something in my head says the date isn't correct, but I reckon I'm thinking about earlier riots in Cardiff, and around the country. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Would have been around 1980 or 81?

It was a pretty crap riot tbh, Ely didn't want to be left out so it ended up a copycat that followed other UK cities.
    I think they burnt out an old Allegro. Respect!
    How they could make a documentary about that shitshow is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    It was a pretty crap riot tbh, Ely didn't want to be left out so it ended up a copycat that followed other UK cities.

As I said, I don't remember much, but that sounds about right to me.

That's completely incorrect

Ely was one of the first disturbances that late summer followed by bigger riots in hartcliffe Bristol and West end Newcastle

The exact opposite of Ely copying other places

Goliath the book will inform you properly

As I said, I don't remember much, but that sounds about right to me.
    It's not right at all

It's not right at all
    Foggy memory by me then, I do recall it was pretty tame by London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool standards. I do know that because I was working in Ely at the time.

Foggy memory by me then, I do recall it was pretty tame by London, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool standards. I do know that because I was working in Ely at the time.
    I was about 10/11 at the time. My old man was working the riots. Never really said much about it - other than a petrol bomb landed at his feet and frightened the life out of him.

i was there when jm took the pic for the rag, and they also made a short documentary aswell which may air sometime soon... not read the script as yet but will do now

Petrol bombs were thrown , bricks were thrown , missiles, a car was stolen and driven at riot police

It wasn't Broadwater farm but it was a riot

The disturbances started at night , it was quiet during the day , people were drinking then

I worked as a Chippy in Ely, some decent people, but lets not paint them all as saints, some would rob you without a 2nd thought, I know my council van was always a target, could never leave anything of any value on the front seats ( the side window would be done and it gone ) never put down a tool, blink and its gone, had my van stereo done twice in a few weeks, after the 2nd time I was offered the 1st one for 20 quid ended up fitting it behind the drivers seat in my shelving unit so it was out of sight

but then again, similar to other council estates ive worked, Gibby in Barry, Billy Banks in Penarth to name 2 that ive worked on the most