+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thirty years since the Ely riots.

Re: Thirty years since the Ely riots.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I worked as a Chippy in Ely, some decent people, but lets not paint them all as saints, some would rob you without a 2nd thought, I know my council van was always a target, could never leave anything of any value on the front seats ( the side window would be done and it gone ) never put down a tool, blink and its gone, had my van stereo done twice in a few weeks, after the 2nd time I was offered the 1st one for 20 quid ended up fitting it behind the drivers seat in my shelving unit so it was out of sight

but then again, similar to other council estates ive worked, Gibby in Barry, Billy Banks in Penarth to name 2 that ive worked on the most
    Revenge for voting for a party that keeps people poor

I lived in Ely at the time. You could hardly call them riots. A few hairy moments, but most of the time it was just a stand off between the locals and the fuzz.

I worked as a Chippy in Ely, some decent people, but lets not paint them all as saints, some would rob you without a 2nd thought, I know my council van was always a target, could never leave anything of any value on the front seats ( the side window would be done and it gone ) never put down a tool, blink and its gone, had my van stereo done twice in a few weeks, after the 2nd time I was offered the 1st one for 20 quid ended up fitting it behind the drivers seat in my shelving unit so it was out of sight

but then again, similar to other council estates ive worked, Gibby in Barry, Billy Banks in Penarth to name 2 that ive worked on the most
    I used to work with a bloke who lived in Ely. He was English. He had to stop going to visit his family because every time he left town his house got robbed. He knew it was his neighbors, but there was nothing he could do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I used to work with a bloke who lived in Ely. He was English. He had to stop going to visit his family because every time he left town his house got robbed. He knew it was his neighbors, but there was nothing he could do about it.
    I've been up there pretty much every day of my working life for the past three years, in a van. I've not had one problem, no thefts, no tools stolen, no abuse, apart from a bit of nonsense from the odd Tennant. Neither have any of the blokes by that I work with, if they have, they haven't said so. I also did 18 months up there between 1989 and 1991, again, no problems whatsoever. I must be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I've been up there pretty much every day of my working life for the past three years, in a van. I've not had one problem, no thefts, no tools stolen, no abuse, apart from a bit of nonsense from the odd Tennant. Neither have any of the blokes by that I work with, if they have, they haven't said so. I also did 18 months up there between 1989 and 1991, again, no problems whatsoever. I must be lucky.
    Most of the VOG council building team had stuff nicked over the years I was working for that council, Billy Banks was a " no-go " for some, Personally, I was ok on the estate myself and my work mate were seen having a few Bevvies on a Friday afternoon by one the estates lads, he thought we were crazy having a beer in the council van at lunch, it meant we were accepted on the estate, we then helped the guys mum out by fitting all new worktop in the whole kitchen instead of just one bit that the work order was for, many guys wouldn't even go on the estate, radio rentals wouldn't deliver to billy banks as the vans we robbed al the time

I also know a well know city lad / fan who worked for Cardiff council and he had the back of his truck emptied while he was in Ely, they took a Mixer and his tool box, the Mixer was chained to a lockdown point on the back ( this was early 90's if that makes any difference ), he asked around and it was back on his truck while he ate lunch

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Revenge for voting for a party that keeps people poor
    good job shortly after the Ely riots a party got in for 13 years and made the poor richer

good job shortly after the Ely riots a party got in for 13 years and made the poor richer
    Blair got in 1997

6 years after the riots

He was a Tory in a red suit

Most of the VOG council building team had stuff nicked over the years I was working for that council, Billy Banks was a " no-go " for some, Personally, I was ok on the estate myself and my work mate were seen having a few Bevvies on a Friday afternoon by one the estates lads, he thought we were crazy having a beer in the council van at lunch, it meant we were accepted on the estate, we then helped the guys mum out by fitting all new worktop in the whole kitchen instead of just one bit that the work order was for, many guys wouldn't even go on the estate, radio rentals wouldn't deliver to billy banks as the vans we robbed al the time

I also know a well know city lad / fan who worked for Cardiff council and he had the back of his truck emptied while he was in Ely, they took a Mixer and his tool box, the Mixer was chained to a lockdown point on the back ( this was early 90's if that makes any difference ), he asked around and it was back on his truck while he ate lunch
    I do the gypsy camps as well, fitting out the washing and shower cubicles. Never an issue, good as gold. The biggest obstacle are the jack Russell terriers who seem to think that they're 8ft tall and on steroids. I try not to pre judge, treat people with respect, and it seems to work pretty well, either that, or people make shit up. The biggest ***** I've ever worked for are those with plenty of money and landlords, ****ing charlatans and thieves.