Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
You don't think captain should take some responsibility for such a demoralising and embarrassing loss?

It is not simply about just picking a team.
The form of the players, realising their strengths and weaknesses.
He should get inside knowledge of the course and the backroom staff, who I am sure there are many of, getting the players as prepared as they can be.

It was not only the amount of points they lost by, it was the manner of how they lost them.
Very few went down the eighteenth faiway.

The only saving grace is that covid probably played a significant part in some of the prep and would no doubt have been to the advantage of the American team.
However, in years to come, PH will be remembered as the captain who lost the Ryder Cup by a record score.
I don't happen to think that he was just unlucky.
What is it with some on here that they assume they know what you mean with no facts to go on??

I never said he didn't bear any responsibility, of course he did. And there will obviously be an inquest into the rout.

You just said he was shocking without any further explanation so I replied in the same way

When you say pick a team, that is part of the problem, he doesn't pick 3/4 of the team And those he did pick at least partially justified their choice. Garcia and Lowry on the first two days, and Poulter on the last day. USA picked 6 and Paul McGinley yesterday suggested that the European team captain should in future pick more of the team. Harrington went down from 4 to 3 picks which as it turned out was probably a mistake as he could then have picked Justin Rose, although in a defeat this size I doubt if it would have made that much difference

And how do you know he didn't have a detailed knowledge of the course or didn't prepare the players as much as possible.

How do you cater for the fact that on the last day when it mattered most the three players who had probably done the worst in the foursomes and fourballs based on their experience in the Cup (McIlroy, Poulter and Westwood) rose to the occasion magnificently but the ones who had played pretty well in the first two days (Garcia, Rahm and to an extent Lowry and Hatton) all failed pretty miserably.

And that Casey, although he played well at times would lose all four he played.

The Americans played like a team for the first time in years. The lack of team spirit has often nullified the USA's superior fire power. This time it complemented it.