+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: BT hub v Sky?

BT hub v Sky?

Thinking of switching to BT, never used them before for BB or TV.
    Does BT connect through a TV aerial? Or app? No need for wired boxes ?

Re: BT hub v Sky?

BT is awful.

As is sky.

Both of them can't cover a 3 bedroom terraced property, don't listen to their promises.

We are ok with sky at mo….£75 a month, BT offering the same for £45….hhhmmmm

I've been with BT for many years. Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We are ok with sky at mo….£75 a month, BT offering the same for £45….hhhmmmm
    120 a month with virgin all chanels and 200mb Internet. Didn't use the TV. Now have just their Internet 1TB for 40 quid a month and use firestick for the bits of TV I watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Had it on a 24 month contract or 18 possibly.. Live in the valleys in a terraced house its hardly a castle.. Internet wouldn't reach a few spots upstairs which is ridiculous considering what they promise.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    what’s the Tv box like, you use an app or something to connect to other TVs around the house?

what’s the Tv box like, you use an app or something to connect to other TVs around the house?
    Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Awful.
    Shit the wife won’t be happy about this….she’s the only one who watches sky

BT is awful.

As is sky.

Both of them can't cover a 3 bedroom terraced property, don't listen to their promises.
    That must be wrong. Sky now do a more powerful modem and have boosters. I have a modem, two miniboxes plus two boosters. I have a 5 bedroom bungalow covering over 2600 sq ft and the furthest TV room from the modem is around 75ft. Unless you live in a mansion you will get a Sky signal for the TV and computer etc.

Shit the wife won’t be happy about this….she’s the only one who watches sky
    Remote is clunky and unresponsive its really bad imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That must be wrong. Sky now do a more powerful modem and have boosters. I have a modem, two miniboxes plus two boosters. I have a 5 bedroom bungalow covering over 2600 sq ft and the furthest TV room from the modem is around 75ft. Unless you live in a mansion you will get a Sky signal for the TV and computer etc.
    Why must it be wrong? When I had sky and bt they never reached the full house. I've had virgin about 2 years now.

Why would I need a booster in a small property? Their (bt sky) broadband is excellent, high speed etc.

Got virgin and problem solved, box in the same place reaches all rooms, the garden and out front can use it sitting in the car (as my sister often does in between jobs if she's low on data)
    Now have the faster virgin Internet and it's stupidly good. BT are expensive for what they offer.

Remote is clunky and unresponsive its really bad imo.
    Bollocks I’m in the doo do

Why must it be wrong? When I had sky and bt they never reached the full house. I've had virgin about 2 years now.

Why would I need a booster in a small property? Their (bt sky) broadband is excellent, high speed etc.

Got virgin and problem solved, box in the same place reaches all rooms, the garden and out front can use it sitting in the car (as my sister often does in between jobs if she's low on data)
    Now have the faster virgin Internet and it's stupidly good. BT are expensive for what they offer.
    I’m waiting for the callback off sky anyway to beg us to stay, don’t know if they bother still?
    A student let I have uses TalkTalk for BB, it’s been rubbish for ages, keeps dropping out and they all moan to me. I ditched them for BT this week after they refused to give me boosters that were £75 each. Low and behold TalkTalk ring me back offering me 2 free boosters, their new modem and a few quid off…..

I’m waiting for the callback off sky anyway to beg us to stay, don’t know if they bother still?
    A student let I have uses TalkTalk for BB, it’s been rubbish for ages, keeps dropping out and they all moan to me. I ditched them for BT this week after they refused to give me boosters that were £75 each. Low and behold TalkTalk ring me back offering me 2 free boosters, their new modem and a few quid off…..
    My ex missus had TT apparently its improved but she didn't have the patience for the Indian call centres, she was always without Internet. The boosters that companies offer now are obviously a plus point so it may work out for you.

As for sky, this was a few years back but I owed 2 months at the end of my deal so could have left with the debt owing but the lovely lady on the phone one Saturday afternoon listened to my woes and I ended up getting the 2 months wiped and a new deal with half price sports and movies for a quid.

By your own admission you failed to get a satisfactory signal from Sky in a small property whereas I get a great signal from a large property. Perhaps you failed to get a decent signal some while ago and all I was suggesting is things may have been improved in recent times. Probably I should have said "strange" rather than "wrong" as I wasn't intending to doubt your word even though my post indicates that.

I doubt whether you would need a booster in a small property. I said I needed to boost my signal but that's hardly surprising given the distance between my modem and TV in one of the bedrooms.

I can't comment on Virgin as I don't own it. I had a bad experience with Virgin once when I tried to cancel my mother's Virgin account when her property was sold but that's another story.

By your own admission you failed to get a satisfactory signal from Sky in a small property whereas I get a great signal from a large property. Perhaps you failed to get a decent signal some whole ago and all I was suggesting is things may have been improved in recent times. Probably I should have said "strange" rather than "wrong" as I wasn't intending to doubt your word even though my post indicates that.

I doubt whether you would need a booster in a small property. I said I needed to boost my signal but that's hardly surprising given the distance between my modem and TV in one of the bedrooms.

I can't comment on Virgin as I don't own it. I had a bad experience with Virgin once when I tried to cancel my mother's Virgin account when her property was sold but that's another story.
    I had virgin after sky, was still having issues with sky so swapped. The day I plugged it all in, days after having issues with sky, virgin covered the whole house. We are talking the same time period. Yes boxed are better years on but this was all at the same time.

Plenty of people in smaller houses use boosters, I know friends and family that have to because the signal gets weaker around the house.

By your own admission you failed to get a satisfactory signal from Sky in a small property whereas I get a great signal from a large property. Perhaps you failed to get a decent signal some while ago and all I was suggesting is things may have been improved in recent times. Probably I should have said "strange" rather than "wrong" as I wasn't intending to doubt your word even though my post indicates that.

The student let I have in Treforest is tiny, the modem must be less than 5 meters from the 3 upstairs bedrooms yet it struggles to get through the old walls….so unless you plug boosters in it barely works. Same for another bigger house I let in Heath, needs two virgin boosters upstairs

The student let I have in Treforest is tiny, the modem must be less than 5 meters from the 3 upstairs bedrooms yet it struggles to get through the old walls….so unless you plug boosters in it barely works. Same for another bigger house I let in Heath, needs two virgin boosters upstairs
    We can't surely be right. He's got a big house don't you know.

Been with BT for 5 years and it’s been really good. BB works fine and the tv package is much cheaper than sky. Currently paying £36 a month for both BB and TV, including BT sport

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Been with BT for 5 years and it’s been really good. BB works fine and the tv package is much cheaper than sky. Currently paying £36 a month for both BB and TV, including BT sport
    That’s good….I’m not fussed really as watch hardly any live Tv, mainly flix or Amazon, got Disney too. The broadband is the thing I’m most fussed about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Like Grange, I've been with BT for years with BB and TV, never a problem, great value.

Been with BT the last few years after previously being with Sky.
    I find the BT box ok and have had no major issues. The only issue I’ve had with it is the freeview channels are from the TV aerial connection. I live in Caerphilly and the aerial is pointed towards Machen. Get some buffering on occasions.
    BT box also has a number of apps,(Netflix, Prime, Nowtv etc). Not bad in fairness for the price.