+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff rated as the UK's least safe city by residents

Cardiff rated as the UK's least safe city by residents

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...ealed-21671688

Cardiff is deemed one of the least safe cities in the UK due to an increase in knife crime, murders, vandalism and car theft, according to people living there.

Re: Cardiff rated as the UK's least safe city by residents

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Cardiff is deemed one of the least safe cities in the UK due to an increase in knife crime, murders, vandalism and car theft, according to people living there.
    Well I would humbly suggest that that's probably bollocks.

A staggering 38 percent of adults living in Cardiff don’t feel safe at all on the streets at night, while another 31 percent worry about their safety even during the daytime.

Where are this 31% spending their time?!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

A staggering 38 percent of adults living in Cardiff don’t feel safe at all on the streets at night, while another 31 percent worry about their safety even during the daytime.

You haven't noticed an increase in violent crime recently? There's been hardly any trouble where I live for years and years, but in the last 12 months there have been several muggings at the local shops and a stabbing.

You haven't noticed an increase in violent crime recently? There's been hardly any trouble where I live for years and years, but in the last 12 months there have been several muggings at the local shops and a stabbing.
    Yes I think crime has gone up but I think Cardiff being the UK's least safe city difficult to believe, and I'm genuinely curious about the 31% who feel unsafe walking about in daytime

Cardiff must have changed an awful lot since I moved from there three and a half years ago. A total sample of 2,000 is quite big, but then you have to consider how many of them are from Cardiff and, although thirty eight and thirty one per cent are somewhat eye catching, we’re probably talking about numbers that are in the two figures range.

2000 people across 15 cities means only 133 per city. Too small to draw any firm conclusions really but it's not good.

You do sense that tackling crime and anti social behaviour etc has somewhat dropped off the priority list for city leaders in recent years

that's a really strange result.
    I would have said it was amongst the safest cities in the UK.
    most other large UK cities have some areas I really wouldn't feel safe in

Cardiff is as " Safe" as f uck!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

I can’t think of anywhere in cardiff that feels properly unsafe at night let alone the day. It’s not got places like Easton or St. Paul’s in Bristol, parts of brum, Manchester and London are no go. What’s the worst part of cardiff at night? Clifton street? City rd? Bute street?
    Riverside? Nothings that bad

"One of". One of how many? 50? 100? It certainly wouldn't make the top 5. Or even the top 10.

That's nonsense I would suggest Nottingham is more dangerous

International

I would also be interested to know the age range and the area of the city that the people who feel so unsafe live in.
    Yes Minister gave us a perfect example of how you can rig any poll to get the answer you want.

I'm not surprised with 200 dangerous crimes a month in city road alone.

Born here and lived here all my life.
    They never asked me - never once felt unsafe here.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I can’t think of anywhere in cardiff that feels properly unsafe at night let alone the day. It’s not got places like Easton or St. Paul’s in Bristol, parts of brum, Manchester and London are no go. What’s the worst part of cardiff at night? Clifton street? City rd? Bute street?
    Riverside? Nothings that bad
    Lawrence Hill and Stapleton Road are lovely areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    That's nonsense I would suggest Nottingham is more dangerous
    Was about to say I feel a lot safer walking around at night in Cardiff than I did when I lived in Nottingham

There’s basically only one gang in cardiff, based in the south around grangetown. Nothing compared to the London gangs who they no doubt try to emulate. They carry blades and are trying to create a reputation but there isn’t that many of them and no doubt most of them will end up behind the door soon, if they haven’t already. I don’t find grangetown scary and never have, I’m sure most people feel safe walking around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    2000 people across 15 cities means only 133 per city. Too small to draw any firm conclusions really but it's not good.

You do sense that tackling crime and anti social behaviour etc has somewhat dropped off the priority list for city leaders in recent years
    Has it?

Any evidence?