+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

Re: Next Manager

Would be surprised if Wilder came anywhere near us but would be the best we can hope for I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jord1927 View Post
    Chris wilder would be my choice he was willing to speak to Forest who are as much of a basket case as us but the committee will get a hoofball manager no other club would touch so expect Tony Pulis
    Yes Chris Wilder for me too. Very successful with both Northamton and Sheffield Utd. Best manager who might come here out there.

Steve Morrison if we go down the inexperienced route. How's Gareth Ainsworth doing these days?

I'm bored of Cockneys and Yorkshireman.

They always seem to be trying to project an image of hyper-masculine invincibility .

Like they are the leaders in some sort of medieval battle to the death.

Pearson and Dyche are another two (midlanders). Although Pearson seems to have wound his neck in a bit after his brush with Covid.

.........don't mind geordies, scousers and west-country people. Cumbrians are ok too.

We should probably be jumping on the next wave of top french or dutch managers....they seem to be due a golden era in shit hot football managers.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Would be surprised if Wilder came anywhere near us but would be the best we can hope for I think.
    I will be a bit surprised if Mick McCarthy is shown the door. We are in a hole at the moment, but I expect him to be able to ensure safety and a season of youth experience on very little expenditure. I can't see a Top 6 push with the form of the team at the moment, but I don't fear relegation either. I didn't want Mick as manager (although like him as a person and a pundit) but he is no mug and I don't think he is as one dimensional as some are now saying.

However if he does go I can see no reason why the likes of Chris Wilder would not be interested in the job. There a handful of unemployed managers out there who hope and expect to walk into a Premier League, cash-rich Championship (parachute club) or Big Firm job. Most will be disappointed. The rest will be desperate for a club - and Cardiff despite the current austerity and youth strategy is a very attractive club. We have a solid and passionate fan base with room to grow, great facilities, and increasingly effective Academy, seem to be financially stable - albeit dependent on an owner who has continued to subsidise the club through thick and thin, a big modern stadium and a recent history of success.

I'm not sure Wilder is the answer if Mick departs, but I have no doubt he would like the chance. Unlike some he seems to be grounded and self-confident, and has done the hard yards in the lower leagues before his big success getting Sheff Utd to the top. Cardiff is an opportunity for someone like him (if not him).

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Steve morison 100%
    the u23s play a lovely brand of football, and with so many of them coming into the first team he will at least know them well.
    Do you think the first team would "play a lovely brand of football" if Steve Morison took over?

Why would it surprise you? He's talked to Forest hasn't he? He was in league 1 with Sheff Utd, it's not like we'd be poaching an established top flight manager.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why would it surprise you? He's talked to Forest hasn't he? He was in league 1 with Sheff Utd, it's not like we'd be poaching an established top flight manager.
    Just think he'd be looking for a club with a bit more ambition than us. Forest are a bigger club, sounds like he had a chat with them and walked away due to a lack of transfer budget/wage budget as well. I think it'd be even worse here. Not saying it's impossible but it'd surprise me.

But I agree with the above poster that it'll have to get really bad for Mick to get the sack, maybe lose the next 3 culminating with a defeat at the jacks and starting to fall close to the relegation zone. I think WBA and Reading are both teams we'll do ok against though in terms of style so probably win one of the two this week and he won't come under much pressure whilst we're 14th.

Knowing our luck, it’ll be Ian Holloway

Just think he'd be looking for a club with a bit more ambition than us. Forest are a bigger club, sounds like he had a chat with them and walked away due to a lack of transfer budget/wage budget as well. I think it'd be even worse here. Not saying it's impossible but it'd surprise me.

But I agree with the above poster that it'll have to get really bad for Mick to get the sack, maybe lose the next 3 culminating with a defeat at the jacks and starting to fall close to the relegation zone. I think WBA and Reading are both teams we'll do ok against though in terms of style so probably win one of the two this week and he won't come under much pressure whilst we're 14th.
    How are Forest a bigger club than us? They've not played in the Premier League for over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Sadly it could be worse than him

When was the last time big boys forest finished above us?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Personally think he was the right manager at the time

Imagine giving a football playing manager this squad - we would have sank like a stone.

He is doing crap but what is required. Bring through youth and allow the transition from our older players and ensure we stay in the league
    Surely what we have can be slowly blended into a decent football team? We have a few players who are comfortable in the ball and players like Morrison and Moore who can do a job. I’d rather implement change and finish 18th than trudge along watching guff and finishing the standard 8-10th as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He loves us too, I love his accent.

Wilder had a pretty blank canvas to work with when he started at Sheffield Utd. They were very impressive in winning promotion to the Championship and managed to keep that momentum. I recall us beating them 2-0 at home when we won promotion but thought they were a very good side. They should have smashed us off the park when Pilks got a last gasp equaliser up there.

Things didn't work in their second season in the top flight for whatever reason.

He could be the man next season as long as we have a much needed clearout and he's left to his own thing, not being told what to do by the transfer committee.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Do you think the first team would "play a lovely brand of football" if Steve Morison took over?
    not on day one presumably, but eventually, yes

You would hope he would try and get the best out of some of the youth players who need to come up with MM stripping the squad of any pace and Wingers.
    Until. January it makes sense to me.

It's been commented the U23s play very differently to the first team.

Let's not pretend it wouldn't be a huge risk, but until January I think a risk worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    You would hope he would try and get the best out of some of the youth players who need to come up with MM stripping the squad of any pace and Wingers.

Let's not pretend it wouldn't be a huge risk, but until January I think a risk worth taking.
    I don't think we are in the position we need to make a change that quickly.

Has anyone commenting got their UEFA coaching badges? I believe we need them now to have opinions on here.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Surely what we have can be slowly blended into a decent football team? We have a few players who are comfortable in the ball and players like Morrison and Moore who can do a job. I’d rather implement change and finish 18th than trudge along watching guff and finishing the standard 8-10th as ever.
    I agree. Anyway i'm sure pro footballers can adapt to passing a ball to a fellow player on the floor

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I agree. Anyway i'm sure pro footballers can adapt to passing a ball to a fellow player on the floor
    Ours look uncomfortable in possession

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post

The Under-23s also play against very different opposition to the first team.

Why do you love shooting people down?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Why do you love shooting people down?
    I'm a realist.

Of course and that's why I said it would be a huge risk. In an ideal world the youth teams and the first team would play a similar way which would make the transition easier for the youth players. I guess that's why a lot of big clubs bring in former players who know the style of the club.