+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

Re: Next Manager

Quote Originally Posted by aclem View Post
    Bamba ?
    Genuine question: What has Bamba ever done to make you think he would be a good manager?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Steve Morrison and Bellers .
    Would be right behind you on Morrison.

If we keep appointing the same type of manager - Hughton, Pulis… - we’re never going to break the cycle. Take a chance.

His coaching career has started well and let’s not forget he made more than 600 league appearances as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    He loves us too, I love his accent.
    Unpopular opinion on a Cardiff City messageboard.

Let's play pretty football all the way down to League 1. Would fans appreciate that? Of course not. Any new manager inheriting our squad would find it impossible to last in the job for more than a few weeks if we kept losing trying to play attractive so talking about a new manager at this stage is a waste of oxygen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Let's play pretty football all the way down to League 1. Would fans appreciate that? Of course not. Any new manager inheriting our squad would find it impossible to last in the job for more than a few weeks if we kept losing trying to play attractive so talking about a new manager at this stage is a waste of oxygen.
    Yes, because the current football is seeing great success...

If the three wise men don’t sack MM soon we’ll be in league one next season

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    If the three wise men don’t sack MM soon we’ll be in league one next season
    we aren't going down this season

25/1 for relegation on oddschecker
    I’d hate to think so
    With Mickey Square Holes at the helm I certainly wouldn’t bet against it
    We’ll lose tonight
    Reading at 7/2 on Saturday is worth a cheeky tenner then god forbid a loss to the jacks in a few weeks and then look at the relegation odds 🤔😞😞😞😞

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I'm a realist.
    In your opinion.

BIG SAM is available

I was going to say “free”, but he’s definitely not free

Your post kind of falls down as soon as you say " Pretty Football" Like it's a cosmetic concept for the pretentious and work shy ( Apologies if I've read that incorrectly) firstly, nobody is asking for a revolution, just a meandering change from the utter dirge we are witnessing at the moment.

The style we play is cowardly and we are in no way, prepared to take on the opposition. The brave managers, coaches and players, are the ones who are attempting to play the right way, in a style that is sustainable in so many different ways. Recruitment, development, long term progress, selling players on at a profit.

We rarely improve a player, none of our managers go on to better things, and our success is short lived. That's because of the way we play.

The way we play is easy, effortless, it's a cowards way out. Players not allowed to get on the ball and test themselves, as they would have been encouraged and taught to do as youngsters.

The passing and movement style of play is much more difficult to master than the way we play. Other clubs are brave, our club is shit house.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Your post kind of falls down as soon as you say " Pretty Football" Like it's a cosmetic concept for the pretentious and work shy ( Apologies if I've read that incorrectly) firstly, nobody is asking for a revolution, just a meandering change from the utter dirge we are witnessing at the moment.

The style we play is cowardly and we are in no way, prepared to take on the opposition. The brave managers, coaches and players, are the ones who are attempting to play the right way, in a style that is sustainable in so many different ways. Recruitment, development, long term progress, selling players on at a profit.

We rarely improve a player, none of our managers go on to better things, and our success is short lived. That's because of the way we play.

The way we play is easy, effortless, it's a cowards way out. Players not allowed to get on the ball and test themselves, as they would have been encouraged and taught to do as youngsters.

The passing and movement style of play is much more difficult to master than the way we play. Other clubs are brave, our club is shit house.
    Good post.

Thanks. I agree with much of your post but the issue raised in my second sentence makes the point that any new manager would find it difficult to convert our bunch of hoofers into a team that can play in a less agricultural way.

Basically the club is in a mess and frankly the problems seem to go much deeper than appointing a new manager. There is such shortism in football that any incumbent would end up making the best of what he has inherited meaning the same old same old tactics would be used assuming a new manager is concerned about continuing in his job. Isn't that what McCarthy has done and Harris before him?

All I know is that the owner must be so frustrated at having sunk around £150m into the club which ended up with a team serving up utter garbage week in and week out.

Thanks. I agree with much of your post but the issue raised in my second sentence makes the point that any new manager would find it difficult to convert our bunch of hoofers into a team that can play in a less agricultural way.

Basically the club is in a mess and frankly the problems seem to go much deeper than appointing a new manager. There is such shortism in football that any incumbent would end up making the best of what he has inherited meaning the same old same old tactics would be used assuming a new manager is concerned about continuing in his job. Isn't that what McCarthy has done and Harris before him?

All I know is that the owner must be so frustrated at having sunk around £150m into the club which ended up with a team serving up utter garbage week in and week out.
    If the owner isn't frustrated enough to look at his part in the club ending up where it has then he isn't as clever as many here seem to think he is.

With the money we have spent we should be in a much better position. We have ended up in the situation we have purely based on Tan's decisions. Firstly in the people he picks to be on his board and the people they then employ and the decisions that they make directly or oversee.

We could be in a much better position with the next managerial move and other tweaks but those decisions will be made by the same people who have seen us arrive at this position so you can see the issue with that.

I'd take Wilder.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If the owner isn't frustrated enough to look at his part in the club ending up where it has then he isn't as clever as many here seem to think he is.

With the money we have spent we should be in a much better position. We have ended up in the situation we have purely based on Tan's decisions. Firstly in the people he picks to be on his board and the people they then employ and the decisions that they make directly or oversee.

We could be in a much better position with the next managerial move and other tweaks but those decisions will be made by the same people who have seen us arrive at this position so you can see the issue with that.
    nobody is denying that we've made many mistakes in the past.
    at the moment we seem to be doing things that you can at least see some logic in.
    I think they were understandably taken in by the initial success under Warnock and thought he'd be able to sustain that and didn't see the huge issues that were building up under his control.
    would they pick a better manager next time? who knows, I think they will at least be looking for someone to work with the youth players we have and to develop signings from lower leagues.
    those are things that Mick McCarthy has done consistently throughout his career if you look at his track record., so I can understand the approach.
    he plays a very agricultural style of football, but he's a proven competent manager. at this point in time we just needed to stabilise while stripping the cost out and bringing players through. hopefully the next appointment we will be in a position to bring someone through who can instill a good playing style too, we will see

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    nobody is denying that we've made many mistakes in the past.
    at the moment we seem to be doing things that you can at least see some logic in.
    I think they were understandably taken in by the initial success under Warnock and thought he'd be able to sustain that and didn't see the huge issues that were building up under his control.
    would they pick a better manager next time? who knows, I think they will at least be looking for someone to work with the youth players we have and to develop signings from lower leagues.
    those are things that Mick McCarthy has done consistently throughout his career if you look at his track record., so I can understand the approach.
    he plays a very agricultural style of football, but he's a proven competent manager. at this point in time we just needed to stabilise while stripping the cost out and bringing players through. hopefully the next appointment we will be in a position to bring someone through who can instill a good playing style too, we will see
    Wouldn’t it be better to bring in a new manager sooner, rather than later so that they can assess the squad, with a view to making changes to it, rather than let McMick have another transfer window?
    I believe that (if there’s money) it should start with recalling Murphy to give us more options out wide and he can play in behind a striker.
    The reason I say this is that there’ll be no transfer fee and the new manager could use the rest of the season to see if it’s worth offering him a new contract.
    If a new manager comes in next summer, then he has little chance to look at the players who are out of contract in Summer 2022 (who might end up being released) and there are plenty of those.

The time for action is now - after our seemingly inevitable drubbing tonight!

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, it's not as simple as it should be because of the piss poor management and lack of philosophy at the club. I think that plenty of us are frustrated by what we're witnessing, and I hope that my post didn't come across as arsey, because it wasn't intended to be that way.

If CCFC was a school, the relevant government body would put it under special measures, due to a lack of development and archaic teaching practices!

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, it's not as simple as it should be because of the piss poor management and lack of philosophy at the club. I think that plenty of us are frustrated by what we're witnessing, and I hope that my post didn't come across as arsey, because it wasn't intended to be that way.

If CCFC was a school, the relevant government body would put it under special measures, due to a lack of development and archaic teaching practices!
    That’s a good point.

It’s a root and branch reform that’s required, but it should include the board, manager and a review of the academy, if only for completeness and to see if there’s anything that could be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Wouldn’t it be better to bring in a new manager sooner, rather than later so that they can assess the squad, with a view to making changes to it, rather than let McMick have another transfer window?
    I believe that (if there’s money) it should start with recalling Murphy to give us more options out wide and he can play in behind a striker.
    The reason I say this is that there’ll be no transfer fee and the new manager could use the rest of the season to see if it’s worth offering him a new contract.
    If a new manager comes in next summer, then he has little chance to look at the players who are out of contract in Summer 2022 (who might end up being released) and there are plenty of those.

The time for action is now - after our seemingly inevitable drubbing tonight!
    I don't agree. we've seen Murphy enough times to know what he offers. yes he'd probably improve us right now, but at a cost and what would we get for that money? we aren't going to suddenly become promotion candidates with him here, or relegation candidates without him. if we finished 9th instead of 14 th with him then what's the point
    we won't be offering him another year so just move on and let Preston pay his wages.
    if the long term aim is for Steve Morrison to take over, have him work alongside Mick, to bring in the kind of player that he wants then he can take over then Mick is out of contract. succession planning

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    That’s a good point.

It’s a root and branch reform that’s required, but it should include the board, manager and a review of the academy, if only for completeness and to see if there’s anything that could be improved.
    Exactly that.

They should all be moving in the same direction, looking to play the same style and knowing how to achieve that.

As it is our board lacks direction and doesn't know what direction it wants the club to travel in outside of the basics and I think it struggles with a lot of those basics too. The club have a manager that can't provide promotion or a change in direction and the academy seems to be producing players (or not) that plug into a team playing an entirely different way.

They are all pulling in different directions and that is being kind and saying our board has a direction. Our board just is at the moment. I can't really describe it to any great degree other than it being a very odd setup even by football standards.

Brilliant post, sums up my own thoughts perfectly.

It's a very fair point about our general failure to improve players, too. In the last 3 to 4 years, the only player I can think of that left us as a better player than when he signed is possibly Etheridge, and even that would have been down to Andy Dibble as opposed to the general coaching setup.

One of our managers went on to manage Man Utd, to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    Brilliant post, sums up my own thoughts perfectly.

It's a very fair point about our general failure to improve players, too. In the last 3 to 4 years, the only player I can think of that left us as a better player than when he signed is possibly Etheridge, and even that would have been down to Andy Dibble as opposed to the general coaching setup.
    how many players even COULD have improved?
    if we were signing players at or past their peak then they're extremely unlikely to improve.
    hoilett, Bamba etc

if we have a strategy to sign more players who CAN improve now then we might start seeing it happen more often

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't agree. we've seen Murphy enough times to know what he offers. yes he'd probably improve us right now, but at a cost and what would we get for that money? we aren't going to suddenly become promotion candidates with him here, or relegation candidates without him. if we finished 9th instead of 14 th with him then what's the point
    we won't be offering him another year so just move on and let Preston pay his wages.
    if the long term aim is for Steve Morrison to take over, have him work alongside Mick, to bring in the kind of player that he wants then he can take over then Mick is out of contract. succession planning
    The idea of getting Murphy back is on the premise that we’d be looking to play a style more in keeping with his strengths. It would be for half a season and if a new manager playing a different style doesn’t like him, then he could let him go. However, if it works out, then there’s the chance of resigning a player without a transfer fee. The alternative would be to fork out money that could be used elsewhere.
    Given that Murphy has had to endure three hoofball managers, then I think that it would be worth a shot and could save money if it works out.