+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Next Manager

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Next Manager

Would be surprised if Wilder came anywhere near us but would be the best we can hope for I think.

Re: Next Manager

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Would be surprised if Wilder came anywhere near us but would be the best we can hope for I think.
    I will be a bit surprised if Mick McCarthy is shown the door. We are in a hole at the moment, but I expect him to be able to ensure safety and a season of youth experience on very little expenditure. I can't see a Top 6 push with the form of the team at the moment, but I don't fear relegation either. I didn't want Mick as manager (although like him as a person and a pundit) but he is no mug and I don't think he is as one dimensional as some are now saying.

However if he does go I can see no reason why the likes of Chris Wilder would not be interested in the job. There a handful of unemployed managers out there who hope and expect to walk into a Premier League, cash-rich Championship (parachute club) or Big Firm job. Most will be disappointed. The rest will be desperate for a club - and Cardiff despite the current austerity and youth strategy is a very attractive club. We have a solid and passionate fan base with room to grow, great facilities, and increasingly effective Academy, seem to be financially stable - albeit dependent on an owner who has continued to subsidise the club through thick and thin, a big modern stadium and a recent history of success.

I'm not sure Wilder is the answer if Mick departs, but I have no doubt he would like the chance. Unlike some he seems to be grounded and self-confident, and has done the hard yards in the lower leagues before his big success getting Sheff Utd to the top. Cardiff is an opportunity for someone like him (if not him).