+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glatzel doing well at Hamburg

Glatzel doing well at Hamburg

Robert Glatzel scored twice today in Hamburg’s 2-2 draw with Nuremberg in Bundesliga 2. Both goals were headers, as was his goal last weekend in a 2-0 victory at Werder Bremen.

So far, Glatzel has scored 6 goals in 9 appearances for Hamburg. His team has only lost once so far this season, but they’ve drawn 4 of their 8 league games.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Re: Glatzel doing well at Hamburg

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Robert Glatzel scored twice today in Hamburg’s 2-2 draw with Nuremberg in Bundesliga 2. Both goals were headers, as was his goal last weekend in a 2-0 victory at Werder Bremen.

So far, Glatzel has scored 6 goals in 9 appearances for Hamburg. His team has only lost once so far this season, but they’ve drawn 4 of their 8 league games.
    There were a few glimpses (all too rare) of his undoubted capability whilst he was here.

Perhaps the reason why he is now playing better in Bundesliga 2 (if it can be compared with the Championship):

• He's on home soil
    • There's nothing lost in translation
    • He has better coaching

Three headed goals in two games. I can’t remember him scoring with his head for City, but he probably did. Eleven goals for Cardiff - at least one must have been a header.

Good on him, sad to see him go.

Three headed goals in two games. I can’t remember him scoring with his head for City, but he probably did. Eleven goals for Cardiff - at least one must have been a header.
    I think something like 7 or 8 of those goals came within the first 10 minutes of him being on the pitch.

They probably have Wingers who can cross.

He's much better than Harris and Collins in my opinion but MM doesn't like anyone that resembles a footballer.
    Maybe we moved him on due to high wages but Mick wouldn't have played him anyway.

Good to see

But wouldn’t have made an impact on this team at all

Interesting to see another former city striker, Guido Bergstaller doing really well in the city of Hamburg too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Interesting to see another former city striker, Guido Bergstaller doing really well in the city of Hamburg too.
    He went and scored 32 goals in 119 appearances in the Budesliga after leaving us.
    Not too shabby a record tbh, considering how shite Schalke have been.

Mick McCarthy came into the club saying Glatzel will be leaving which struck me as odd when he hadn’t seen him train and not much of him playing. I can only presume that he was told Glatzel had to go. One other thing, Cardiff strikers are not likely to score many headers because the primary targets at set pieces are Flint or Morrison - how many of Keiffer’s twenty goals last season were headers? I can only think of four.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    8 goals in 9 appearances for him so far this season for St Pauli in Bundesliga 2. That follows 11 goals in 22 appearances for them last term.

Burgstaller was a really curious signing. He's scored plenty of goals everywhere he's been except Cardiff, where he was barely given a chance. Signed by Ole, scored in his first full appearance (a League Cup game at Coventry), but effectively shelved after just one month of the 2014/15 campaign. Very odd.

8 goals in 9 appearances for him so far this season for St Pauli in Bundesliga 2. That follows 11 goals in 22 appearances for them last term.

Burgstaller was a really curious signing. He's scored plenty of goals everywhere he's been except Cardiff, where he was barely given a chance. Signed by Ole, scored in his first full appearance (a League Cup game at Coventry), but effectively shelved after just one month of the 2014/15 campaign. Very odd.
    Think I saw Burgstaller score in one of the two or three Under 23 matches he played for us - can't remember much about them now, except that his attitude always seemed pretty good to me given what he was going through here.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think I saw Burgstaller score in one of the two or three Under 23 matches he played for us - can't remember much about them now, except that his attitude always seemed pretty good to me given what he was going through here.
    There were some very strange things going on at City when Burgstaller was here. In his own words, he was demoted to the reserves after just a month of the season had passed and then had his contract cancelled by mutual consent in January. He signed for Nuremberg, where he scored 16 goals in 20 Bundesliga2 appearances before moving to the top tier of German football with Schalke.

It seems all the more bizarre when you consider City had paid a fee for him and the likes of Alex Revell and Eoin Doyle were playing up front for City by the time the 2014/15 season ended.

There were some very strange things going on at City when Burgstaller was here. In his own words, he was demoted to the reserves after just a month of the season had passed and then had his contract cancelled by mutual consent in January. He signed for Nuremberg, where he scored 16 goals in 20 Bundesliga2 appearances before moving to the top tier of German football with Schalke.

It seems all the more bizarre when you consider City had paid a fee for him and the likes of Alex Revell and Eoin Doyle were playing up front for City by the time the 2014/15 season ended.
    Potentially contract conditions that appearances would trigger payment clauses?

Certainly a strange one but not the first nor last of that period

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Potentially contract conditions that appearances would trigger payment clauses?
    Burgstaller started just one game in the league and one in the cup. He also made three sub appearances. I can't imagine any appearances clauses were even close to being triggered with those figures.

Turns out Glatzel never did score for City with his head. I'm sitting around waiting for work to be completed on my flat this morning, so I've just gone through all of his 11 goals for the club. Some good finishes to be fair, with Tomlin providing several significant assists. Those were the days!

Burgstaller started just one game in the league and one in the cup. He also made three sub appearances. I can't imagine any appearances clauses were even close to being triggered with those figures.
    This is Cardiff City. Anything is possible when it comes to finances

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    This is Cardiff City. Anything is possible when it comes to finances
    You're right enough. I can see it now: "OK, we're going to buy Burgstaller from you for £2 million, but we'll only pay half of that unless he starts three games for us."

Turns out Glatzel never did score for City with his head. I'm sitting around waiting for work to be completed on my flat this morning, so I've just gone through all of his 11 goals for the club. Some good finishes to be fair, with Tomlin providing several significant assists. Those were the days!

With the 3 Stooges directing the club it's clear players will be recruited and disposed of for weird reasons and often not to the benefit of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    He's much better than Harris and Collins in my opinion but MM doesn't like anyone that resembles a footballer.
    Maybe we moved him on due to high wages but Mick wouldn't have played him anyway.
    Why do we always assume high wages? They don't pay over the odds in Germany don't they?

Lets blame Mick or Brexit for everything , all these well paid players leaving and no one of comparable came in skill wise and we are playing young lads , one might think its a club policy to driver down wages and Mick has been told to play the younger lads this year to see where we are until season end .

Best of luck to the guy but he had plenty of chances here and he couldn't cut the mustard. Maybe German League 2 isnt as physical as the Championship.

There were similar scenarios with Magnus Eikrem, Juan Cala, Javi Guerra and Mats Dæhli.

In a home League cup thrashing 3-0 by Bournemouth on Sept 23, in one of the worst first half displays of the decade, all were in the squad - all bar Burgstaller played. Gabbidon and Young were our joint managers. Only Dæhli featured again on a handful of occasions, the rest never saw a match day squad again.