+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Aquascutum clothes

Aquascutum clothes

I notice that it's available now in TK Maxx. I tried a jumper on but the quality was really poor.
    I wondered if it is now just a name now rather than quality.
    In the same mould as MG or Philips for example where the brand name is still there but the quality certainly isn't

Re: Aquascutum clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I notice that it's available now in TK Maxx. I tried a jumper on but the quality was really poor.
    I wondered if it is now just a name now rather than quality.
    In the same mould as MG or Philips for example where the brand name is still there but the quality certainly isn't
    Barbour isn't what it once was, either.

Hunter wellies aren't as good as they used to be, all went wrong when they closed the Scotland plant and moved production to Asia

They went into administration last year, trading under licence in China. A bought a load of their stuff as soon as I heard and the quality is good, but not sure what stuff TK Max have got hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    They went into administration last year, trading under licence in China. A bought a load of their stuff as soon as I heard and the quality is good, but not sure what stuff TK Max have got hold of.
    Don't TK max just buy job lots and dead stock etc

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Some companies buy up trade marks and don't make any products themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Don't TK max just buy job lots and dead stock etc
    Yes- they have a pretty complex ordering and stock management system and they do order loads of different things from all over the place so you never know what you are going to find. That's the whole point rrally- it's supposed to feel like you are hunting out the bargains. just look at their website- it won't let you search for some brands, you have to go find them.

I've got a lot of time for tk maxx, they can have some really good stock and they are a traditional retailer that does give you a reason to go to a store.

Used to love my aqua scarf back in 88…. stopped wearing it to away games in the end as some of our twatter fans kept trying to nick it off me (tax me as they say)….

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yes- they have a pretty complex ordering and stock management system and they do order loads of different things from all over the place so you never know what you are going to find. That's the whole point rrally- it's supposed to feel like you are hunting out the bargains. just look at their website- it won't let you search for some brands, you have to go find them.

I've got a lot of time for tk maxx, they can have some really good stock and they are a traditional retailer that does give you a reason to go to a store.
    I too like, or should I say liked, TK Maxx for the same reasons.
    Always the chance you'd pick up something cheap but really nice and that few others would have.

O/T but sticking with the theme of brands bit being what they used to be, Nitromors paint stripper.
    Not sure whether it was something to do with EU restricting the potency but it ain't what it used to be.

Lots of labels make up to supply TKM these days and all that price reduction is just a marketing tool, I use to sell to them about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I too like, or should I say liked, TK Maxx for the same reasons.
    Always the chance you'd pick up something cheap but really nice and that few others would have.
    Out of interest - how come past tense?

I don't think they've been able to get the same sort of stock in since Covid.

O/T but sticking with the theme of brands bit being what they used to be, Nitromors paint stripper.
    Not sure whether it was something to do with EU restricting the potency but it ain't what it used to be.
    I tell you what's not the same - Savlon. You try soothing a burn with what's on the market now since the EU banned Iodine!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbsthenewt View Post
    I tell you what's not the same - Savlon. You try soothing a burn with what's on the market now since the EU banned Iodine!
    Iodine is still used in the UK. The EU only banned the use of it to disinfect drinking water.

Did anyone else read this as aquascrotum clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Out of interest - how come past tense?

I don't think they've been able to get the same sort of stock in since Covid.
    Past tense cos I've not been anywhere near town shopping since Christmas 2019

Should try and support the businesses in these torrid times I suppose.
    Might pop into Astey's for a coffee and tea cake soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Did anyone else read this as aquascrotum clothes?
    Sounds like some kind of wetsuit for one's bollocks.

You're not supposed to drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Iodine is still used in the UK. The EU only banned the use of it to disinfect drinking water.
    I agree with you that 1. Iodine is still used in the UK and 2. The EU's ban was for use in sterilisation of water.

However the ban actually caused producers to pull it out of the market for use on *human* wounds fearful of potential liability costs. Savlon's iodine spray and the generic forms of it simply do not exist. You are however able to source large volumes of vetinary iodine online if you want to use that yes for sure that's still being used in the UK.