+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Roger Hunt RIP

Roger Hunt RIP

Another one from my childhood bites the dust, very prolific goalscorer.

Re: Roger Hunt RIP

Just watching it on the news
    83 isn’t a bad innings tho 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    83 isn’t a bad innings tho ��
    It isn’t when you’re 70 !!!

Roger Hunt was generally reckoned to be the man who kept Jimmy Greaves out of the World Cup Final and I find it ironic that they have died within a week of each other - Hunt was an understated player and I bet that, just as it was in their playing careers, it will be Greaves who gets the more column inches.

Hunt was perhaps my Mum’s favourite player in the sixties and when asked why, she’d simply reply “because he’s nice”. He was nice as well, Liverpool’s version of Brian Clark. If caught offside, Hunt would always trot to pick up the ball, bring it back to his opponents and then hand it to them - I can remember an exasperated Bill Shankly saying that he and his coaching staff used to keep on to him to let them go and get the ball themselves, but he never did and they eventually gave up.

��

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    83 isn’t a bad innings tho ��
    When you’re 76 83 is far too young.

I see your point lads
    Born in ‘68 I feel like a teenager lol 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It isn’t when you’re 70 !!!
    😀

First Team

He was one of those players that turns good teams into great teams but never really receives the recognition the flashier players get.

A sixties version of Scholes in the Beckham era , maybe.

As others have said he had a reputation for being a decent man and hopefully he is having a drink with the rest of “that team” (or most of them). RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Roger Hunt was generally reckoned to be the man who kept Jimmy Greaves out of the World Cup Final and I find it ironic that they have died within a week of each other - Hunt was an understated player and I bet that, just as it was in their playing careers, it will be Greaves who gets the more column inches.

Hunt was perhaps my Mum’s favourite player in the sixties and when asked why, she’d simply reply “because he’s nice”. He was nice as well, Liverpool’s version of Brian Clark. If caught offside, Hunt would always trot to pick up the ball, bring it back to his opponents and then hand it to them - I can remember an exasperated Bill Shankly saying that he and his coaching staff used to keep on to him to let them go and get the ball themselves, but he never did and they eventually gave up.

��
    Wrongly generally reckoned though, wasn’t it, Hurst came in for Greaves, Hunt was a more or less constant pick.

In 1966 it was always Moore , Hurst and Peters. However contributions from the likes of Hunt were often invaluable and underrated. A truly great professional, part of the Liverpool set up which Bill Shankly changed, enabling them to begin the long journey from the depths of the old Second Division, to the club they are today. Always stayed in the background, enabling others to get all the glory, a great club man , on and off the field. A humble person, but someone who was the envy of all the clubs on the other side of Stanley Park. Anyone see him play at Ninian ? Anyone have any fond memories of him ? I’d like to know.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    In 1966 it was always Moore , Hurst and Peters. However contributions from the likes of Hunt were often invaluable and underrated. A truly great professional, part of the Liverpool set up which Bill Shankly changed, enabling them to begin the long journey from the depths of the old Second Division, to the club they are today. Always stayed in the background, enabling others to get all the glory, a great club man , on and off the field. A humble person, but someone who was the envy of all the clubs on the other side of Stanley Park. Anyone see him play at Ninian ? Anyone have any fond memories of him ? I’d like to know.
    What was the result of Shankly's 1st game in charge of Liverpool?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wrongly generally reckoned though, wasn’t it, Hurst came in for Greaves, Hunt was a more or less constant pick.
    You’re right, it was Hunt and Greaves through the group stages, but Hurst came in, scored the winner against Argentina in the Quarter Final and played well against Portugal in the Semi and I’ve read a few things which confirm the feeling that Hurst had played his way into the team for the Final and, if Greaves was going to play it would be Hunt who made way - I was only ten at the time, so the impression I have that Ramsey never gave any suggestion that the would that might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    What was the result of Shankly's 1st game in charge of Liverpool?
    Was it something like 6-0 to Cardiff ?

I’m too young to have seen him play for Liverpool against us, but he played a few times for Bolton against City after he signed for them at the end of his career. I saw England beat Wales 3-0 at Ninian Park in 1966 or 67 it must have been and he would probably have played that day.

Was it something like 6-0 to Cardiff ?
    4-0 to us at Anfield wasn’t it with Shankly saying, “We have to aspire to be more like Cardiff”. .............Mad Mick might be saying the same about WBA tonight.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    4-0 to us at Anfield wasn’t it with Shankly saying, “We have to aspire to be more like Cardiff”. .............Mad Mick might be saying the same about WBA tonight.
    You're correct.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/1045

cardiff-pool.jpg