+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Problem With Sacking McCarthy

Only Problem With Sacking McCarthy

Is that squad will still be there for the next manager.

We have snookered ourselves into a situation where we’ve made so many bad signings in recent years and got rid of any talent in the last window, that now the manager is stuck with a squad he can’t even rotate or change the formation of. We’ve bought players who have barely kicked a ball for City before getting loaned out, or sold on the cheap after blowing expensive fees on them. There is zero strategy.

We had 5 centre backs on the pitch tonight, at home, Moore on the bench and throwing kids on to save the day. There is no real pattern of play and we lack pace, quality and creativity across the pitch. Yes the buck stops with the manager, he trains, picks and sets the tactics for the team. But surely it’s time for the board to also take the hit now. Time for them to go or make sweeping changes at that level.

Re: Only Problem With Sacking McCarthy

I disagree we have some decent championship players who I believe will do much much better under a different manager and system.
    Dressing room is lost.

It's just a bad run, which is harder to turn around with a paper thin squad and not helped by bizarre tactics, but we will get our mojo back at some point. We've played some good sides lately, and while our performances have been abject, I wasn't expecting anything from those games from Coventry onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's just a bad run, which is harder to turn around with a paper thin squad and not helped by bizarre tactics, but we will get our mojo back at some point. We've played some good sides lately, and while our performances have been abject, I wasn't expecting anything from those games from Coventry onwards.
    The inability to string a few passes together provides little room for hope this season.

We are in trouble. But I think Mick has lost it and take us down. Someone new has a better chance of keeping us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The inability to string a few passes together provides little room for hope this season.
    All of our players are capable of making a simple pass, the coaches have clearly decided that as a squad where we excel is in aerial duels, so we launch it high at every opportunity. That has been reasonably successful for a couple of seasons but it seems as though teams can deal with that now and we don't have much else to offer.

I was meh before, knowing full well they wouldn't have a clue who to bring in anyway.

After the 5 cbs last night he has to go.

All of our players are capable of making a simple pass, the coaches have clearly decided that as a squad where we excel is in aerial duels, so we launch it high at every opportunity. That has been reasonably successful for a couple of seasons but it seems as though teams can deal with that now and we don't have much else to offer.
    Nah, that's far too absolute. Most of the team are not capable of passing well at all.

I agree with this.

If our players can't play then it is all the more reason for Mick to go as he has said he is happy with the squad on more than one occasion.

If they can play then it points to Mick having to go as he is beyond negative and wants to play sky ball above all else. Losing sky ball at that.

I'd like to see Mick gone and the jokers who picked him and many failed managers before him gone too but we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I disagree we have some decent championship players who I believe will do much much better under a different manager and system.
    Dressing room is lost.
    Point is, having loaned out our wingers etc HOW DO we change the formation?

I'd go as far as saying we can't afford not to sack Mick.

This team is in freefall. He doesn't seem to know what his starting XI is, he doesn't seem to know who his best striker is (Mick it is Flint), and now appears to be lost in the answers to his post game press conference questions.

Can we afford to keep him?

The only issue for me is the people who would be picking his successor. We could end up with better, slightly worse or like for like depending on what madcap method they use to pick the next guy.

The manager is not the problem, the blame lies further up from Vincent Tan downwards.

We all had a good idea what we were going to get from Mick's initial appointment, in fact it has been clear since Neil Harris what our masterplan was.

We have a set of players, some good players some not so good but who are better than what they are producing because we are lacking quality in key areas.

The players bought into the way the manager wanted them to play and although it wasn't pretty, it worked as we were getting results.
    The problem Mick has now is will the players keep playing the way he wants them to or try and do their own thing.
    If it's the latter then the situation can only get worse.

I see similarities with the situation Paul Trollope found himself in (not the style of play obviously).
    The bottom line is we have shipped nine goals in two games and Mick and the players will have to turn this round pretty quickly or a change seems inevitable.

Here's hoping he can

Are you suggesting that if the players weren't instructed to hoof the ball, they could actually be quite a good passing side? I think there are very few decent passers in the squad and I don't believe a new manager could bring about much change. They are simply not natural footballers, the easy things don't come easy to them.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The manager is not the problem, the blame lies further up from Vincent Tan downwards.

We all had a good idea what we were going to get from Mick's initial appointment, in fact it has been clear since Neil Harris what our masterplan was.

We have a set of players, some good players some not so good but who are better than what they are producing because we are lacking quality in key areas.

The players bought into the way the manager wanted them to play and although it wasn't pretty, it worked as we were getting results.
    The problem Mick has now is will the players keep playing the way he wants them to or try and do their own thing.
    If it's the latter then the situation can only get worse.

I see similarities with the situation Paul Trollope found himself in (not the style of play obviously).
    The bottom line is we have shipped nine goals in two games and Mick and the players will have to turn this round pretty quickly or a change seems inevitable.

Here's hoping he can
    The bottom line is that McCarthy IS the problem.

That starting XI was a total disgrace. No one else but him should be held accountable for putting that team out there.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

That starting XI was a total disgrace. No one else but him should be held accountable for putting that team out there.
    And who, after scouring the globe far and wide, picked Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    We are in trouble. But I think Mick has lost it and take us down. Someone new has a better chance of keeping us up.
    Which is strange, I’m sure he was our manager when the same squad won 10 games in a row? How does this happen? I think he has just lost the confidence of them somehow, they just aren’t performing. With an owner who only cares about staying in the championship we really are just going nowhere slowly

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    If our players can't play then it is all the more reason for Mick to go as he has said he is happy with the squad on more than one occasion.

If they can play then it points to Mick having to go as he is beyond negative and wants to play sky ball above all else. Losing sky ball at that.

I'd like to see Mick gone and the jokers who picked him and many failed managers before him gone too but we won't.
    Yes, most people seem to forget that when he arrived and had been taking training sessions, Mick stated that this was the best squad of players he had every inherited. What has gone wrong ?
    Many keep using the excuse that he is playing a team of youngsters but lets remind ourselves that Nelson, Fling and Morrison were appalling last night, as were Pack, Vaulks and Bacuna. Brown was missing.
    Up front Collins was a passenger and giles could not really get going.
    Notice i have named nine players, not one of them would you refer to as a "youngster".

I’d love to know his stats since Tan gave him a 2 year deal for no reason towards the end of the season ( I know PSG were calling etc)

And who, after scouring the globe far and wide, picked Mick?
    The clueless idiots who run the club picked him, but they’re not accountable for the team selection McCarthy made…. He is.

Now… I could imagine a situation where the football geniuses suggested to him that we needed to stop WBA scoring so play defensively, and that McCarthy got frustrated with the interference and picked that team and formation out of spite and ridicule to prove a point, but for me that’s the only way he could come out of this situation with any credit.

The clueless idiots who run the club picked him, but they’re not accountable for the team selection McCarthy made…. He is.

Now… I could imagine a situation where the football geniuses suggested to him that we needed to stop WBA scoring so play defensively, and that McCarthy got frustrated with the interference and picked that team and formation out of spite and ridicule to prove a point, but for me that’s the only way he could come out of this situation with any credit.
    He also said it wasn't a mistake so there is at least a slight chance we might see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Which is strange, I’m sure he was our manager when the same squad won 10 games in a row? How does this happen? I think he has just lost the confidence of them somehow, they just aren’t performing. With an owner who only cares about staying in the championship we really are just going nowhere slowly
    It isn't the same squad, though, as 11 players left in the summer. We have no wingers apart from Giles. Saying that, it has to be said that he seems to have lost the plot.
    I was shocked when he was brought in on a short deal and not in the least bit impressed when he was given a 2 year deal. In fact, I remember saying that he'd be gone by Christmas, but of course I was shot down by the Lemming Mob who agree with everything that the club do.
    If the club can afford it, we need to urgently bring in a new manager, make sure we're not relegated and start building (again) for the future with a progressive playing style. This should absolutely not be yet another dinosaur, though.
    In the longer term it is time for a change up top. The present incumbents are just not delivering and they've had long enough to try and get it right.
    Next time Dalman is interviewed, he needs to be asked to explain why there is no need for a Director of Football because clearly they do. It feels like we're being run by politicians who just fudge every answer they give out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It isn't the same squad, though, as 11 players left in the summer. We have no wingers apart from Giles. Saying that, it has to be said that he seems to have lost the plot.
    I was shocked when he was brought in on a short deal and not in the least bit impressed when he was given a 2 year deal. In fact, I remember saying that he'd be gone by Christmas, but of course I was shot down by the Lemming Mob who agree with everything that the club do.
    If the club can afford it, we need to urgently bring in a new manager, make sure we're not relegated and start building (again) for the future with a progressive playing style. This should absolutely not be yet another dinosaur, though.
    In the longer term it is time for a change up top. The present incumbents are just not delivering and they've had long enough to try and get it right.
    Next time Dalman is interviewed, he needs to be asked to explain why there is no need for a Director of Football because clearly they do. It feels like we're being run by politicians who just fudge every answer they give out.
    It isn't. This is what I have been touching on previously.

People might be questioning his recent actions but he would have to be raving bananas to leave himself so light on certain areas of the squad.

This, for me, is meddling from above, and another symptom of the cost cutting which means we're throwing in kids and loaned out everybody not in the first team that week.

It isn't. This is what I have been touching on previously.

People might be questioning his recent actions but he would have to be raving bananas to leave himself so light on certain areas of the squad.

This, for me, is meddling from above, and another symptom of the cost cutting which means we're throwing in kids and loaned out everybody not in the first team that week.
    reminder that we had to save £30 million ish to replace the parachute payment money