+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious, TEAM for Saturday, to face Reading (past the jokey stage)

Serious, TEAM for Saturday, to face Reading (past the jokey stage)

Smithies
    Ng
    McGuinness
    Flint
    Bagan
    Sang
    Pack
    Ralls
    Giles
    Harris
    Moore

Playing as 442

Re: Serious, TEAM for Saturday, to face Reading (past the jokey stage)

Smithies - Phillips needs to be taken out of the firing line

Ng
    McGuinness
    Flint - The least culpable of the central three
    Brown or Bagan - Bagan could play against teams who are likely to sit back against us but that number is dwindling.

Pack
    Ralls - The downturn in form has coincided with his injury. His place should be under threat from Bowen and Wintle (eventually)

Colwill
    Moore
    Giles

Harris

My thinking about playing Harries further forward (but not by much) than Moore is it gives us someone who Moore can flick the ball onto rather than flicks onto their keeper; can stretch defences by running in behind which in turns opens up space for Moore to hold the ball up and bring Giles, Colwill, midfielders and full backs into play higher up the pitch. It also allows Moore to run onto crosses rather than standing and jumping to fight for them. Moore is too good a player to use be used as a battering ram.

The personnel also offers the formation flexibility as it could become 4-4-2 if under the cosh or 3-5-2 with Ng and Giles as wing backs should midfield be overrun. This means substitutions can be used to cover injuries and replacing tired players instead of needing to use them to change formation.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

Ng
    McGuinness
    Brown or Bagan - Bagan could play against teams who are likely to sit back against us but that number is dwindling.

Pack
    Ralls - The downturn in form has coincided with his injury. His place should be under threat from Bowen and Wintle (eventually)

Colwill
    Moore
    Giles

Harris

My thinking about playing Harries further forward (but not by much) than Moore is it gives us someone who Moore can flick the ball onto rather than flicks onto their keeper; can stretch defences by running in behind which in turns opens up space for Moore to hold the ball up and bring Giles, Colwill, midfielders and full backs into play higher up the pitch. It also allows Moore to run onto crosses rather than standing and jumping to fight for them. Moore is too good a player to use be used as a battering ram.

The personnel also offers the formation flexibility as it could become 4-4-2 if under the cosh or 3-5-2 with Ng and Giles as wing backs should midfield be overrun. This means substitutions can be used to cover injuries and replacing tired players instead of needing to use them to change formation.
    Practically what I mentioned, but you spoilt it by even mentioning Brown !!!!!!!!! He is Absolutely useless

I know Philips has had a few rough days but Smithies back? Come on. His form was wrecked when he was last in the side. It’s amazing how much better players are in the eyes of fans when they DON’T play!

Smithies / Phillips (don't think Phillips did too much wrong last night, have to say I've ignored the Blackburn goals so don't know about there.)

Ng Morrison Flint Bagan
    Ralls/Bacuna
    Pack Colwill
    Giles
    Harris Moore

We don't play with width anyway, whilst Giles could play one side there isn't really anyone competent or effective the other side.

He could still move into space there or swap with others as he certainly is the only one with a bit of pace (Harris aside who looks far more effective upfront).

2 upfront as the striker has become even more isolated than usual.

Trying to put these things together you realise how limited we are in certain positions. Still never an excuse for 5 cbs, drag some full backs from the u23 team if needed Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Smithies / Phillips (don't think Phillips did too much wrong last night, have to say I've ignored the Blackburn goals so don't know about there.)

Ng Morrison Flint Bagan
    Ralls/Bacuna
    Pack Colwill
    Giles
    Harris Moore

We don't play with width anyway, whilst Giles could play one side there isn't really anyone competent or effective the other side.

He could still move into space there or swap with others as he certainly is the only one with a bit of pace (Harris aside who looks far more effective upfront).

2 upfront as the striker has become even more isolated than usual.

Trying to put these things together you realise how limited we are in certain positions. Still never an excuse for 5 cbs, drag some full backs from the u23 team if needed Mick.
    Smithies
    Ng McGuiness Flint Bagan
    Pack
    Sang Ralls Giles
    Colwill
    Moore

Smithies

McGuiness, Pack, Flint

Ng, Sang, Bowen, Ralls, Bagan

Colwill

Moore

Subs
    Phillips
    Nelson
    Brown
    Vaulks
    Evans
    Collins
    Harris

Doh, just realised I left Giles out, stick him on the bench for Brown.

I would go for

Phillips
    McGuiness Flint Brown
    Ng Pack Ralls Bagan
    Colwill Giles
    Moore

it can't be any worse than recently

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post

Ng
    McGuinness

Pack

Colwill
    Moore
    Giles

Harris

Come on that's far too sensible!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Smithies
    Ng
    McGuinness
    Flint
    Bagan
    Sang
    Pack
    Ralls
    Giles
    Harris
    Moore

Playing as 442
    I'd go with 442 as well. At least the players would understand that formation and what their jobs are in it. I'd have Giles and Harris out wide as they are the only players with pace we have. Moore up front with Collwill playing off him. Pick any 2 from 5 for the midfield as they are all pretty much of a muchness at the moment. Ideally we'd be able to recall Wintle.

Practically what I mentioned, but you spoilt it by even mentioning Brown !!!!!!!!! He is Absolutely useless
    I wouldn't disagree with that comment about Brown in a Cardiff Shirt this season but for Northern Ireland he's been decent and there's definitely a defender in there which is why I would never play him at wing back and only as left full back if we are likely to play a team who will dominate the game.

If we want to play more expansive football it's Bagan every time.

Smithies
    Ng
    McGuinness
    Flint
    Bagan
    Sang
    Pack
    Ralls
    Giles
    Harris
    Moore

Playing as 442
    Yes, this team works for me

If MM starts with McGuinness
    Flint he's dead and gone on Monday.

Surprised how many people wouldplay Harris, all about opinions but I just don't see it with him.

Unpopular opinion; wouldn't it be better if we just lost this one so he gets the boot? Do you think some of the players might be thinking that way? A scrappy win via set piece would only prolong this sh1t show.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Unpopular opinion; wouldn't it be better if we just lost this one so he gets the boot? Do you think some of the players might be thinking that way? A scrappy win via set piece would only prolong this sh1t show.
    I can remember people saying this about Dave Jones sides when we were in the middle of a bad run.

much better to win and be comfortable in mid table when we make a change than have to do it in desparation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Surprised how many people wouldplay Harris, all about opinions but I just don't see it with him.
    Me too Harris hasn't scored in 8 league games this seaso he simply isn't a natural striker. Could do worse than giving Simba a go up front alongside Moore.v

GK Smithies

RB Ng
    CD McGuiness
    CD Flint
    LB Bagan

CDM Pack
    CM Ralls

RW Semenyo
    AMC Colwill
    LW Giles

ST Moore

Bench
    Picked from...... Zimba, Nelson, Connelly, Harris, Bacuna, Evans, D'almeida, Phillips, Bowen, Collins, Morrison

No place for Morrison in the 1st team until he fully recovers

I understand Semenyo in the starting 11 is a risk but we have to get pace in the team and up around Moore, other than Giles. Maybe I would start with Evans and have Semenyo on the bench.
    But that's the only way we can get some added pace in the team without going out and getting in a free transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I can remember people saying this about Dave Jones sides when we were in the middle of a bad run.

much better to win and be comfortable in mid table when we make a change than have to do it in desparation.
    Yeah you're right, We need points on the board

Although I do think we will lose.

Smithies

NG
    McGuiness
    Morrison
    Brown

Pack
    D'almeida

Giles
    Colwill
    Evans

Moore

The pontificating about who is up front is worthless. Like trying to choose a captain to sail a ship through the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Me too Harris hasn't scored in 8 league games this seaso he simply isn't a natural striker. Could do worse than giving Simba a go up front alongside Moore.v
    And Moore the natural striker has one?

Smithies

NG
    Flint
    Morrison
    McGuiness

Pack
    Ralls
    Vaulks

Bacuna
    Giles
    Moore

I don't even know what's the best team anymore

Our squad is so so poor and unbalanced. We can't even balance our team towards a hoofball team as we can't hold up the ball in the final third

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Smithies

NG
    Flint
    Morrison
    McGuiness

Pack
    Ralls
    Vaulks

Bacuna
    Giles
    Moore

I don't even know what's the best team anymore

Our squad is so so poor and unbalanced. We can't even balance our team towards a hoofball team as we can't hold up the ball in the final third
    Youve just started a thread wanting MacGuiness moved from RWB. This suggests you wasnt him left back in a 4.?

Smithies
    NG Morrison McGuiness Bagan
    Pack
    Giles Colwill Harris
    Moore Zimba

Give the youngster a go up front. What have we got to lose?