+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 READING. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 READING. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Against a crap team. These are games we need 3 points to avoid the drop.
    Agreed. In the big picture, this defeat was infinitely worst than the drubbings this week. Reading were the worst team we have played and we have lost at home. Forget the so called improvement- we shouldnt be relieved because we have passed it around a bit, it’s the Championship after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Agreed. In the big picture, this defeat was infinitely worst than the drubbings this week. Reading were the worst team we have played and we have lost at home. Forget the so called improvement- we shouldnt be relieved because we have passed it around a bit, it’s the Championship after all.
    Unless theres a change we are going down.

The shambolic mess of a squad maybe too much to overcome anyway.

But lets give ourselves a chance.

Mick out!!! As long as its not Flynn.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Why do you assume Lewj wasn't there?
    I presumed anyone at a football match wouldn't be thinking of typing messages on Social Media sometimes within seconds of games ending in the past or during the game.

Your normally talking to mates etc!!!

Maybe im wrong.

I presumed anyone at a football match wouldn't be thinking of typing messages on Social Media sometimes within seconds of games ending in the past or during the game.

Maybe im wrong.
    Fair enough mate and you may be right but I know Lewj is a long term fan that definitely attends games.

Re: CARDIFF CITY v READING. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    You will still win so chin up
    And of course they did…..

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So what happened? I didn't hear the Reading fans.
    They were singing an anthem that wasn't Welsh....

4 cbs still against a team that looked worse than us at times.

We still finished the match with 4 cbs.

Tired of the defensive nature of how we set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Can't fault the effort....and it's not hoofball....need a break...
    Plenty of hoofs into the box when the option to pass it to the wing for the cross was there (and would have been the better option considering the players we have in the box, and isn't that one of our supposed tactics anyway) plenty of aimless hoofs today.

Sam Bowen was excellent today, madness that he & Ralls were taken off

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Sam Bowen was excellent today, madness that he & Ralls were taken off
    I thought he did well but excellent?

What do you think he did excellently?

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. I'm just asking.

Positives - we are good today, 4-5-1 formation worked. Bowen and Ralls made a difference, the two full backs played well. And Giles was excellent. McCarthy promised changes and made them and they were pretty effective. I think we had about 30 shots.

Negatives - We have only won once at home this season, losing the last 4! Bacuna. We can't score. Mike Flynn could be our manager (God forbid!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    can't work out the formation at all

4-1-4-1 to start and 4-4-2 to end.

StT.
    <><

I think we had 4 players booked yet the main reason there was 10 minutes added time was due to Reading’s ridiculous time wasting but not a player booked, that doesn’t add up.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Positives - we are good today, 4-5-1 formation worked. Bowen and Ralls made a difference, the two full backs played well. And Giles was excellent. McCarthy promised changes and made them and they were pretty effective. I think we had about 30 shots.

Negatives - We have only won once at home this season, losing the last 4! Bacuna. We can't score. Mike Flynn could be our manager (God forbid!).
    What exactly did the full-backs do well? Reading's goal came from Brown's poor header and neither of them offered anything in possession.

The reality is that performance today was one of the best of the season and the problems today were indicative of a very poor transfer window, i.e. stripping out all width at wing and full back positions, and Mick's inability to play that kinda formation previously, rather than our recent form.

If we had played this kind of formation from the start of the season I think we would be well above mid table.

But when poor results started to come Mick, stupidly, stuck with a ultra defensive formation that continued to leak goals. And doubled down some again.

When a packed defense is not working, continuing to pack it seems insane. There was no outlet for the defense and the ball kept coming back to a already low on confidence leaky defense.

It was insanity that it took quite a few hammerings for that particular penny to drop.

But today was much better but did expose, again, our lack of guile, pace and cutting edge in the final third. An issue we have been banging on about since transfer deadline day (and before), when Mick and/or the board, decided to let our last remaining winger leave without replacing him.

Now that 10 defensive players and one striker isn't working for us, we have limited options.

I hope Mick stays with this formation and we catch a lucky break and get a few wins and draws before January. If the players can grow into this s formation and we can add a bit of pace and creativity in January, we will be fine.

If we don't then a relegation scrape is on the cards.

Maybe im wrong.
    Lewj wasn't there today, just mentioned in another thread, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think we had 4 players booked yet the main reason there was 10 minutes added time was due to Reading’s ridiculous time wasting but not a player booked, that doesn’t add up.
    Think Yiadom's foot injury lasted about 5 or 6 minutes on it's own. Add all the subs and time wasting, 10 is about right.

I thought it was a big improvement over previous games even though 0 points, hopefully MM will persevere with the ground based game

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Lewj wasn't there today, just mentioned in another thread, my apologies.
    I have posted after a game though mate. Straight after Bournemouth in frustration the last time.

Phones. They're a blinding invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    I thought it was a big improvement over previous games even though 0 points, hopefully MM will persevere with the ground based game
    Ground based? I saw plenty of balls hoofed from deep midfield into the box when we could have got it out wide with one or two more passes and got a cross in, which is apparently a tactic of ours anyway?

I only watched the stream today, but thought it was the best we've played in a long time. I did wonder what we might have achieved playing NG and Bagan as fullbacks? Didn't understand Giles playing on the right, as he rarely cut inside to shoot, just crossed with his weaker foot. It was nice to Pack go and get the ball from the defence, rather than them hitting a hopeful long ball. I like what I've seen from McGuinness, would be nice to see him play centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Ground based? I saw plenty of balls hoofed from deep midfield into the box when we could have got it out wide with one or two more passes and got a cross in, which is apparently a tactic of ours anyway?
    OK Dembe, with context maybe i should have said based on the previous offerings

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus_Mills View Post
    I only watched the stream today, but thought it was the best we've played in a long time. I did wonder what we might have achieved playing NG and Bagan as fullbacks? Didn't understand Giles playing on the right, as he rarely cut inside to shoot, just crossed with his weaker foot. It was nice to Pack go and get the ball from the defence, rather than them hitting a hopeful long ball. I like what I've seen from McGuinness, would be nice to see him play centre back.
    Yes McGuiness played well today but he’s not a right back, play him at centre half instead of Nelson, who has been really out of form, and see what he can do there

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I thought he did well but excellent?

What do you think he did excellently?

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. I'm just asking.
    Don't recall him misplacing a pass, always looking to get us going forward, was tenacious in midfield and generally looked pretty good all round the pitch. There was a noticeable decline when he and Ralls went off

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Don't recall him misplacing a pass, always looking to get us going forward, was tenacious in midfield and generally looked pretty good all round the pitch. There was a noticeable decline when he and Ralls went off
    Fair enough. I thought he did well and could be one of the better youngsters coming through.

I would just prefer they were being blooded on our and their terms. Not thrown in to a relegation battle but it is what it is I suppose.