+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One for the statisticians....

One for the statisticians....

How many Championship teams have lost six in a row (assuming we lose to Swansea). Given my faith in losing runs ending/law of averages....I am optimistic in at least getting a point there.....

Re: One for the statisticians....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    How many Championship teams have lost six in a row (assuming we lose to Swansea). Given my faith in losing runs ending/law of averages....I am optimistic in at least getting a point there.....
    In the last decade or so, the longest run of defeats suffered in the Championship is 6 or 7. Once it was 5; it has been 10. More often than not, teams with horror runs like that get relegated. Last season our run of 6 on the trot wasn't the worst - Wednesday and Wycombe lost 7. More often than not the number of teams with the longest sequence of losses is 2, sometimes 3.

I think the wurzels lost 8 in a row under Lee Johnson a few years back (which he wasn't sacked for).

Didn't we go on a few bad runs during our champagne football under Dave Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    Our longest winning run under Jones was 5 on the trot, achieved twice. We went 13 games without defeat with him.

Our longest losing run was 4 games on the bounce, achieved in the run in of the 2006/07 season, where we did so twice with a draw in between. 1 point from 9 games, including the opening day of the following season, is the joint worst 9 game run in the club's history. The only worse run was at the start of 1982 when Graham Williams was in charge and Len Ashurst took over, where we drew 1 game and lost 10 in 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Parti Mellow View Post
    Usually in December after he'd won November's manager of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Usually in December after he'd won November's manager of the month.
    Think you mean November! We played 30 games in November under him. Of those we won 6, drew 9 and lost 15.

I've just been looking back at his record and I think I've found a series of results that sums up his time as manager. December 2009. We won away at 2nd placed West Brom and at top half Middlesbrough. We then had Plymouth at home on Boxing day, they were in the bottom 3. We lost 1-0. We then went to bottom side Peterborough, were 4-0 up and drew.