+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Sir Kiers Speech

  1. #1

    Sir Kiers Speech

    Nicely deployed , singing red flag alongside Jerusalem /////////////

    Interesting and bold to hear him reference many times the Blair achievements

  2. #2

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    He's got no charisma at all

    Which considering he was a top QC is surprising

    Utterly hopeless leader with a battered party beneath him

    The Tories are useless and corrupt , lying and inept .

    But there is no opposition

  3. #3

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    I tell you who is a sharp cooky, its Wes Streeting very Blair like , takes no prisoners.

  4. #4
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,933

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I tell you who is a sharp cooky, its Wes Streeting very Blair like , takes no prisoners.
    Wes Streeting is well into my Top 10 of the biggest arseholes in the Parliamentary Labour Party.

    And the competition is fierce!

    A cynical, manipulative, lying racist. His mission in life (like a good number of his Blairite colleagues) is to wage war on socialists and make life safe and comfortable for the rich and powerful.

    He could well end up as the next leader!

  5. #5

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's got no charisma at all

    Which considering he was a top QC is surprising

    Utterly hopeless leader with a battered party beneath him

    The Tories are useless and corrupt , lying and inept .

    But there is no opposition
    Starmer’s lack of charisma is almost a plus for me having had more than my fill of the so called charismatic individual in number ten. I was impressed at first by Starmer when he was Brexit Shadow Minister, not for what side he was on, but, because, very rarely for a politician these days, he was someone who gave the impression of being on top of his subject. Like many though, I’ve found him a disappointment as leader. Geanted, it’s a pretty impossible job with that party, but he seems to have gone out of his way to increase conflict in the party - he lost me when he brought Mandelson in from the cold.

  6. #6

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wes Streeting is well into my Top 10 of the biggest arseholes in the Parliamentary Labour Party.

    And the competition is fierce!

    A cynical, manipulative, lying racist. His mission in life (like a good number of his Blairite colleagues) is to wage war on socialists and make life safe and comfortable for the rich and powerful.

    He could well end up as the next leader!
    Well you are in a spot, if its not Starmer , Streeting try Boris he is a doer

  7. #7

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    He's got no charisma at all

    Which considering he was a top QC is surprising

    Utterly hopeless leader with a battered party beneath him

    The Tories are useless and corrupt , lying and inept .

    But there is no opposition
    Charisma? We don't need another showman.

    Hopeless leader?. I think he's picking his way very carefully through an almost impossible job.

    I listened to every word of his speech and thought it was good. He has to tread a careful line though, which is why it may have come across as under-stated to many, and I do accept that it probably has little impact on the wider electorate.

    I think those of us who can't stand our current leaders need to stick with him for now though. At the moment, what other option do we have?

  8. #8

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Charisma? We don't need another showman.

    Hopeless leader?. I think he's picking his way very carefully through an almost impossible job.

    I listened to every word of his speech and thought it was good. He has to tread a careful line though, which is why it may have come across as under-stated to many, and I do accept that it probably has little impact on the wider electorate.

    I think those of us who can't stand our current leaders need to stick with him for now though. At the moment, what other option do we have?
    agree i,m sticking with starmer for now . i,m getting a feeling alot of staunch tories have had enough of this idiot running our country right now

  9. #9
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,933

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Well you are in a spot, if its not Starmer , Streeting try Boris he is a doer
    There are other Labour MPs apart from Starmer or Streeting.

    If there has to be a leader from the 'centre' (not a 'centrist - aka Blairite) then someone like Andy Burnham - or even Andy Burnham if he became eligible for election - would get my qualified support.

    He has experience (Shadow Health Secretary and Greater Manchester mayor), a personality, is articulate, and has not spent the last 6 years focussed on slandering and expelling socialists while the Tories cock up the country. He kept out of the Chicken Coup and acted with dignity and integrity - rare qualities. He also has a practical policy agenda worked out in the NW on housing, transport, jobs and the (greener) economy. I also think there is a good chance he would try to unite the Labour Party - not shatter it like Starmer.

  10. #10

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There are other Labour MPs apart from Starmer or Streeting.

    If there has to be a leader from the 'centre' (not a 'centrist - aka Blairite) then someone like Andy Burnham - or even Andy Burnham if he became eligible for election - would get my qualified support.

    He has experience (Shadow Health Secretary and Greater Manchester mayor), a personality, is articulate, and has not spent the last 6 years focussed on slandering and expelling socialists while the Tories cock up the country. He kept out of the Chicken Coup and acted with dignity and integrity - rare qualities. He also has a practical policy agenda worked out in the NW on housing, transport, jobs and the (greener) economy. I also think there is a good chance he would try to unite the Labour Party - not shatter it like Starmer.
    Andy Burtonwood be good choice, very friendly with our Ange.

  11. #11

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Future leader right here. (The one on the left!)

    _120781699_gettyimages-1343575146.jpg

  12. #12

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There are other Labour MPs apart from Starmer or Streeting.

    If there has to be a leader from the 'centre' (not a 'centrist - aka Blairite) then someone like Andy Burnham - or even Andy Burnham if he became eligible for election - would get my qualified support.

    He has experience (Shadow Health Secretary and Greater Manchester mayor), a personality, is articulate, and has not spent the last 6 years focussed on slandering and expelling socialists while the Tories cock up the country. He kept out of the Chicken Coup and acted with dignity and integrity - rare qualities. He also has a practical policy agenda worked out in the NW on housing, transport, jobs and the (greener) economy. I also think there is a good chance he would try to unite the Labour Party - not shatter it like Starmer.
    Burnham is not perfect but one thing I like about him is that he is ready to acknowledge any good work done by opponents as well as as criticising them when they go wrong. Politicians of all parties are very loath to do this.

  13. #13

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Burnham is not perfect but one thing I like about him is that he is ready to acknowledge any good work done by opponents as well as as criticising them when they go wrong. Politicians of all parties are very loath to do this.
    Is that because he's free of party politics??

    One hell of a difference making easier popular decisions ,with no one at your back , easy asking Westminster for dosh and criticising from the sidelines than managing the bigger UK picture.

    Labour could have selected and elected him as leader sadly the narrow minded chose not too .

  14. #14

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is that because he's free of party politics??

    One hell of a difference making easier popular decisions ,with no one at your back , easy asking Westminster for dosh and criticising from the sidelines than managing the bigger UK picture.

    Labour could have selected and elected him as leader sadly the narrow minded chose not too .
    Burnham made two unsuccessful bids to become Labour leader. Are you suggesting all those who voted for other candidates are narrow minded?
    They were in case you forgot the other candidates were -
    2010 - Ed Miliband, David Miliband, Ed Balls and Diane Abbott
    2015 - Jeremy Corbyn, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall
    It may be an alien concept but it's democracy. The definition of narrow minded is not "someone who disagrees with you"

  15. #15

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by lostinnewforest View Post
    Burnham made two unsuccessful bids to become Labour leader. Are you suggesting all those who voted for other candidates are narrow minded?
    They were in case you forgot the other candidates were -
    2010 - Ed Miliband, David Miliband, Ed Balls and Diane Abbott
    2015 - Jeremy Corbyn, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall
    It may be an alien concept but it's democracy. The definition of narrow minded is not "someone who disagrees with you"
    Yes I would say narrow mindedness landed the party first with Ed Miliband in 2010 , when David was by far the better option, broader thinker and progressive choice .

    In 2015 its party voters narrowed it self even further by choosing Corbyn , Yvette Cooper would have made a wonderful leader and yes its first female one . ( wonder when they will deliver a female leader ?? )

    Democracy is fine, trouble is the Labour members who elect its leaderv don't really represent actual voters ,if they did they'd have more success at election time ,the iparty members are radical , ideology driven and yes narrow minded .

    They would be in power now if the party politics was not so narrow minded ,full of old 70's style in fighting .

    A brave set of modern progressive policies is needed for Labour to lift it out of its fog , I sincerely hope they appear .

  16. #16

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes I would say narrow mindedness landed the party first with Ed Miliband in 2010 , when David was by far the better option, broader thinker and progressive choice .

    In 2015 its party voters narrowed it self even further by choosing Corbyn , Yvette Cooper would have made a wonderful leader and yes its first female one . ( wonder when they will deliver a female leader ?? )

    Democracy is fine, trouble is the Labour members who elect its leaderv don't really represent actual voters ,if they did they'd have more success at election time ,the iparty members are radical , ideology driven and yes narrow minded .

    They would be in power now if the party politics was not so narrow minded ,full of old 70's style in fighting .

    A brave set of modern progressive policies is needed for Labour to lift it out of its fog , I sincerely hope they appear .
    The 400,000+ members of the Labour party are all radicals, are they? You understand these 'radicals' also voted overwhelmingly for Keir too?

  17. #17

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    The 400,000+ members of the Labour party are all radicals, are they? You understand these 'radicals' also voted overwhelmingly for Keir too?
    I don't think by any means all of the Labour Party members are radical, but I would have thought a lot of those who joined the party in 2015 when Corbyn became leader probably are.

    I wonder if a lot of those who voted overwhelmingly for Sir Keir are wondering whether they made the wrong choice, especially after the conference last week.

  18. #18
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    11,933

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I don't think by any means all of the Labour Party members are radical, but I would have thought a lot of those who joined the party in 2015 when Corbyn became leader probably are.

    I wonder if a lot of those who voted overwhelmingly for Sir Keir are wondering whether they made the wrong choice, especially after the conference last week.
    A lot of the people (mainly young) who joined Labour because they were inspired by Corbyn have left. Membership is down under Starmer and Evans from 570,000 to 400,000.

    I'm sure a lot of the members who voted for Starmer in the leadership election are doing more than wonder if they made the wrong choice. He stood on a platform of 10 Pledges, a commitment to build on the 2017 Manifesto, and a promise to unite the party. He has trashed every promise he made. If he had been honest he would not have won.

    Interesting that next year's Labour Party Conference is in Liverpool. Starmer was heckled in Brighton - I wonder what the response will be next year (if he is still leader) after his op-ed piece in The Sun this weekend.

  19. #19

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    The critical fact is found in election results and we have seen so many Labour defeats, the last being the worse since 1935 , against such a weak government , that suggests Labour membership , movement , grassroots and momentum do not represent modern UK or its voters .

    I would love a decent new vibrant opposition , not one lost in the past , or fear of change , or hatred of Blair or the Tories , its not about us or them politics , for me that is the main issues within the Labour ranks .

  20. #20

    Re: Sir Kiers Speech

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A lot of the people (mainly young) who joined Labour because they were inspired by Corbyn have left. Membership is down under Starmer and Evans from 570,000 to 400,000.

    I'm sure a lot of the members who voted for Starmer in the leadership election are doing more than wonder if they made the wrong choice. He stood on a platform of 10 Pledges, a commitment to build on the 2017 Manifesto, and a promise to unite the party. He has trashed every promise he made. If he had been honest he would not have won.

    Interesting that next year's Labour Party Conference is in Liverpool. Starmer was heckled in Brighton - I wonder what the response will be next year (if he is still leader) after his op-ed piece in The Sun this weekend.
    Liverpool's Labour politicians weren't impressed

    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...per/ar-AAP6y02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •