Thread: Our shocking record of producing young local players

Our shocking record of producing young local players

It's crap and its always been crap

There is huge footballing talent in Cardiff and the clubs catchment area

Yet we fail to unearth enough

There have been exceptions but these are few

I think it's unforgiveable and there are really no excuses

Re: Our shocking record of producing young local players

I heard them saying the same thing on that newish podcast with Nathan Blake.

I struggle to think of many young Cardiffians who are ripping it up at our level or above.

Not being arsey, genuinely can't think of anyone apart from Cabango ......oh..... and I assume we are talking about youngsters who have emerged over the last few seasons.

Lockyer , Connor Roberts, Tyler Roberts might also be considered our catchment area too I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Lockyer , Connor Roberts, Tyler Roberts might also be considered our catchment area too I suppose.
    Tom Lockyer is from Cardiff isn't he? Connor Roberts is a maybe but isn't he a full on Swansea fan? Tyler Roberts grew up in Birmingham so a bit of a stretch. Another Cardiffian is Andrew Hughes at Preston, fairly sure both him and Lockyer were on our books as youngsters

Cardiff has the same base level of talented young players as other similar sized cities, what matters is how the club then develops, academy players aren't "unearthed" they're generally signed quite young

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Tom Lockyer is from Cardiff isn't he? Connor Roberts is a maybe but isn't he a full on Swansea fan? Tyler Roberts grew up in Birmingham so a bit of a stretch. Another Cardiffian is Andrew Hughes at Preston, fairly sure both him and Lockyer were on our books as youngsters

Cardiff has the same base level of talented young players as other similar sized cities, what matters is how the club then develops, academy players aren't "unearthed" they're generally signed quite young
    Looking through the Wales u21's there are another couple of players...

Sion Spence and Sam Pearson.

Spence was on our books but was released.

Pearson has always been at the Wurzels by the looks of it. Cardiff born.

Still, I wouldn't say these are players that are "huge footballing talent". Seems to be much more coming out of the swansea area in fairness. Talking of which, Mark Harris is from Swansea so that could be considered something of a success in terms of scouting considering how keen Swansea are when it comes to finding local talent.

I dunno , I agree with you, it's about having the right kind of facilities and setup to make the most of young people who are athletic, have good hand-eye coordination and a desire to play professional football. We don't appear to have that , although maybe there have been some slight improvements over the last few years judging from what I've read.

Two young lads , Cardiff born , of somali parents were snapped up by man United some years back

I don't think they ever made it but what are man United, Bristol, Swansea, Southampton and other clubs doing on our patch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I heard them saying the same thing on that newish podcast with Nathan Blake.

I struggle to think of many young Cardiffians who are ripping it up at our level or above.

Not being arsey, genuinely can't think of anyone apart from Cabango ......oh..... and I assume we are talking about youngsters who have emerged over the last few seasons.
    We produce good young players , it's just they are signed by everyone else

Like Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We produce good young players , it's just they are signed by everyone else

Like Swansea
    Like who?

Cabango ?

Mark Harris is from Swansea.

Matondo was in our youth teams, Man City got him for peanuts then went to schalke for 11m.

He's not tearing it up but would probably do a good job for us at the minute.

Two young lads , Cardiff born , of somali parents were snapped up by man United some years back

I don't think they ever made it but what are man United, Bristol, Swansea, Southampton and other clubs doing on our patch ?
    It’s common practice, Sludge.

I live in Bristol and locally there are development teams for Cardiff City and Southampton, plus Southampton have a satellite academy in Bath.
    The development teams are considered inferior to the academies (as they’re not owned by the clubs) and we’ve been advised to give them a swerve.
    Whilst not born in Cardiff, my older lad dreams of playing for Cardiff City and leading them to glory one day, so he might be considered an honorary Caaardiff. He considers himself Welsh and wouldn’t have it any other way!

It’s true that the club seems to be behind the others in unearthing talent, though. I’m afraid that this is just another reason why we need change at the top.

I speak to a lot of parents in my role and disappointed at the amount of kids that end up in Bristol City and Swansea City academy. And when I ask why the parents always say there academy is better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s common practice, Sludge.

I live in Bristol and locally there are development teams for Cardiff City and Southampton, plus Southampton have a satellite academy in Bath.
    The development teams are considered inferior to the academies (as they’re not owned by the clubs) and we’ve been advised to give them a swerve.
    Whilst not born in Cardiff, my older lad dreams of playing for Cardiff City and leading them to glory one day, so he might be considered an honorary Caaardiff. He considers himself Welsh and wouldn’t have it any other way!

It’s true that the club seems to be behind the others in unearthing talent, though. I’m afraid that this is just another reason why we need change at the top.
    Youngsters will always slip through the net but I wonder if we have a scouting network at all

Ramsey but apart from that what other local youngsters have we uncovered

Does earnie count ? Wasn't he playing in non league and scoring loads of goals ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    I speak to a lot of parents in my role and disappointed at the amount of kids that end up in Bristol City and Swansea City academy. And when I ask why the parents always say there academy is better.
    Swansea had 6 years , if not more in the premiership but they have always had a knack of unearthing young players locally

Youngsters will always slip through the net but I wonder if we have a scouting network at all

Ramsey but apart from that what other local youngsters have we uncovered

Does earnie count ? Wasn't he playing in non league and scoring loads of goals ?
    Earnshaw joined Cardiff when he was about 16 on a YTS and youth development has changed completely since then. Players aren't "uncovered" they're signed at a very young age and developed through the academy, Ramsey for instance joined Cardiff at 8 years old, most of the players breaking through now joined the club at a similar age.

Youth scouting is extensive, pretty much everyone's watched by someone at some point. If you hit 14/15 and haven't been signed odds are you just aren't good enough. The standard is incredibly high. Swansea have an excellent academy, that's why they've brought players through, not because they have some magical water which naturally makes players better by the time they're "uncovered" by the club. They also have a better track record of playing youngsters so if you're picking between ourselves and Swansea as a parent you'd probably pick them.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Earnshaw joined Cardiff when he was about 16 on a YTS and youth development has changed completely since then. Players aren't "uncovered" they're signed at a very young age and developed through the academy, Ramsey for instance joined Cardiff at 8 years old, most of the players breaking through now joined the club at a similar age.

Youth scouting is extensive, pretty much everyone's watched by someone at some point. If you hit 14/15 and haven't been signed odds are you just aren't good enough. The standard is incredibly high. Swansea have an excellent academy, that's why they've brought players through, not because they have some magical water which naturally makes players better by the time they're "uncovered" by the club. They also have a better track record of playing youngsters so if you're picking between ourselves and Swansea as a parent you'd probably pick them.
    So the question is why have Swansea got an excellent academy ?

And we haven't?

And if we are talking about bringing on youngsters they have always done that for as long as I can remember .......and again the question is why we haven't?

Considering the size of Cardiff , its catchment area compared to Swansea it's a piss poor effort going back decades and decades

It's crap and its always been crap

There is huge footballing talent in Cardiff and the clubs catchment area

Yet we fail to unearth enough

There have been exceptions but these are few

I think it's unforgiveable and there are really no excuses
    Rather strange to be making this point at the very moment we probably have the best under 23 team we have had in the clubs history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Rather strange to be making this point at the very moment we probably have the best under 23 team we have had in the clubs history.
    It remains to be seen whether any of them make the grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    Well when we have a number of young players consistently performing in the first team we can say for certain the claim you make is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    It remains to be seen whether any of them make the grade.
    Indeed