+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting thread about how to rebuild City

Interesting thread about how to rebuild City

Re: Interesting thread about how to rebuild City

He says: "A number of players that have been brought in to suit a single manager's style of play only to be deemed unsuitable for another manager's style."

The example he uses is Jonny Williams - signed by McCarthy, released by McCarthy.

"Cardiff don't have to spend £££ on players. Just look at Brentford. They signed Emiliano Buendía for £1.35mil before selling him for big money this summer."

Buendia played for Norwich, not Brentford. I gave up at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He says: "A number of players that have been brought in to suit a single manager's style of play only to be deemed unsuitable for another manager's style."

The example he uses is Jonny Williams - signed by McCarthy, released by McCarthy.
    yeah I noticed that too

you could arguably say that his points on the academy are already being enacted as we are bringing through many players at the moment.
    also his point about changing manager every 2 years and managers setting the philosophy I can see in general, but in actual fact the last 3 managers have all been pretty similar in terms of philosophy and players so I wouldn't say thats the problem. we are consistently sticking to a philosophy, just that philosophy is shit football.

also recruitment - let's do it better, is of course a great idea but every club in existence are trying to do that.
    do something with data is very vague too.

I actually think that the rebuild needs to be further reaching, to include the commercial department. The club’s engagement with fans is shocking and the shop (including the kit offer) could be so much better, but like everything else feels like they’re just coasting.
    Just look at some of the lovely special edition just from the likes of Ajax… Yes, we’re not Ajax or Manchester United, but the club needs to be more embedded in the culture of Cardiff and surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I actually think that the rebuild needs to be further reaching, to include the commercial department. The club’s engagement with fans is shocking and the shop (including the kit offer) could be so much better, but like everything else feels like they’re just coasting.
    Just look at some of the lovely special edition just from the likes of Ajax… Yes, we’re not Ajax or Manchester United, but the club needs to be more embedded in the culture of Cardiff and surrounding area.
    I’m not sure if there’s a club in the UK that’s more un-embedded that cardiff city fc is in the local community.
    Maybe that’s why only about 5% of the population watch us?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    "Cardiff don't have to spend £££ on players. Just look at Brentford. They signed Emiliano Buendía for £1.35mil before selling him for big money this summer."

Buendia played for Norwich, not Brentford. I gave up at that point.
    To be fair if you'd have kept going you'd have seen he immediately noticed his mistake but couldn't amend it. Agree about the Jonny Williams example though

Interesting.

I do think the club have drifted since the rebrand, which as awful as it was, did at least present a vision.

Since then it feels a bit 'patchworky'. A bit 'plaster on a gaping wound-y'. I'm not sure what the vision is, where the clubs ambition is, what the philosophy is. The owners seem pretty disinterested, but not disinterested enough to sell. They want the premier league but not enough to get there. The academy has typically been underperfoming, the managers pretty uninspiring to say the least. Even the fans, lets be honest, we've lost something in recent years, probably as a result of the rebrand and then the general mediocrity.

I like the idea of a Director of Football tbh, a strong focus on youth and an injection of a positive vision, ideally coming from the top, outlining where the club is going.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I do think the club have drifted since the rebrand, which as awful as it was, did at least present a vision.
    What was that ‘vision’ exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Interesting.

Since then it feels a bit 'patchworky'. A bit 'plaster on a gaping wound-y'. I'm not sure what the vision is, where the clubs ambition is, what the philosophy is. The owners seem pretty disinterested, but not disinterested enough to sell. They want the premier league but not enough to get there. The academy has typically been underperfoming, the managers pretty uninspiring to say the least. Even the fans, lets be honest, we've lost something in recent years, probably as a result of the rebrand and then the general mediocrity.

I like the idea of a Director of Football tbh, a strong focus on youth and an injection of a positive vision, ideally coming from the top, outlining where the club is going.
    People are always saying the club has no philosophy, sadly it does - when a team plays in a very similar, very boring way for most of a decade, you have to think that it is the way that those at the top of the club wants things to be done. Whenever a manager leaves we get some vague talk about a more attractive playing style, but nothing ever comes of it and things just carry on as they were - as I’ve mentioned a few times, there is a “Cardiff way” and it’s played out every week for us - I see no evidence whatsoever of a commitment from the decision makers at the club to changing how the first team plays.