+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flynn - Next Cardiff manager ?

Re: Flynn - Next Cardiff manager ?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    For all of the reasons I have previously mentioned.

Why wouldn't he deserve a chance ? 'Cause he's a manager in L2 ?

You say he failed to get them promoted but I think that when you consider he literally had no money to sign players, getting to the POs is more of a success than a failure. Logic would suggest that if he actually had some money he might be able to achieve even more.

It's obviously a risk. I hope he isn't out of his depth if he comes here. But if you're willing to give the likes of Harris, McCarthy, Trollope and Slade a chance at this level, I don't think it's madness to give MF a chance.

Like you said, he's done well.
    I'd rather us take a risk and punt on Flynn or another potential good manager rather than the same old dinosaurs that have been doing the rounds for years.

Vera

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    In league 2...

Sure he's done well there but like I've said, the only reason he gets brought up here is because we are close to Newport. He's failed to get them promoted twice, why does that deserve a championship job?
    To be fair, Newport were cheated out of promotion last season

I'd hope we set our sights a little higher for our next manager though

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Looking at the table Newport are bottom half League 2. I think he realises hes going nowhere there and better to leave before they sink lower.

I doubt an ambitious L1 club would want him maybe hes been tapped up by a L2 or National League club.

Hes done nothing to get a job for us. However im concerned slightly as hed be cheap and available.

Badly need 3 points now Saturday so Flynn ends up at somewhere like Tiverton Town or Yeovil before we look to employ someone.
    I agree mate but now look at who runs our club and will be making the ultimate decision. We're dooooooomed

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I'd rather us take a risk and punt on Flynn or another potential good manager rather than the same old dinosaurs that have been doing the rounds for years.
    I'm ambivalent about Flynn. But I'm leaning towards this.

He has done a good job at Newport in difficult circumstances but not good enough to get a job at a championship club. That said I think he would do a better job than MM is at the moment. Would prefer either giving Morrison a short term go to see what he can do or Chris Wilder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewsbury Blue View Post
    He has done a good job at Newport in difficult circumstances but not good enough to get a job at a championship club. That said I think he would do a better job than MM is at the moment. Would prefer either giving Morrison a short term go to see what he can do or Chris Wilder.
    MF not good enough for a championship job but Morison is worth a pop ?

C'mon fella.

MF not good enough for a championship job but Morison is worth a pop ?

C'mon fella.
    Apparently, Sol Bamba, having never managed a game at any level is somehow worth a pop too.

I don't think it matters whether Flynn has won a promotion or not, neither do I have a problem that he's never managed higher than league 2. Without doubt County have overachieved with Flynn in charge and have been desperately unlucky in two playoff finals. Newport have never lacked bottle for the big occasion and have always been well motivated. From the outside looking in the club has appeared to be closely knit and team spirit has been high. It's also my opinion that Flynn speaks well and has shown himself to be very knowledgeable about the game.

Managers have to start somewhere. Similarly old experienced heads lose their way. Some fans look at promotion winning managers, say Wilder and Hughton, yet how many would recommend Warnock and Mackay? There are plenty of top managers who have failed at clubs, yet done brilliantly elsewhere.

No manager with any ambition is coming here… which means we’ll get another dud.

I can see the job Ad now.
    Puppet Needed: Must be used to working with….
    Clueless interference from above, a level of future investment almost certain to be next to nothing, a squad full of NFL punters…

If I can’t get at all enthused about the team I’ve supported for 40+ years what chance has an ambitious, progressive manager got to be enthused about with that as the job Ad

Currently we’re a Championship club by name and recent history only

Slade gets a lot of crap but he was Mick the first time round. Cutting the squad to bare bones and got us an 8th placed finish.

As for the OP.
    Flynn? No.

About as many credentials as Solskjaer has for being United manager but having not played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Ha very true … I’ve heard Chris Houghton is available
    Not a bad shout. I wanted him here all those years ago - just after DJ left?

Help an old man with his memory, but didn't he have an interview along with Alan Shearer?

He's spent the last few weeks blaming his own players in the press for their poor form, players he signed mind.

Mr Newpart Cwenty the self confessed Liverpool fan.

No thanks.

I think it's also worth mentioning that when I went to watch Cwenty a few weeks ago, it was ....believe it or not.... a far far worse spectacle than anything I've seen at City this year. So if we were taking a gamble on a manager I'd at least want the entertainment factor raised a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Not a bad shout. I wanted him here all those years ago - just after DJ left?

Help an old man with his memory, but didn't he have an interview along with Alan Shearer?

Houghton? Why do people call him Houghton?

Harris - Promoted from league 1, kept Millwall stable in this league for a couple of years

Mick - Come on, he’s far more experienced and travelled than Flynn will ever be.

Trollope and Slade, didn’t want either of them, Slade couldn’t get promoted from the lower leagues so I don’t know how he ended up getting the job. I’d rather we stay away from appointments like that

Logic wouldn’t suggest he’d work well with more money. Look at Warnock, his best signings were free transfers, the minute he was given money he blew it. Do you honestly think any other championship club would give him a ring? He’s getting another league 2 job, a championship job would be lunacy.

And yes he doesn’t deserve a chance because he’s a league 2 manager. It’s a completely different level to us and he’s failed (yes failed, Morecombe don’t have a pot to piss in either) to get out of there twice. Let another league 2 club have him and we can make a serious appointment when Mick ****s off
    Quite.

When Mick is sacked the club will appoint Hughton. I’m sure of it. Even Pulis is too far gone.

Either that or some really dull, cheap, uninspiring appointment that no one wants, like Harris/Slade etc.

But definitely not something imaginative like an up and coming progressive footballing manager, even, dare I say it, from Europe.

Flynn a big risk. Bellamy or Wilder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite.

When Mick is sacked the club will appoint Hughton. I’m sure of it. Even Pulis is too far gone.

Either that or some really dull, cheap, uninspiring appointment that no one wants, like Harris/Slade etc.

But definitely not something imaginative like an up and coming progressive footballing manager, even, dare I say it, from Europe.
    Personally I'd push the boat out for Wilder, failing that look abroad as you said. The club won't show any imagination and will get the cheap option as per usual.

Clubs like Barsnley and Swansea have shown imagination in recent years with their appointments and yet we have fans clamouring for a league 2 manager, it's beyond me.

Personally I'd push the boat out for Wilder, failing that look abroad as you said. The club won't show any imagination and will get the cheap option as per usual.

Clubs like Barsnley and Swansea have shown imagination in recent years with their appointments and yet we have fans clamouring for a league 2 manager, it's beyond me.
    I don’t think anyone in their right mind wants flynn…..one thing for sure I have no faith in our board, failure after failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    Flynn a big risk. Bellamy or Wilder for me.
    Flynn's a risk but Bellamy isn't?

Russell Martin finished 19th in League One and then 13th. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I don’t think anyone in their right mind wants flynn…..one thing for sure I have no faith in our board, failure after failure.
    Whats wrong with Flynn ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Quite.

I don't think the league or position is always indicative of the quality of a manager

Sean Dyche only got number 1 because Malky left
    Potter was manager of some random Swedish team for years before Swansea
    Dean Smith managed Wallsall for years

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Not for me.
    me neither. We must stop taking the likes of Warnock, Harris and now McCarthy and set our sights higher.
    This has been our downfall for the past 6-7 years

Russell Martin finished 19th in League One and then 13th. Just saying.
    I was talking about Potter and Cooper. Potter did a fantastic job in Sweden, Cooper had worked extensively with the English youth teams. Both did well there.