+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brexit Plus ? Higher Wage Economy

Brexit Plus ? Higher Wage Economy

I do wonder if those type of tough , manual or dirty jobs will now attract a decent wage for Abattoirs , Farming Labour , HGV , Care Workers ,Cleaner and hospitality industry workers , as we see a welcome decline on agencies exploiting European migrants workers who are willing to work for far less than a UK worker ..

Re: Brexit Plus ? Higher Wage Economy

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I do wonder if those type of tough , manual or dirty jobs will now attract a decent wage for Abattoirs , Farming Labour , HGV , Care Workers ,Cleaner and hospitality industry workers , as we see a welcome decline on agencies exploiting European migrants workers who are willing to work for far less than a UK worker ..
    No.

Saying that Im looking forward to the punch ups in supermarkets this Christmas with food shortages.

I do know of one HGV driver who is over the moon he just got a £5k rise

If wages rise, the cost of living will rise with it.

I know of a Doctor who had a HGV licence from his Army days 20 year s ago, that has just been written too by the Department of Transport.
    Highlighting the opportunity that exists right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    I know of a Doctor who had a HGV licence from his Army days 20 year s ago, that has just been written too by the Department of Transport.
    Highlighting the opportunity that exists right now.
    I've seen the same letter.

Signed by no less than Baroness Vere of Norbiton and one or two others.

There's lots of emerging anecdotal evidence that what are generally considered working class jobs are seeing some rises above the norm. That's great news, as long as inflation doesn't wipe it out, or it lead to pricing them out of being competitive.

This is probably the time for decades for kids leaving education to get a job and for people looking for news jobs. No one wants supply chain problems, but there is a quite clear potential positive here for many of us and our kids.

lets hope that Agencies now disappear and companies take people on and offer them job security and value them, as in the past they have just been a commodity to pick up an use and then discard when they are done with

And zero hour contracts abolished forever

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    And zero hour contracts abolished forever
    I totally get how they can exploit many people, but some people love zero hour contracts. If you have inconsistent work or are a tradesman with unreliable hours or caring responsibilities, it can work in your favour to not have any fixed work commitments, but the ability to earn when you want to.

I think having a right to a contract after a set period is a better way to go, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    lets hope that Agencies now disappear and companies take people on and offer them job security and value them, as in the past they have just been a commodity to pick up an use and then discard when they are done with
    That's capitalism for you

Higher wages will just mean higher prices. For those industrys which wont be getting an increase inflation will cripple us, not to mention those on universal credit.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Higher wages will just mean higher prices. For those industrys which wont be getting an increase inflation will cripple us, not to mention those on universal credit.
    Especially now they are knocking 80 quid a month off it

Report on Wales today about a woman from Bettws, Bridgend , a very poor area and what it would mean to her losing 20 quid a week , it's not far off a food bill

It’s a joke for Brexiteers (the architects of it, not the fools who followed them) to claim it was all about raising wages. Laughable. The main reason - apart from xenophobia- was to trash the working pay and conditions and minimum standards that the EU (including UK) had in place.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Especially now they are knocking 80 quid a month off it

Report on Wales today about a woman from Bettws, Bridgend , a very poor area and what it would mean to her losing 20 quid a week , it's not far off a food bill
    Yep. The problem is £20 to the person making these ridiculous decisions is a glass of wine. Those in government simply cant comprehend that £20 a week to someone on universal credit is the difference between them just staying afloat or drowning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    It’s a joke for Brexiteers (the architects of it, not the fools who followed them) to claim it was all about raising wages. Laughable. The main reason - apart from xenophobia- was to trash the working pay and conditions and minimum standards that the EU (including UK) had in place.
    Xenophobia was a huge part of brexit , take our borders back , Eastern Europeans taking all our jobs , they are trying to alter the shape of apples etc

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yep. The problem is £20 to the person making these ridiculous decisions is a glass of wine. Those in government simply cant comprehend that £20 a week to someone on universal credit is the difference between them just staying afloat or drowning.
    Grant Schapps said he really understood what people are going through

Which is of course cobblers

If prices go up with wages then why is minimum wage such a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Nonsense of course.

But it is typical that whenever there is good news, in the absence of any sensible way to counter it, people just call other people racists and xenophobes.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum, the UK always exceeded the EU in terms of conditions at almost every level; maternity leave, holiday pay, minimum wage (which doesnt exist in the EU) were always higher in the UK than the EU. It is an element of the EU which is wholly positive btw - it's helped to raise standards in eastern europe etc.

The argument you make is thus pretty nonsensical, which is probably why you just call people racist.

Incidentally, the hope of raising wages at the lower end was a key plank of the leave campaign - even the In campaign admitted it could be true! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aign-says.html

There's a reason lower income groups overwhelmingly voted for it and it's not because they are thick and believe everything a paper tells them, or because they are xenophobes.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nonsense of course.

But it is typical that whenever there is good news, in the absence of any sensible way to counter it, people just call other people racists and xenophobes.

As has been pointed out ad nauseum, the UK always exceeded the EU in terms of conditions at almost every level; maternity leave, holiday pay, minimum wage (which doesnt exist in the EU) were always higher in the UK than the EU.

The argument you make is thus pretty nonsensical, which is probably why you just call people racist.

Incidentally, the hope of raising workers at the lower end was a key plank of the leave campaign - even the In campaign admitted it could be true! https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...aign-says.html

There's a reason lower income groups overwhelmingly voted for it and it's not because they are thick and believe everything a paper tells them, or because they are xenophobes.
    Well there is a reasonable summary for causes of the collective idiocy that gripped 51% of voters on that shameful day here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...vour_of_Brexit

It doesn't seem to mention an aspiration to raise wages for "less skilled" workers but the other reasons you dismiss seem front and central like 1/3rd of voters mentioned immigration and a half "sovereignty". (Those terms are academic codes for racism BTW.) It also points to the age, gullibility in swallowing rightwing media-fueled tropes, and, educational profile of leave voters being a little closer to the characterizations you dismiss.

Sorry to piss on your chips.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Well there is a reasonable summary for causes of the collective idiocy that gripped 51% of voters on that shameful day here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes...vour_of_Brexit

It doesn't seem to mention an aspiration to raise wages for "less skilled" workers but the other reasons you dismiss seem front and central like 1/3rd of voters mentioned immigration and a half "sovereignty". (Those terms are academic codes for racism BTW.) It also points to the age, gullibility in swallowing rightwing media-fueled tropes, and, educational profile of leave voters being a little closer to the characterizations you dismiss.

Sorry to piss on your chips.
    Sorry, you are wrong. Wanting a different immigration system does not equal racism. It may be academic code for racism, but academics suffer from confirmation bias more than anyone.

Likewise, sovereignty means having greater control over decisions. Estonia wanted sovereignty when it left the USSR. Scottish Independence is about sovereignty. Ireland wanted sovereignty in the 1920's. You need to seperate the two concepts out, rather than apply your intepretation of it and assume everyone has the same conclusion.

Incidentally, votes for far-right and racist parties are far higher in the EU than in western nations outside it, which rather suggests that your analysis isnt true. If people who had concerns over laissez-faire immigration policies or wanted more control over their own laws were just out and out racists, then this would be reflected in which parties they vote for.

Sorry to piss on your fries.

First Team

Sorry, you are wrong. Wanting a different immigration system does not equal racism. It may be academic code for racism, but academics suffer from confirmation bias more than anyone.

Likewise, sovereignty means having greater control over decisions. Estonia wanted sovereignty when it left the USSR. Scottish Independence is about sovereignty. Ireland wanted sovereignty in the 1920's. You need to seperate the two concepts out, rather than apply your intepretation of it and assume everyone has the same conclusion.

Incidentally, votes for far-right and racist parties are far higher in the EU than in western nations outside it, which rather suggests that your analysis isnt true. If people who had concerns over laissez-faire immigration policies or wanted more control over their own laws were just out and out racists, then this would be reflected in which parties they vote for.

Sorry to piss on your fries.
    It's not my analysis. I posted evidence. You're conjecturing ... again.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    It's not my analysis. I posted evidence. You're conjecturing ... again.
    It's your analysis that wanting managed immigration and greater national sovereignty is "academic codewords for being racist". I'm saying that is fundamentally wrong. Equally, if I said Plaid Cymru or the SNP's driving force was racism and xenophobia, I would be wrong.

I'm also saying the hotbed for global far-right support is in the EU. It is. Loo kat Hungary, 80% support EU membership, and Viktor Orban gets 50% of the vote. A clear cross-over. Even Michel Barnier, as EU as it gets was talking about sovereignty and limiting non EU immigration in the last few weeks
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/25/u...gbr/index.html

Personally I think you should reset your bias and look at these things afresh

First Team

It's your analysis that wanting managed immigration and greater national sovereignty is "academic codewords for being racist". I'm saying that is fundamentally wrong. Equally, if I said Plaid Cymru or the SNP's driving force was racism and xenophobia, I would be wrong.

I'm also saying the hotbed for global far-right support is in the EU. It is. Loo kat Hungary, 80% support EU membership, and Viktor Orban gets 50% of the vote. A clear cross-over. Even Michel Barnier, as EU as it gets was talking about sovereignty and limiting non EU immigration in the last few weeks
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/25/u...gbr/index.html

Personally I think you should reset your bias and look at these things afresh
    Actually you're wrong. By definition all geo-political barriers that prevent the free movement of people are forms of looser or tighter racism.