+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Iwan Roberts, wholly inappropriate

Iwan Roberts, wholly inappropriate

To come out and publicly say Bacuna shouldn't play for us again is ridiculous.

Bacuna has played right back, defensive midfield, number 10, wing back and winger for us.

He did ok at right back and did ok at defensive midfield.... I would say awful in the other positions, especially this season, but to pick on him is really poor form Iwan.

Yes he's had a poor season but I wouldn't say any worse than some of the other experienced players at the club, others who aren't being played out of position.

Like I've said before, I don't think that any particular player should be picked on... Maybe it's also my management style that when you're struggling it's collective responsibility to put it right. It's not the players fault they are being played out of position and have zero pace and creativity around them.

Re: Iwan Roberts, wholly inappropriate

He’s paid to give an opinion and he’s given it. There might well be others he should focus on as well, but I don’t see it as an issue.

He also singled Sean Morrison out for criticism;-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-play-21735189

The Elis Jones feast of football episode that was taken from is worth a listen because it puts what Iwan and Gabbs said in some context - I was a bit surprised at what was said about Bacuna, but, certainly in the twenty minutes I saw of the game, he did very little and it's been the same from him in quite a few matches this season.

Neil Harris thought Bacuna could play wing back, Mick McCarthy doesn't, but, bafflingly to me, our manager thinks he can do a job as an attacking midfielder/number ten. Even though I've no great faith in him as a central midfielder, he deserves the chance to be given a go in what Neil Warnock thought was his best position. We have lacked energy in central midfield lately and Bacuna would supply that - maybe we'll see him, Ralls and Pack starting as a three today?

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    To come out and publicly say Bacuna shouldn't play for us again is ridiculous.

Bacuna has played right back, defensive midfield, number 10, wing back and winger for us.

He did ok at right back and did ok at defensive midfield.... I would say awful in the other positions, especially this season, but to pick on him is really poor form Iwan.

Yes he's had a poor season but I wouldn't say any worse than some of the other experienced players at the club, others who aren't being played out of position.

Like I've said before, I don't think that any particular player should be picked on... Maybe it's also my management style that when you're struggling it's collective responsibility to put it right. It's not the players fault they are being played out of position and have zero pace and creativity around them.
    He’s right though, Bacuna barely tried on Tuesday. Seemed to sulk the whole way through the second half especially. Not what is expected from a professional and as an ex-pro Roberts is qualified to call him out on it

I've watched the first goal against West Brom a few times and if anyone should never play for us again it's Vaulks for his completely disinterested attempt at blocking the shot

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I've watched the first goal against West Brom a few times and if anyone should never play for us again it's Vaulks for his completely disinterested attempt at blocking the shot
    I have never rated Bacuna and his recent appearances have been awful. Vaulks is a strange one, a friend within the club setup has said that in training he is really decent, but the collective thought of the team is that currently McCarthy has no plan and the play is random. Vaulks looks like a player who is being dragged in all directions and is frustrated, I wouldn't give up on him yet. He plays better with Ralls next to him, Pack has the speed of a slug and Bacuna is unreliable.

Iwan who???

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I have never rated Bacuna and his recent appearances have been awful. Vaulks is a strange one, a friend within the club setup has said that in training he is really decent, but the collective thought of the team is that currently McCarthy has no plan and the play is random. Vaulks looks like a player who is being dragged in all directions and is frustrated, I wouldn't give up on him yet. He plays better with Ralls next to him, Pack has the speed of a slug and Bacuna is unreliable.
    Fair points mate and you can see that the players are frustrated but as a professional that should never leak into performances. Suck it up and give 100%

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Probably the worst attempt at a block I've seen.

Only chance he had of 'blocking' that was if it was clearing the Canton Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Probably the worst attempt at a block I've seen.

Only chance he had of 'blocking' that was if it was clearing the Canton Stand.
    Poor mate, disinterested

The team more than deserved the kicking Roberts & Gabbidon gave them on the podcast. Bacuna wasn't the only one singled out for criticism and they were absolutely right about Bacuna's (and a few others) complete lack of effort.

You can say "oh well he's actually this position" all you like, that doesn't excuse not trying, especially when you're as well paid as these players are

Iwan Roberts calling it like it is and well done to him.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The team more than deserved the kicking Roberts & Gabbidon gave them on the podcast. Bacuna wasn't the only one singled out for criticism and they were absolutely right about Bacuna's (and a few others) complete lack of effort.

You can say "oh well he's actually this position" all you like, that doesn't excuse not trying, especially when you're as well paid as these players are
    Yup, some of them gave up trying. It'll be interesting to see the response today.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Iwan Roberts calling it like it is and well done to him.
    I don't disagree that the whole team and manager deserve criticism .. but I thought it was unfair to pink on a player playing out if position when others are playing equally as bad in their more natural position

Vaulks is a strange one, a friend within the club setup has said that in training he is really decent, but the collective thought of the team is that currently McCarthy has no plan and the play is random. Vaulks looks like a player who is being dragged in all directions and is frustrated, I wouldn't give up on him yet.
    Vaulks has no composure at all and displays very little common sense on the field. He’s also frequently petulant if things aren’t going his way.

If you remove his long throws and his ability to hammer home the occasional goal from long distances from the equation, there’s very little left. Vaulks is a poor player by Championship standards. I’m not surprised that the Welsh management don’t want him in their squad.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Vaulks has no composure at all and displays very little common sense on the field. He’s also frequently petulant if things aren’t going his way.

If you remove his long throws and his ability to hammer home the occasional goal from long distances from the equation, there’s very little left. Vaulks is a poor player by Championship standards. I’m not surprised that the Welsh management don’t want him in their squad.
    What are your thoughts on Bacuna? Apparently, Morrison's hip/hips are pretty bad which is why his running is so laboured. Not that he wwas ever fleet of foot....

What are your thoughts on Bacuna?
    His body language was poor the other night, that's for sure. Bacuna's a strange one. To be honest, I've never really known what to make of him. He's one of those players who doesn't appear to have a genuine position. He obviously has ability and shows it on occasions, but he's another who frequently lacks composure on the ball, especially in the final third.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

I dont think his long throws are that good.

Leggs were a real weapon for us at the time. Vaulks dont have the same pace.

It's always harsh to single out one player when the whole team is struggling. I also think he's been criticised for Mick's choice of playing him in an attacking role.